The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2018, 08:09 AM

5 star dealers do get preferable stock like limited editions and special runs. This was according to the salesman at the 5 star where I bought mine. As far as the standard models go It would make sense that they also get the good ones and the crappy ones go to GC and the like. But you really have to go out and play it for yourself. I've found really good Gibsons here in Switzerland where we dont have any 5 star dealers so I am sure you will find some good ones in the U.K. as well.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:31 AM

Perhaps the OP is set on buying from GC because they offer financing.

As others have said a J45 rosewood is not a standard model most stores would stock so I really don't understand being so upset with a company for not having one readily available. Personally I've never even seen a J45 rosewood in the flesh, seems like a pretty rare bird.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValid View Post
5 star dealers do get preferable stock like limited editions and special runs. This was according to the salesman at the 5 star where I bought mine. As far as the standard models go It would make sense that they also get the good ones and the crappy ones go to GC and the like.
I agree the 5 Star dealers get the special and limited models.

But as far as your comment on standard models...
I don't believe that Gibson would decide to supply the "crappy" ones to GC...
Old 02-16-2018, 08:48 AM

IF you're near Petaluma, Tall Toad always has a good stock of J45s. They are a 5 star seller.

scott
Old 02-16-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
I agree the 5 Star dealers get the special and limited models.

But as far as your comment on standard models...
I don't believe that Gibson would decide to supply the "crappy" ones to GC...
Well maybe not "crappy", wrong word to use. How about "not the best we've ever made but passes the very low standard of QC we have here at Gibson so out the door it goes". Lol I honestly have no idea how they are sorted at Gibson. Ive played outstanding models in chain stores and not so outstanding models at five start dealers. And vice versa and with every other brand and everything in between. Snowflakes those guitars, no two alike.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:39 PM

rmz75's comments about Gibson's Five Star Dealers make unfortunate sense to me. I remember when that system was put in place, and there were lots of shops and buyers complaining about how it marginalized small shops unable to afford massive inventory, or who otherwise did not qualify. Then, I forgot about the whole thing. A few years ago, after looking at Les Pauls and Gibson acoustics at several GCs, I asked myself why that chain only got pretty crap versions of these instruments. I thought it was just a general decline in Gibson's standards, but after having encountered much nicer versions of these same guitars in other places, I've come to think -- though not to know for sure -- that Gibson may be sending its best product to select retailers, with the rest going to the others. I've gotten so tired of trying out mediocre new guitars at GC and other chains that I go to the used market automatically, or stop in a big indy shop when I can.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:53 PM

Tall Toad in Petaluma and Guitar Showcase in San Jose both carry a lot of Gibson.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

I've gotten the feeling that Gibson 5 star dealers get special and custom models more shoved down their throat than offered to them. Before I went the vintage route, I was playing a bunch of new Gibsons. I really liked the J 45 vintage. The five star dealer didn't have one and wouldn't be getting one any time soon. I said that Wildwood had five. He just shrugged and said all five star dealers were not equal.

But they sure had a bunch of custom specials, and several were rosewood J 45s. No actual J 45s either. Said they needed to sell some guitars from their inventory before they could order more. Must be great to be a five star dealer.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-16-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I've gotten the feeling that Gibson 5 star dealers get special and custom models more shoved down their throat than offered to them.
From talking with owners of higher end guitar shops, the answer is probably yes and no. Some say that, yes, it's too much of a financial commitment to be a Gibson dealer, while others, like Wildwood Guitars, embrace the idea of collaborating with Gibson on shop customs and apparently find it profitable.

I get the impression it's really a mixed bag, and I certainly don't pretend to understand the business side of things.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Wildwood Guitars has a bunch of J45s in stock. As of yesterday though they do no not have a rosewood Custom. Got me to wondering if that model is in production this year.
When I canceled the order with GC, they told me the J 45 in rosewood was out of production and no longer available.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denandannie View Post
When I canceled the order with GC, they told me the J 45 in rosewood was out of production and no longer available.
Yes, Five Star Dealers have access to "custom" models that are not available to non-Five Star dealers like Guitar Center. In addition to the custom models that Gibson designs and offers up, they also do made to order limited run models exclusive to the store.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 02-16-2018, 06:45 PM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fingers View Post
rmz75's comments about Gibson's Five Star Dealers make unfortunate sense to me.
I have it on good authority that this is exactly what happens. The 5-star dealers get the cream and the others get the rest. The two 5-star dealers I go to always have the besting sounding, best quality Gibsons. That said though, I got a superb Hummingbird from GC.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValid View Post
I bought my J-45 from a 5 star dealer in the L.A area. Even though its one of the good ones tone wise its also a glue train wreck. Glue coming out of the pick guard, glue coming out of the nut, the first braces by the sound hole, other visable braces. In other words, it looks like it was built by a hack in the cheapest of cheap chinese factories.

But it sounds amazing. It really does. Sometimes I wonder why I bought this glue monster at all. But when I play another J-45 at a shop in my area then I am reminded of the saying "buy the tone, not the finish"
I really looked into Gibson acoustics in my search and after spending months reading reviews, checking out guitar shops etc, I have found Taylors and Martins are way more consistent. QC at Gibson is terrible and the company is unfortunately on a downward spiral. It's sad to see an iconic brand fall but its coming soon. Hopefully some one with a good business sense can save the American Icon we all know as Gibson.
2017 MIM Telecaster SE

Spark Amp
Fishman Loudbox Mini.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:32 PM

nevermind,,,

Last edited by scriv58; 02-16-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridapicker View Post
I really looked into Gibson acoustics in my search and after spending months reading reviews, checking out guitar shops etc, I have found Taylors and Martins are way more consistent. QC at Gibson is terrible and the company is unfortunately on a downward spiral. It's sad to see an iconic brand fall but its coming soon. Hopefully some one with a good business sense can save the American Icon we all know as Gibson.
I love my cheapo Taylor (lol - is there such a thing as a cheapo Taylor?) but in my experience I have to disagree with your sentiments about Gibson Acoustic quality and QC. Every recent Gibson I've tried (probably 7 or 8 at my local GC, over a period of a year or so) is well built and sounds great. Also, my Dad had a Hummingbird Pro for several years that I think is the finest guitar I've played. I think Gibson Acoustic has had their share of issues through the years, but my experience tells me their recent work in Montana has been pretty good. Just my opinion . . .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion