The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-23-2014, 12:35 PM

Default AER Amp stand?

Hello all
I am loving my AER Compact 60/3 but have a quick question. I am using a regular mic stand with the adapter and it is seriously wobbly. The adapter is tight on both the AER and the stand. I looked at Hercules stands which are far superior and I use a Herc tilt stand for my mic. The problem is that I don't want the AER tilting over.

Anyone adapted a speaker stand for their AER or have any other solutions other than - "sit it on a stool"?
It definitely has to be up on a stand IMHO.
Thanks all,
davidc
Old 04-23-2014, 01:02 PM

Have you looked at the On-Stage amp stands? I have this one, the specs say the spread for the amp supports is 11", so would work for that little amp.
I can verify that dimension for you, if you're interested.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-23-2014, 01:40 PM
Eric Skye

Need to use an old school straight stand -no boom. Never a problem with wobble.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:43 PM

Default Speaker stand bracket

Hello, David,
I end up playing in tight spaces, often on patios with uneven pavers underneath, so I purchased the On-Stage speaker stand adapter bracket. I had Home Depot cut me a board to fit under the AER, painted it black and screwed in the adapter, and stuck it on top of a folding speaker stand I already had. At its lowest setting it is perfect for me, as I can still see the knobs on top.
I must admit it looks a bit overbuilt with that small amp on top, but peace of mind, you know!
Old 04-24-2014, 07:56 AM

Thanks all,
Mike- I have one of those but wanted to get the amp up higher.

Eric- I tried a regular stand - no boom and mine just wobbles despite the fact that the adapter is tight to the amp and to the stand itself.

i think i will see if I can modify one of my regular speaker stands to accept the smaller end of the mic stand. The speaker stands are much more stable.

It sounds good at sitting level but even better with some height.
davidc
Old 04-24-2014, 09:19 AM

The speaker pole mounts that come on Schertler amps work really well. At least one poster around here added one to his Schertler Jam. I expect room may be an issue on a Compact 60 and it does require cutting a hole in your amp but, if it can be done, it is hard to beat the convenience and relative stability that comes from this approach.

I gig Schertlers all the time and would not consider using them without a stand. It makes a big difference.

hunter
Old 04-24-2014, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

dcopper - Have you checked out the little "lifts' that AER sells? They are pretty cool, canting the unit slightly (I think there are ways to vary the angle of the thing?)? I played with a friend a few months ago, and he had one... worked really well for sitting around with 3 guys, playing and singing...

The one gig I've done with my Compact 60/2, I was playing on a very shallow, wide stage; on one side of the stage were some cases propped up against a wall. I just put the AER up on them! The amp is so lightweight that it really doesn't take much support to have it be stable. I angled the amp so I could get some of the sound, but the balance of the output was cutting across the stage and filling the room.

That gig was the first time that I realized how non-directional and FULL that the amp sounds, when turned up to performance levels (as opposed to sitting in my front room). The effect is sonically very similar to the way my Bose L1 Classic reacts, at volume, in a room...

Another thing to consider is the bass response... I'm pretty sure that the closer to the ground the amp is, the more bass it's going to put out... and putting it in a corner will even accentuate that characteristic. I believe that "our own" Eric Skye has played rooms with his amp UNDER his seat, using a condenser mic on is guitar!

Lots of different ways to go; I, for one, LOVE the way the amp sounds, and would not consider "cutting a hole in the bottom" for a stand!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 04-24-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Lots of different ways to go; I, for one, LOVE the way the amp sounds, and would not consider "cutting a hole in the bottom" for a stand!

I am with you an cutting the hole.

In the end though it sort of depends on how you need to use it. My first decent acoustic amp, a Roland AC90, had the pole mount and it really worked for me. Fortunately Schertler puts one on most of their amps. The guy I sold it to always gigs it on the pole. My experience with the Fishman Loudbox was I needed to get it up in the air and there wasn't a reasonable portable, stable stand solution with a sufficient range of adjustment.

Maybe the person who modded their Schertler will step us and describe what he did. Didn't sound that hard but I'd really have to think about it.

And I'd really have to think about buying an amp that didn't have a good solution to the problem built in.

hunter
Old 04-24-2014, 07:31 PM

Instead of cutting a hole you can use the speaker mounting bracket that screws to the amp. I used those once with a small set of PA cabs that did not have speaker mounts.
I am going to see what I can rig up and will let you know.
Thanks all.
I would not cut any holes in my AER and the more i play it the more I love the amp too!
davidc
Old 04-25-2014, 11:30 AM

I always carry a small 'tilt-stand' I made out of an XY stereo mic adapter. Just bent it a little and when needed it screws on the bottom of my AER. (See pics)

Otherwise I use a proper mic stand. There are some very stable ones out there but you have to hunt around. Usually find them second hand ... older and heavier built. Just look for heavy and wide spreading feet. The one I use is rock steady. I prefer it to a speaker stand because no mods to AER needed and it's smaller/lighter so fits in my small bag.

The XY stereo mic adapter bent into shape ...

Attached to the bottom of the amp ...

And this is what it does ...

Simple cheap and effective.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:07 AM

That is pretty cool. I wanted to get the amp up in the air. I had some parts from a speaker stand and was able to use them to place the boom end of a mic stand into the top of a speaker stand with the cap cut our to accommodate the thinner boom piece. Then I simply threaded the AER onto one the end of the boom piece that sticks out of the top of the speaker stand. Much more stable than a mic stand and works excellent.

Don't know if I can load a pic but if i can I will.
davidc
Old 04-27-2014, 06:35 AM

I also prefer the AER up in the air and most mic stands are too wobbly ... but I like my kit to be as light as possible so that it all fits into one small rucksack ... I just found the speaker stands a wee bit too bulky so I went out to look for the most stable mic stand I could find. In the end I found one that is very stable.

It only works for small heights of less than a meter though. Any higher and I'd want to go your route and use a speaker stand.

Surprisingly the small tilt stand works great on many stage situations ... but not so good in a small cramped area.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification