The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-15-2016, 01:57 PM

Default Boss - EQ 20

Thinking about getting one for using with KK pure in one guitar and in the effect loop on a fishman aura spectrum for another guitar......
(and for use with some eletric guitars too)

Any hiss/white noise problem with ge7 are in the eq 20 ?!

Very thanks.
Kenny Hill Player 640 (2017)(Rosewood/Spruce)
Yamaha NCX 700 (2010) (Mahogany/Sitka)
Guitalele Gretsch G9126 (2013) (Mahogany/Mahogany)

Genz Benz 150LT
Ultrasound/Dean Markley AG15

My Youtube Channel
Old 03-15-2016, 03:07 PM

I'll start by saying I don't have a Boss EQ 20 ... but I've owned a couple of GE7s, a GE10 and a bunch of other EQs to compare ... so I'll answer anyway

Unfortunately, of all the EQs I've owned, the Boss is one of the noisiest once you start moving the sliders ... and I don't like much how the bands interact with each other. For some, this noise or band interaction is acceptable and some even don't hear it ... but it's there. Modding gets rid of a lot of noise but the band interaction was too much for me. It's one of the few EQs I got rid of.

I have a GE10 ... the old vintage EQ ... and it has none of the issues on the GE7. It is one of the best sounding graphic EQs out there. The noise level is very low, the bands are super musical and don't interact much ... or not in any adverse way that I've found.

The point of responding to your thread is that this (to me at least) means not all Boss EQs are equal and so shouldn't be judged on the GE7's mediocre abilities.

Personally, I've moved on to use more parametric style EQ in my chain. My fav is the Carl Martin ... closely followed be the AER Para EQ. The Empress is also a nice one I hear.

You haven't mentioned what you are using it for ... mid scoop / boost, remove annoying freq, etc. ... maybe there are other EQ type pedals that do what you want.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:43 PM

First use will for impedance matching w/ tone shaping for a kk equipped guitar
Second use will be for tone shaping in the fx loop of an aura spectrum pedal
Ans third use should be with eletrics as a clean/eq boost

I know that there is a Monte Allum mod for Ge7. That made this pedal very transparent and noise free...

But here in Brazil ge7+Monte allums mod it's the same price as the eq20 by boss.

And here is a question.

Do the Boss Eq20 have the same noise/hiss problems of his little brother ge7?!
Kenny Hill Player 640 (2017)(Rosewood/Spruce)
Yamaha NCX 700 (2010) (Mahogany/Sitka)
Guitalele Gretsch G9126 (2013) (Mahogany/Mahogany)

Genz Benz 150LT
Ultrasound/Dean Markley AG15

My Youtube Channel
Old 03-19-2016, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

I use an eq20 and i dont notice any hiss. It also has an impedence switch so you can choose between setting for running guitar input to amp or within effects loop of the amp. I run the latter with a fishman loudbox artist and it works fine.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:35 AM

Used to have one of these, and they're very handy pedals. The EQ20 is a digital EQ, and is much quieter than the GE7 is. No appreciable hiss or noise unless you turn it up to crazy levels. I vaguely remember there being a line/instrument input level switch to help bring down the noise floor if you're using a source with a low output level.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification