The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-28-2016, 04:31 PM

Question I Fancy Hex Pickups?

Looking at the Graphtech Ghost Hex pickups for fitting into a nylon string acoustic, has anyone been down this path. Looking for a fast responsive sound, i'm in the u.k. and its almost impossible to purchase the RMC or Baggs hex pickups but the graphtech pickups seem to be available.
Any thoughts appreciated....
Thanks
Rob(uk)
Old 03-28-2016, 06:34 PM

RK - I've never tried the Graphtech, but do have experience with both RMC and Roland GK. I would have expected that the RMC would have had superior tracking (on an acoustic with bronze strings), but was surprised to find that even the older GK-2 tracked just as well, if not better. Of course, that isn't an option on your nylon string guitar.

My supposition has been that the RMC's sensitivity is highly dependent on the degree of pressure put on the piezo elements, perhaps influenced by the string break angle behind the saddle. I'd wanted to move the RMC (standard acoustic gold) pickups to another guitar, but could not find one that would accommodate it's very low profile...a significant flaw, actually, as even their higher profile model would not be suited to most other standard guitar setups. The RMC are designed to have a very small exposure above the bridge.

From what I've read on the interweb, the Graphtech's appear to be a suitable substitute. I'd definitely consider them, but I'd also definitely evaluate the geometry issue and the degree to which this may influence their sensitivity. As implied above, if they don't track accurately, they're just more trouble than they're worth.

'98 Martin HD-28VR, '98 Bourgeois Martin Simpson European, '98 Collings CJmha
Old 03-29-2016, 10:43 AM

I've used all three brands and the Graph Tech Hex seemed to be just as effective as the others. They have a thick, string-oriented sound, as you might expect. The advantages of the Hex pickups are better string volume balance, better string separation and better feedback rejection than most other pickup types.

I currently have the old Baggs Hex system (no longer available from Baggs) in my classical. I blend it with the signal from a MiniFlex2Mic which is also installed in the guitar. The two pickups complement each other very well.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:18 AM

I have two hex-pickup systems -- one is a L.R. Baggs and the other is whatever Godin put in their ACS -- both guitars are nylon stringed, and both systems work fairly well.

My personal experience, however, is that for adding a pickup to a nylon-string guitar, nothing I have used has sounded as good as the "Barbera Transducer." They are pricey. I currently have one in my Yairi. I use an external pre-amp (near my feet, like a stomp box) as to not put a lot of holes in the guitar. To my ears, the Barbera is the best I have encountered.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
I have two hex-pickup systems -- one is a L.R. Baggs and the other is whatever Godin put in their ACS -- both guitars are nylon stringed, and both systems work fairly well.

My personal experience, however, is that for adding a pickup to a nylon-string guitar, nothing I have used has sounded as good as the "Barbera Transducer." They are pricey. I currently have one in my Yairi. I use an external pre-amp (near my feet, like a stomp box) as to not put a lot of holes in the guitar. To my ears, the Barbera is the best I have encountered.
The Barbera does indeed sound good to me also, judging from the various demos which I've heard. I'm concerned, however, with the claim that some of the piezo crystals are wired to be out of phase with other crystals (to reduce feedback susceptibility). James May (ToneDexter's co-creator) has claimed that the Barbera Soloist doesn't work well with ToneDexter because of being wired for phase cancellation.

If its true that the Soloist is wired for phase cancellation, then I suspect its not the best pickup for blending with a mic or another pickup.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:24 PM

Thumbs up

Just looking at the Shadow nanoflex hex pickups, such a shame you have to cut a hole in your guitar for the preamp. Anyone tried these, not sure how much use the pan/spread effect is, do they sound anything like the rmc hex, good string separation?
Thanks
Rob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification