The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2018, 06:47 PM

Default Breedlove Serial Number - B Stock?

My wife bought me a Breedlove Discovery Concert SB as a gift. I noticed that the there is a red letter "B" stamped at the end of the serial number.

My guess is that it is a B stock guitar, but they were selling it as A stock.

Just wondering if anyone knows if this is what that red "B" means.

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:16 AM

I bet someone at Breedlove could tell ya.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:39 AM

My thought as well. Call Anne in the business office. I bet she'll know.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

If you just do a google search, the answer is there.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 02-17-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
If you just do a google search, the answer is there. Mark
That's interesting. As a Breedlove player, I'm not familiar with his answer and don't find it on line. The only Breedlove information I find on line regarding serial numbers is completely wrong. So, where do you find the "B" question answer? I would like to check out the site for my edification. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I sent an email to Breedlove a few days ago. I just got this reply, from Anne:

Welcome to the Breedlove Family!

Thanks so much for reaching out. No worries. From time to time we do get models with a slight cosmetic blemish(our crew is very picky J). These are marked as b-stock and have no structural issue and are perfectly good guitars.

You have a full warranty outside of the cosmetic blemish as long as it was purchased from an authorized dealer.

We have gone to all digital downloadable information.

You can download the warranty here.. https://breedlovemusic.com/support/warranty-information

Register your warranty here… https://breedlovemusic.com/support/w...y-registration

And owners manual here… https://breedlovemusic.com/support/care-maintenance

Happy to help any way we can and hope you are enjoying your guitar!

Thanks,

Anne

Although she didn't outright mention that the red B means B stock, I can assume that it is B stock. I also asked for warranty information because no paperwork came with the guitar.

There is another issue with the guitar: the high E string is sour and flat above the 10th fret, so I am bringing it back to the store today to see what can be done. I am going to ask for a replacement A stock, but honestly, the guitar was priced as if it were B stock, but they should advertise it as B, since they also sell other Breedlove B stock models.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
That's interesting. As a Breedlove player, I'm not familiar with his answer and don't find it on line. The only Breedlove information I find on line regarding serial numbers is completely wrong. So, where do you find the "B" question answer? I would like to check out the site for my edification. Thanks.
That was also my experience when I searched. There is very little Breedlove serial number information.

I guess this thread will serve as valuable information in the future!
Old 02-17-2018, 03:50 PM

I took it over to the shop. The guy kind of skirted the B stock issue, not confirming that the B stamp means B stock because they have other B stocks that have no markings at all. So, it is still a mystery.

He told me that the guitar needed a neck adjustment and some frets needed filing. I felt uncomfortable with all those repairs being needed on a brand new guitar, so asked if I could swap it for another. They had no more in the store, so we went and looked at some other models.

I found another in the Breedlove Concert series that I liked, so we struck a deal to pay $95 more for the guitar. It plays much better, and adds electric to boot.

I played it for awhile, and he played it for awhile, and it sounded just fine. This one is advertised as a B stock, and there are no abnormalities that I can see, and it doesn't have the red "B" marked on it.
https://manchestermusicmill.com/b-st...ectric-guitar/
Old 02-17-2018, 03:59 PM

At this juncture I believe it is appropriate to mention that - if there are no photos of this new guitar, it never happened.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Bullfrog Music, here in Corvallis, is a huge Breedlove dealer; one of their "Dealers of Distinction" or some-such. Kurt Dietrich, the owner, has a good store with a lot of great acoustic guitars; it's a comfortable "hang" for me, so I've spent a lot of time there. Over the past 6 years, I've gotten to know Breedlove guitars pretty well.

I remember Kurt getting in a "Stage" model for $400 less than usual... he said there was a slight finish flaw and that was the reason for the price reduction. Then he and I spent a good 45' trying to find that "blemish"... and we both KNOW acoustic guitars, but could not find the flaw...

That's one of the things I love about Breedlove; the guitars they "mark down" due to a finish issue are guitars that brand new Gibsons (frequently) wish they were!

Seriously, if you can't even find a flaw, IS THERE ONE?

Have fun with that new guitar... play the dickens out of it! Oh, and post a picture of the "flaw" when you find it!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-18-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
At this juncture I believe it is appropriate to mention that - if there are no photos of this new guitar, it never happened.
This is true. I have 4 or 5 guitars that i haven't posted pictures of, because I'm technically inept. However, I use this to my advantage when explaining to the wife an additional purchase. I just tell her the others never happened.

Congrats, I love Breedloves. If my purchase had happened I would post a picture.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
That's one of the things I love about Breedlove; the guitars they "mark down" due to a finish issue are guitars that brand new Gibsons (frequently) wish they were!

I bought a OM/SRHe that was a blem ... at 30% off regular street price (not MSRP or MAP). The dealer (MacNichol in SLC) was great, showed pics of the blemish, video/audio demo. When I got the guitar I could not find the blemish, it was smaller than the sharp end of pin! It's one of my favorite instruments, ironcally the ONLY guitar I ever bought without having played it.

Breedlove covers warranty issues, except for the blemish, of course. When my preamp died an early death (LR Baggs) I got great service through the dealer, who contacted Breedlove, who contacted LR Baggs. A new pickup/preamp was in the mail by the end of the week. I did the removal/replacement myself.

My serial number does NOT end with a "B", though.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
LOL, I love that! I'll take a picture and post it soon.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:04 PM

Here's a pic:

Last edited by PRA4SNW; 02-18-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:16 PM

And I think I found the blemish. You can see it just above the upper left corner of the controls. The picture makes it more noticable than it is. It was easy to find because of its location, but I didn't see it until I started looking for it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion