The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2018, 09:45 AM

Default MFR's string gauge recommendations

I tried searching the forum on this but really didn't come up with anything useful so I'm asking directly for your opinions/experiences.

I've seen that manufacturers oftentimes list the gauge of strings their guitars come with, and are presumably recommended, but I'm wondering why they choose one gauge over another. Is it how THEY want the guitar to sound, or is it based on the stresses of a specific string gauge affecting the instrument, or is it something else?

I've been known to go to a heavier gauge string because I like the tone but I got to wondering if I may be doing some damage to the instrument.

A bit silly I know, but I'm curious.

Thanks,
PJ
Old 02-16-2018, 10:03 AM

Any modern guitar should be able to handle medium gauge strings (56-13, ~185 pounds total tension). Taylor says this is OK for all of theirs except maybe the Grand Concert. The larger bodies actually come with mediums. Light gauge strings (54-12, ~165 pounds total tension) usually come on smaller bodied guitars like parlor, 00, and 000.

I've used mediums on my Taylor GA's for years without any ill effect. Martin generally uses the same recommendations -- heavier gauges to better drive larger tops. If you have a vintage guitar, light gauge is probably as tight as you should go, with silk-n-steel used for fragile older instruments.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:07 AM

They ship guitars with whatever they think is most likely to be used with that model. They usually state suggested sets as "up to" a specific gauge to encompass all the possible mixed gauge sets people use.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:47 AM

This has been posted before just so you can listen.
The Mediums do drive the top on this guitar and it's especially noticeable on the bluegrass picking stuff.
I happen to like the ultra lights for the sustain, but then it doesn't do justice to the guitar the way it's supposed to sound.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-16-2018, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

I go along with the Collings method.

They state D'addario medium gauge (13-56) on dreads and jumbos, but I swap out the b & e strings for light gauge - 12 & 16).

Light gauge EJ16 (12-53) on all smaller guitars.

Most folk on the Collings forum rave about John Pearse of same gauges.

I use D'addarios because I can get them in 10 and 3 packs.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:21 PM

Thank you everyone!

I think I'm starting this with an initial misconception:

I listened to Mr. Rockdog's video and was very surprised to find the Medium gauge didn't have more warmth or low end in them when compared to the lighter gauges. Now, I'm listening through my laptop speakers (MacBook Air) and while I could hear differences between the strings I didn't hear the expected increase but maybe I need to break out my headphones to really tell?

I know the woods of a guitar are primarily responsible for the tone but if I want to get the maximum amount of warmth and low end a guitar is capable of, what type of strings would you suggest?

Thank you,
PJ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion