The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-06-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Pippin,

Wow, that sounded really good! Excellent job! Lovely playing!! Thanks for sharing this recording!! Very well done!!

- Glenn
Thanks Glenn for the generous kind words!

I have lots of fun working with this Csus tuning (CGCGCD, may be considered as Gsus as well?) It's got three tonic C on the 2nd 4th and 6th strings; and two dominants on 3rd and 5th. That makes the I and V chords a breeze, and the II and VI minors are on second frets of the 2nd to 6th strings. The IV can be a bit stretchy at 5th fret of 4th and 6th strings but playing those also shifts the left hand to a higher position to crave out the subdominant chord melodies on the top strings...

I learnt this tuning from Martin Simpson (Plains of Waterloo, Lord Gregory, Ragland Road, Shallow Brown etc), and Tony McManus used it, too (Sleeping tune, Shallow Brown). The two arrangements I have made in this tuning so far are this "Right here waiting" and the Scottish folk song "When you and I were young, Maggie".

Raising the first string from D to E gives a slack key open C tuning (CGCGCE), and additional possibilities (e.g. Maui on my mind by Jeff Peterson)

Explore alternate tunings! Tons of fun!

In humility,
Pp
Old 02-07-2018, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Very nice stuff, Pippin!

I also enjoyed hearing your recording of Plains of Waterloo-- When You and I Were Young, Maggie, and also Maui On My Mind. All very pretty and well done.

I probably should explore alternate tunings more. It does seem that ever since I started my YouTube channel that I spend most of my music time these days working up new material, mostly stuff to sing with. I guess either of these paths are good for developing one's brain (or at least keeping the brain active)...

Thanks for your contributions here!

- Glenn
Old 02-07-2018, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

I like that song a lot, and play it too...but, not as well as you do! Very Nice Glenn...great job!

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 02-07-2018, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
I like that song a lot, and play it too...but, not as well as you do! Very Nice Glenn...great job!
Thanks for listening and commenting DR! How very nice to hear from you! I'm very pleased that you thought this came out okay!!

- Glenn
Old 02-10-2018, 08:52 AM

That's a beautiful sounding guitar, clean and crisp. Really like your cover! Thanks!

YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/cedwin
Old 02-10-2018, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedwin View Post
That's a beautiful sounding guitar, clean and crisp. Really like your cover! Thanks!
Hi Edwin,

Very nice of you to take the time to watch and comment! Thank you!

- Glenn
Old 02-10-2018, 03:29 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Very nice, Glenn! Wow - Richard Marx. You're brave! I'll have to try it with the capo on 2 like that.

JR
Old 02-10-2018, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Very nice, Glenn! Wow - Richard Marx. You're brave! I'll have to try it with the capo on 2 like that.

JR
Thanks JR. It's good to know that you are listening.

- Glenn
Old 02-10-2018, 05:40 PM

Hi Glenn. I see you originally posted this in December and I obviously missed it then. But I'm glad it got bumped up.

As usual very, very nicely done. You always have a wonderful recording sound.
I know amongst some that the next thing I'm going to say is heresy, but I'll say it anyway (I'm a tough guy with thick skin). Your Olson sounds wonderful and always does when I hear you play it. Despite the reputation, I've heard even some big name guitarists whose Olsons sounded clanky, tinny, brittle, thin....just not as great as I'd expect given the Olson reputation. But yours always sounds great. The guitar? The player? The recording technique? All three? I don't know, but nonetheless, good going!
Old 02-10-2018, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
Hi Glenn. I see you originally posted this in December and I obviously missed it then. But I'm glad it got bumped up.

As usual very, very nicely done. You always have a wonderful recording sound.
I know amongst some that the next thing I'm going to say is heresy, but I'll say it anyway (I'm a tough guy with thick skin). Your Olson sounds wonderful and always does when I hear you play it. Despite the reputation, I've heard even some big name guitarists whose Olsons sounded clanky, tinny, brittle, thin....just not as great as I'd expect given the Olson reputation. But yours always sounds great. The guitar? The player? The recording technique? All three? I don't know, but nonetheless, good going!
Hi Nailpicker,

Yes, it's odd that this particular thread has sort of come back around. I think it's because Pippin posted some instrumental recordings to add to the discussion, which was very nice of him.

Thank you for listening and for the kind words on my recording. Regarding the Olson sound, I had tried other guitars for this song, and ended up using the Olson because it has a fairly mellow sound with fairly thick trebles. Those thick trebles helped that melody jump out a little on the song as I recorded it.

My Olson does not, at least in my opinion, have a clanky, tinny, brittle, or thin sound. James Taylor tends to get more treble from his Olson's, but some of that sound is a result of his longer, artificial finger nails, I believe. I keep my fingernails fairly short so that they generate a little rounder sound on the strings. And my nails are natural nails rather than acrylic, so they may have a different sound. Also, on many of JT's recordings, I am pretty sure that the recording engineer is EQ'ing his guitar sound to remove some of the bass of the Olson sound to keep his guitar from interfering with the other instruments in his band.

I am hardly an expert on Olson SJ guitars, having played only two. But both of the Olsons that I have played had a fairly similar sound, though the other one that I played had BRW back and sides, so it had a little more treble compared to mine (with EIR back and sides). So the difference in what you hear at times may be the player. I doubt that I am doing anything magic with my recording technique compared to a pro-level studio.

Thanks again for listening!

- Glenn
Old 02-11-2018, 06:09 PM

Superb Glenn but I can't help getting a mental picture of you playing and singing this just before they wheel you in for that other hip replacement.

You have a knack for choosing the right guitar for all your songs .. and playing them beautifully every time.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-11-2018, 06:42 PM

Hard song to cover and you did a great job....Like everybody else your Olson got my attention....Very nice !!!!

I see you are in Washington State..... maybe you should try and cover the theme song to Jeremiah Johnson ....I think you would do a great job with it...voice and instrumental. ( and also teach me lol )
Mrbirdog
Old 02-11-2018, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Superb Glenn but I can't help getting a mental picture of you playing and singing this just before they wheel you in for that other hip replacement.

You have a knack for choosing the right guitar for all your songs .. and playing them beautifully every time.
Hi Bruce,

Well my aborted surgery for my right hip was Jan. 30, so when I posted this on Dec. 8, I had plenty of time before the next surgery. And now I have more time while I figure out what's going on elsewhere in my body. I have some tests coming up in the next week or so.

Thank you Bruce for your kind comments on the video. I am very fortunate to have some very nice guitars.

- Glenn
Old 02-11-2018, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbirdog View Post
Hard song to cover and you did a great job....Like everybody else your Olson got my attention....Very nice !!!!

I see you are in Washington State..... maybe you should try and cover the theme song to Jeremiah Johnson ....I think you would do a great job with it...voice and instrumental. ( and also teach me lol )
Mrbirdog
Hi Mrbirdog!

Thank you very much for listening and commenting. I agree, the Olson does sound nice -- thank you on behalf of Jim Olson!

I am going to have to look up the theme song to Jeremiah Johnson and see what that's like. I don't remember it. But I am always looking for new stuff to do, so I will check it out!

- Glenn
Old 02-12-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Mrbirdog!

Thank you very much for listening and commenting. I agree, the Olson does sound nice -- thank you on behalf of Jim Olson!

I am going to have to look up the theme song to Jeremiah Johnson and see what that's like. I don't remember it. But I am always looking for new stuff to do, so I will check it out!

- Glenn
Glenn
I think the gentleman that sang the original in the movie was named McIntyre your voice seems similar, I hope you try to tackle it would love to hear it
Mrbirdog

Last edited by Mrbirdog; 02-12-2018 at 11:50 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell