The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-27-2013, 03:55 PM

Default String height nylon vs steel?

I just bought a Yamaha NXT700 from my local Guitar Center. I compared several guitars and really liked the more narrow nut and radius fretboard. Just felt very comfortable in the hand and sounds wonderful and full. As I was playing it this morning I noticed the action seems rather high. I didn't pay close attention in all the commotion of yesterday at GC.
When I compare it to my Martin steel string, which I have had professionally set up, the steel string measures 2mm from top of 12th fret to bottom of 6th string. The new Yamaha measures 4mm. Question: Is this a typical setting for a nylon string guitar? I know it depends on playing style - I'm not real heavy handed. I guess I'm just asking if nylon is usually set much higher than steel?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:07 PM

don't worry ..thats what is supposed to be
Old 01-27-2013, 04:10 PM

That is typical for a nylon string. I like those Yamahas,too, though I prefer the NCX.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:36 PM

Do nylons have more tendency to buzz? More flexible string?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:32 AM

Typically the action on a nylon will be higher than a steel string and can be more buzzy at lower actions as the string probably vibrates more due to the material it's made from and the lower tension.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

String excursion on a nylon is nearly twice that of a steel string. With tight specs, and correct relief, you might be able to get it down to 3.5 mm bass and 2.5 mm treble, but it takes some fiddling to get it there, and the guitar has to have the right geometry for that to work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical