The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2018, 07:37 PM

Smile Playability and Price

I'm a complete newbie to guitars and this forum. I'm 64 and have always wanted to play the guitar so I'm learning. Reading these forums, seems there's a lot to learn about listening to a guitar as well as playing it, which brings me to my question: I assume a $2000 - $5000 guitar *sounds* that much better than a $300 guitar. But is it that much more *playable*. In other words, would a $2000 Martin be that much more playable (easy to play, whatever) than my $300 Yamaha?

I know some of this is subjective but I'm honestly wondering if I should go ahead and invest in a nicer guitar as I learn or keep that as a reward for later.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:45 PM

Hi Boto, Welcome to the AGF. Great question. Many $300 guitars can be setup to play the same as a $3000 guitar based on what you find is comfortable.

As far as tone goes, the best thing to do is go to some guitar stores and try out a bunch of different guitars at different price ranges and see what appeals to you.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:46 PM

Find a guitar that you enjoy the sound of and that is within your budget. Then invest in a good setup. I have a 20 year old Martin D17 and a set up made it fun and easy to play and my $250 Takamine was easier to play prior to the set up.

You might also check out a Taylor Academy Series as they get great reviews and i can attest that my Tayor plays like a dream. The money spent on a good set up will not be wasted.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:58 PM
Guest 1511

I can't make a blanket statement that a 3k guitar will play better than a $300 guitar, but I think most of the time that is true. You will get a guitar with higher quality frets, better fretboard work, better nut and saddle, etc. Generally speaking, everything ramps up with price in my experience. Go out and play the range and trust your own instincts though, since you're the one who has to pony up the cash <grin>.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

I have guitars that range from $99 to $2,400 and they all play about the same because I had set them up to play easily. I'm sure a few could be a touch easier with a pro set-up though.

The additional cost is for the tone, the build quality, quality of woods used and the attention to detail.

It isn't a case of the "Emperor's Clothes."

I have found that generally guitars that cost more, sound better.

There are guitars that "play over their head" tonewise and there are expensive duds as well.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botofogo View Post
I assume a $2000 - $5000 guitar *sounds* that much better than a $300 guitar. But is it that much more *playable*. In other words, would a $2000 Martin be that much more playable (easy to play, whatever) than my $300 Yamaha?
Welcome, and don't worry. FWIW, I don't find Martins all that more playable than other guitars. And on the flip side, I don't find my "expensive" Lowden as playable as cheaper guitars, and in both cases, it's simply that the end result of scale, neck profile, etc. aren't as good a fit for me in particular.

So cost isn't a factor in pure playability. But here's the kicker. Some guitars produce beautiful notes more easily than others, which makes them more playable in a different sense, and that can cost a little more.

As already said, check out a lot of guitars, and if you have a chance to play some high-end guitars, see if you notice a difference in how easily the notes come out.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm a complete newbie to guitars and this forum. I'm 64 and have always wanted to play the guitar so I'm learning. Reading these forums, seems there's a lot to learn about listening to a guitar as well as playing it, which brings me to my question: I assume a $2000 - $5000 guitar *sounds* that much better than a $300 guitar. But is it that much more *playable*. In other words, would a $2000 Martin be that much more playable (easy to play, whatever) than my $300 Yamaha?

I know some of this is subjective but I'm honestly wondering if I should go ahead and invest in a nicer guitar as I learn or keep that as a reward for later.
Ergonomics rule. Sonics and behavior are certainly important, but are a close second, particularly for beginner players.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:23 PM

Everyone is correct in their advise. But as a new player you need to not only try lots of guitars I would look to take your adventure like most of us have. Slowly. As you can see on some of the posters profiles they have a range of guitars from modest ones to collectibles. Taylor, Yamaha, Epiphone or Seagull are just a few brands that are very good quality, reliable , and affordable. Once you become more passionate, if that's the correct term, you can look at the higher end of any other those, or others like Martin.
For me, it is the sound of the guitar that is the primary point. I just bought a $300 guitar that sounded and played better than a $900 one. But that is just me. You will read that people say that a guitar spoke to them the minute they strummed it. This is also true for me. I've have to like it enough to pick it up, and want to play it everyday.
Good luck on your adventure and remember, these are just my opinions and thoughts.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:28 PM

A set up from a skilled luthier can make a decent $300 guitar play beautifully. It is a little more painful to spend an extra $100 on a $300 guitar though t least in proportional terms. IMO budget guitars are much better than they used to be, both in terms of playability and sound. I think a good way to go is a guitar with a solid spruce top and laminated back and sides.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Rat View Post
I can't make a blanket statement that a 3k guitar will play better than a $300 guitar, but I think most of the time that is true. You will get a guitar with higher quality frets, better fretboard work, better nut and saddle, etc.....
Yeah, the smoothness and alignment of the frets do make a difference in the playability, and you get that higher quality on a more expensive guitar. Of course, you can polish the frets yourself. But any guitar still needs to be set up well, adjusting for the right string height, intonation, etc.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 02-16-2018, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Good advice from everyone. My $200 Yamaha plays and sounds like a dream; but so does my $2000 Taylor and my $1600 Martin. You do not necessarily need an expensive guitar for playability, it really comes down to finding a guitar or guitars that feel and sound good to you. Good luck in your search!
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 02-16-2018, 09:00 PM

Welcome to the Acoustic Guitar Forum! Lots of friendly folk here.

There is a lot to learn about guitars and you will discover that the price of a guitar may or may not have much bearing on the playability or sound. There are many factors involved including many that have already been mentioned in the previous posts. If you are looking for your first guitar, I recommend that you go to a reputable guitar store and listen to the employees who will make recommendations for a guitar that would be best to get you started.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:11 PM

Default price, what you get

Generally as you climb the price ladder you get prettier, most custom, better sounding and somewhat better playing guitars. But mind: there are SO many exceptions.

Also keep in mind that, as with most other goods, as you go up that ladder diminishing returns starts to take its bite and the higher you go, the more diminished the returns are. Think a tangent curve, not a sine curve.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:24 PM

Default Welcome, good to see another old timer

I started at 68, two months into my self taught training, I had major surgery done on my thumb on the fretting hand, was in a cast for two months, during this time I went to every place around New Orleans and when I found something that sounded good, I'd ask someone to play it for me and I'd listen, I finally settled on a Taylor GS Mini, it sounded just perfect to me. It was $400.00, a large investment for an old man and a bucket list item highly desired. I played it for about a year and then heard an Eastman OM20, and even with my fingers on it, it sounded wonderful, cost me $900.00, and it was worth every nickle, everyone who hears it says it's definitely equal to the Martin OM21, which I've never personally played. Unfortunately, I had plastic knuckles put in the index and middle fingers of my fretting hand last January, and guitar playing is still on the shelf. Plastic knuckles don't go side to side, like a real knuckle, they only act as a hinge. Really hard to make open C or G chords, and don't even think of the barre chords you've worked so hard on to perfect. But this OM makes me keep trying, my hand doctor says I'll never do it, but what the hell does she know about what drives us old guys! Good luck, music will mean more to you now than it ever has before.
Hagstrom Swede
Fender Amer Strat-Honeyburst
Epiphone Pro ES 339
Old 02-16-2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:

If I'm reading this correctly you are a new player, have your Yamaha, and are wondering if spending some big coin will get you an easier playing guitar. Short answer is No. If your guitar doesn't feel very playable, invest $75 in a professional setup of your Yamaha. Play for a while, learn what you learn, and then go shopping. My $.02. Have fun!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion