The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-18-2013, 04:38 PM

Default Old Washburn

Been looking at switching to a shorter scale classical for a while now. Been out to several shops and stores and have been rather disappointed in what I've found. First there seem to be very few manufacturers out there that produce a short scale (640mm) classical guitar. Don't have a lot of money to spend on this, but have upped my price range to the $1500 level and I'm amazed or maybe appalled at how many $1000 classical guitars sound like crap. But that's not the question I have.

My current classical is an old Washburn, just about 30 years old now. It's a C100S model and as far as I can tell and have been able to find digging around on the web, was one of their "better" classical models 30 years ago, but Washburns were not 'high-end' guitars back then. I believe the 'S' stands for solid wood, but I haven't been able to determine if that means the cedar top is solid or if the top + the B&S are all solid. Can't tell where it was built, nothing in the label says anything about it's origin. Anyone have any references to the history of Washburn guitars or can point me to a resource to do more digging?

Thanks.
G.V. Rubio Estudio
Rainsong Shorty
Old 01-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musictag View Post
Been looking at switching to a shorter scale classical for a while now. Been out to several shops and stores and have been rather disappointed in what I've found. First there seem to be very few manufacturers out there that produce a short scale (640mm) classical guitar. Don't have a lot of money to spend on this, but have upped my price range to the $1500 level and I'm amazed or maybe appalled at how many $1000 classical guitars sound like crap. But that's not the question I have.

My current classical is an old Washburn, just about 30 years old now. It's a C100S model and as far as I can tell and have been able to find digging around on the web, was one of their "better" classical models 30 years ago, but Washburns were not 'high-end' guitars back then. I believe the 'S' stands for solid wood, but I haven't been able to determine if that means the cedar top is solid or if the top + the B&S are all solid. Can't tell where it was built, nothing in the label says anything about it's origin. Anyone have any references to the history of Washburn guitars or can point me to a resource to do more digging?

Thanks.
Here's how to check: find a striking grain pattern on the back and see if it reflected on the inside. If it is, it's solid. My Wahsburn C84ces is Lam rosewood and solid cedar. With case it ran me $600 in 1993 (I probably overpaid!).

Oh, and I may be selling it tonight <fingers crossed>.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical