The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-08-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Neither, the best acoustic amps I've heard are the Schertlers which really hands down beat both the AER and Fishman when it comes to the vocals.
I've tried every AER made and my Schertler Jam 400 slays them. The low end on the Jam 400 is unbelievable. If you don't need a crazy amount of power
the Jam 150 is also great. By the way I own a Fishman Loudbox Performer and use it for small gigs when my Schertler is setup somewhere else (many times I do 2 or 3 gigs in one day) and it reasonably good sounding but it is not in the same league as the Schertler stuff.

Check out this video demo of the Jam 150 and you will get a good idea of how good they really are. Make sure to listen on something other a laptop speaker!!!

http://youtu.be/iA3QOJYQCm4
I would agree. The AER's are wonderful tools, but the Schertler Unico is more PA-like.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
But isn't it a great day to want/need an acoustic amp?
Certainly is

Many people think of amp buying like paying tax (a necessary evil) ... I've got 2 good ones I like but still have an eye open for something different ... like the lunchbox

Jan.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:29 PM

pmarino,

I was making this decision about two months ago and bought the AER Compact 60/3. It was literally twice the price. There is a reason though - it is an extraordinary amp but really a bit hard to appreciate in a guitar room or a basement. It needs space to disperse the sound. If small coffee house settings are your gig, either amp would do fine. I found the Loudbox Artist to be a very sweet amp for the price - and as someone else said - chock full of additional features.

My main reason for choosing the AER was more because I felt I might regret not going for the AER. I won't say better amp - that is too subjective. I can tell you though that trying it out in a small room will not do it justice. I found that out. It is incredibly powerful and just needs room to breathe. Otherwise it can sound kind of boxy and midrangey.

I also have a Roland AC90 that IMHO, really is an excellent working amp that does well in many situations and probably is not as needy of space as the AER.

That all being said, I played for about an hour the other night in my music room at a low volume and the AER picked up the dynamics in guitar and voice incredibly well. It really was more of "your guitar just louder".

i don't regret the AER purchase but doing it over again, I might look a bit harder at the Fishman LB Artist. One of the reasons I did not go that route was that i already had the AC90. Also my Fishman SoloAmp died on me so that was a bit discouraging as well. I wanted something that was considered more "high end" and had better fidelity than my AC90. I think the AER fit the bill. I should be using it out soon, but have not done so yet.

Don't know it this helps but it is my dos centavos.
davidc
Old 04-08-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
pmarino,

I was making this decision about two months ago and bought the AER Compact 60/3. It was literally twice the price. There is a reason though - it is an extraordinary amp but really a bit hard to appreciate in a guitar room or a basement. It needs space to disperse the sound. If small coffee house settings are your gig, either amp would do fine. I found the Loudbox Artist to be a very sweet amp for the price - and as someone else said - chock full of additional features.

My main reason for choosing the AER was more because I felt I might regret not going for the AER. I won't say better amp - that is too subjective. I can tell you though that trying it out in a small room will not do it justice. I found that out. It is incredibly powerful and just needs room to breathe. Otherwise it can sound kind of boxy and midrangey.

I also have a Roland AC90 that IMHO, really is an excellent working amp that does well in many situations and probably is not as needy of space as the AER.

That all being said, I played for about an hour the other night in my music room at a low volume and the AER picked up the dynamics in guitar and voice incredibly well. It really was more of "your guitar just louder".

i don't regret the AER purchase but doing it over again, I might look a bit harder at the Fishman LB Artist. One of the reasons I did not go that route was that i already had the AC90. Also my Fishman SoloAmp died on me so that was a bit discouraging as well. I wanted something that was considered more "high end" and had better fidelity than my AC90. I think the AER fit the bill. I should be using it out soon, but have not done so yet.

Don't know it this helps but it is my dos centavos.
davidc
Thanks for the response, davidc. Much appreciated.
http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 04-10-2014, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakedi View Post
I think it is quite hard to determine which amp is "the best" ... a lot of it is in the ear of the listener and their requirements. Then there is the small question of which criteria you use to determine "best".

Certainly my AER is not my best sounding amp ... my Radiator 2 sounds much better IMO ... it just weighs 3 times as much. And I find myself grabbing the AER most of the time when I go out. If I had to think why ... I'd say it is an outstanding performer in a very small portable package. Maybe not the best performer but one of the best ... and possibly the smallest (ok ... there are smaller amps ... but are you really gigging them?!)
The Schertler Jam150 is almost as small as the AER, but it's no contest, it has more channels, cost $100 less and sounds WAY better. And that's especially true if you want to sing through it. And yes, I'd gig it in a heartbeat. I only bought the Jam400 because I use foot percussion (homemade porchboard), and I wanted the extra power for the lowend it requires. I tried EVERY amp brand made when I was out looking for a self-contained unit and I was astonished at just how good the Jam series amps are. They are truly like mini PA's! The AER's sound like little boxes next to the Jams! And you should see the abuse I throw at the Jam400!!!
Old 04-10-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
The Schertler Jam150 is almost as small as the AER, but it's no contest, it has more channels, cost $100 less and sounds WAY better.
AER Compact 60/3: 750€
Weight: 6,5kg,
Dimensions: 23x26x33cm
Sound:

Schertler Jam 150: 700€
Weight: 13 kg
Dimensions: 27x40x36cm
Sound:

I don't think the price difference is significant (the sheer amount of AERs out there means there are great prices) but I certainly think the weight/size difference is worth considering.

I always worry about saying something is the best because i wouldn't want anyone to run out there and make a purchase purely on my opinion ... no matter how much I love my equipment.

I think we should try to steer away from absolutes .. they are both great amps, not one better than the other .. just different .. and which one is better will depend on the buyer, their equipment and their needs.

I'd say put both amps (and a few more mentioned here) on the shortlist and it is important to get to hear them (in the setting you will be using them) and make your own mind up.

Jan.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:56 PM

I currently own a Bose L1 Model 2 and a Schertler Unico. I have owned in the past a Fishman Loudbox performer and a couple of others that I can't remember right now. The Schertler blows everything out of the water for me due to it's compact size, transparency, ease of use, nice spring reverb, warm tone and clarity. My sound guy at church has love it since I started bringing it to church. He thinks the line out is providing the best sound I have had to date and I have tried a lot of gear for him in the past few years.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 04-10-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarino View Post
Hi all,

I'm considering an acoustic amp for those occasions when I need to provide my own amplification and/or would like an on-stage monitor of my own. A player friend recommended the AER 60/3 amp, and from what I've seen online the reviews are quite good. That 60W amp retails for ~£730, though, which is quite a bit more than the Fishman Loudbox Artist, which at 120W sells for ~£400. On paper, the Fishman seems like a much better deal. Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to A/B the amps, so I was hoping for opinions/suggestions/etc regarding these two options.

FWIW, I have K&K Pure Mini pickups in all my guitars.

Thanks in advance,
-Philip
Will you use it for voice as well or just guitar?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 04-10-2014, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Last Fall, I bought a slightly used AER Compact 60/2... liked the sounds from my two Anthem-equipped Mark Angus acoustic guitars, but the K&K in my Goodall didn't sound very good to me through the AER, UNTIL I got a K&K PURE XLR pre-amp... with that, it sounds lovely.

Still, with only 1 8" speaker, I was skeptical about singing through it effectively... then I took it with me on a trip to Southern California over the Christmas holiday, and had a chance to play a set at a local "Songwriter's Showcase" in Fullerton. The host was using the (already at the venue) DJ rig; a baby mixer, lots of power, speakers flying from the ceiling, but NO MONITORS for the stage... I decided I would use my AER and run a line out to the mixer...

The room was a NIGHTMARE in which to amplify a live performance: 20' x 80' with 20' ceilings, tile floors, brick and stone walls with a large plate glass window directly behind the performer on the shallow (6' depth) stage.

I placed the AER on some cases at the side of the stage, about 4' off the ground and maybe 10' away from me, angled so that the sound would cover the room, but that I'd be able to hear myself. Had a friend there who dialed knobs for me to get the correct volume.

Previously, I had played and sung through the AER, and it sounded good, but very directional... like, "All the sound is coming from that little box over there". Amazingly, when it was turned up to performing levels, the sound came from EVERYWHERE, a lot like my Bose L1 system... just spread throughout the room.

And that little amp COVERED THAT HUGE ROOM, full of people drinking and talking, not really there to listen to the music (they did quiet down when I played). The AER not only covered the room, but it sounded phenomenally good! Most people thought I was playing through the big speakers hanging from the ceiling... my buddy, as well as the host of the event, was blown away by a how good the AER sounded...

That is one amazing little amplifier! And, we never had the master volume up to halfway... there is a REALLY GOOD REASON that the AER costs twice as much as many of the competitors... IT IS REALLY, REALLY WORTH IT!

Before I bought mine, I auditioned it, alongside a Fishman and a Roland unit... both of those sounded cheap and kind of "fizzy" to me... "the AER sounds like money!" ( a quote from another musician friend, who's played bass for folks who were using the AER Compact.

Another huge selling point for me: Just "google" AER amplifier repairs and see what you get... when I did this, there was NOTHING, NOT ONE INSTANCE OF A REPAIR on an AER... as a working musician, reliability is a big factor.

The AER Compact 60 is the REAL DEAL... it's not a PA, doesn't try to be one; it is just a marvelous little 14# unit...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 04-11-2014, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Will you use it for voice as well or just guitar?
Yes, guitar and vocals...
http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 04-11-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:
I as well use an acoustic amp for guitar and vocals. To me if I am using it to gig the vocal quality actually is more important than the guitar. Most people totally look at the guitar. I would listen to those who can give you advice on its vocal ability. I have neither of these two amps but have always heard great things about the AER. Just can't justify the price.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 04-11-2014, 06:23 AM

You know I already gave my 2 cents worth but I am gonna agree with one of the posts above. I have got to play through a few AER amps before. Those little Amps were amazing and the first time I played through an Acousticube I couldn't believe how much sound was coming out of that little amp. AER and Schertler have figured something out. Is it worth twice the price? To me it is. Are they similar? They both have amazing transparency but I never played them back to back.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 04-11-2014, 08:31 AM

I have a Fishman Loudbox 100 and love it,
Have played (guitar & vocals) thru AER 60 and think its a fantastic amp that I would love to own. My pocket allowed the fishman because I got it cheap. No complaints. but the AER is an incredible amp if you have the funds... Worth trying if you can !
Old 04-11-2014, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi pmarino...

One of the reasons I've stuck with the UltraSound AG-50 amps is the coaxial 8" speaker array and how good it sounds when I'm singing and playing through it.

Anything smaller than 8" woofer and the vocals sound harsher and less full.

I'd suggest you consider an amp which is suited to both. As much as I like the AER for high quality acoustic guitar sound, the GenzBenz, UltraSound, Fishman, SWR with a separate woofer and high frequency driver tend to sound best when singing through them.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-12-2014, 01:47 AM

I played the Jam 150 and AER compact 60 side-by-side. No contest, the Jam with it's bigger enclosure and extra 90 watts, sounded bigger and IMO better.
To continue the 'sounds like my guitar but louder' analogy, yes the AER probably did sound like my guitar only louder, but the Jam made it sound louder and better.

I have the Artist now, which I got much later so didn't compare with the other 2.
I think it probably falls sound wise between them, but really they are all excellent amps and I could live with any of them. The main draw for the AER for me was its size, portability and handy carry case, for that reason I did consider it when I got the Artist but for £399 with the power and features it has the Artist seemed an easy choice.

With regards to sound dispersion, most small amps can sound a little boxy close by but fill out as you stand further away, i don't think that is unique to the AER, it's just physics. And really since these amps will often be used as a monitor sat close by it defeats the object of having a good sound only the audience get the benefit. Get the amp that sounds best in the position you will play it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification