The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 01-28-2018, 12:24 AM
Charter Member

Default The Tree *PLUS* Lucky Strike guitar themed boxes

My idea to sell hand turned pens from scraps of The Tree, to guitar fanatics was more popular than I even hoped.

Well, I am working to get more suitable pieces and make more. They came out great as collectibles or gifts for acoustic guitar fans.

In the meantime, I will be starting up a much longer process of

acoustic guitar themed boxes.

I've made two in the past out of The Tree. This time I am upping the game and using a Lucky Strike top.

The idea is for a very exclusive acoustic guitar box for accessories like picks, capos etc.

My "prototype" looked like that shown here:

The idea here is to make them with essentially guitar-like construction (except no bending), including binding, purfling, braces and kerfing. The top and sides are from true top and side thicknessed cutoffs.

One exception I make is to double the tops and sides to protect against humidity and make it heavier as a box not a guitar. The second layer for the body is mahogany. The top is redwood.

Also, I use general acoustic guitar proportions to elicit more of the feel of a guitar in it's appearance.

I started my layout calculations and it seems I will be able to make three very similar to my prototype (shown in the picture), a fourth smaller one, and a fifth half-sized one.

When I revealed my first two boxes I had a lot of people asking me to make one for them and suggesting I sell them (which was flattering).

So this is just a teaser. This project will run months, instead of weeks. Much of the aesthetic work is very similar to that on a guitar, especially the finishing.

Several folks have asked about pricing.

So, I am going to ask folks to sit down and not get sticker shock.

If you imagine a handmade ukulele, and the work that goes into it. Now you remove the neck but do everything else (instead of bending sides we're making an open-able box so comparable labor time).

Now think of a boutique luthier hand making that neckless ukulele.

Now think of them using wood from The Tree. Then think of them using wood from Lucky Strike.

Now think of them making it from BOTH!

I am going to make and keep one or two for myself (which honestly is the whole reason I do this, the "products" are just a side-effect of this hobby).

So there will probably only be three of these made.

Tectov and Hermes jewelry boxes of similar style/size go for $1000-$3000.

So I am thinking somewhere in the $500-$1000 range but will wait to see how much labor, time and cost go into them, plus how good they come out.

(just as a point of reference, remember this is The Tree *AND* Lucky Strike. The raw materials alone for one box cost me hundreds and that doesn't include all the other materials or time and labor and finishing etc.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140701_191939 (Medium).jpg (24.8 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 20140701_191648 (Medium).jpg (31.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 20140701_191557 (Medium).jpg (19.9 KB, 87 views)

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-29-2018, 02:44 PM

Beautiful work fazool.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace