The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-22-2014, 10:40 AM

Default Schertler Acoustic Pickups - opinions?

Hello- I have 2 nice acoustics without electronics. I'm thinking of adding electronics to one. I know everyone loves the PWM but I had it in an acoustic a while ago and it left me indifferent. At the time I was using a Rivera Sedona Lite. Now, I'm just going into a Mackie board then mains or ProTools.

Also considering the Baggs stuff.

Not much written about the Schertler pickups (systems).

Anynone with experience out there?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 04-22-2014, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Everyone will have a different opinion. But I like the Schatten HFN pickup. The install is easy (easier than k&k; no superglue). And if you don't like it, it's easy to take out with no residual effect.

It's also a soundboard transducer like k&k. The volume output is low. You need a preamp. I use a Schatten belt clip preamp. The newer versions of the pickup can be gotten with an internal preamp and volume controls. I've got 4 guitars with the simple unit, so I'm not changing that herd of horses in mid stream.

I love it. It sounds as good or better than anything out there IMO. I play lots of open mics and lots of people comment how good my guitar sounds. (while theirs sounds like crap )
Old 04-23-2014, 12:24 PM

I have a Schatten and it does work very well. Mine is the HFN Artist II with the dual source - mono output available. I added a soundhole pickup.
The install as said before, is quick and easy. The sound is really good and it goes in and out of the guitar with no issues. The K&K are problematic removing if you use super glue.

As to Schertler, I have the new SA6 soundhole pickup. I have not decided whether I love it yet. I can say that it has a fairly flat response and is very articulate. One other nice feature is that it has an AUX input where you can put another source in and it has a mono output. I used a JJB soundboard pickup like the K&K and had it wired with a 3.5mm plug so I could just plug it in. A VERY nice feature on a soundhole pickup.

Hope this helps,
davidc
Old 04-23-2014, 04:18 PM

Default my sole experience

was a schertler bluestick in a Huss and Dalton CM and I hated it. Talked with the company at length to try and resolve and end of story, it was what it was. the guitar was so sweet unamplified, so shrill amplified. I hated it, anyone who heard it hated it, I threw it away. they tried to tell me it was an install problem, uneven saddle, blah blah, I put a baggs in same saddle and dispelled that myth, no problem. as an aside, baggs has gone out of their way to help with any questions or problems, you can tell they seriously care. one man's experience.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:21 PM

Default i should clarify

Schertler company hedged on meaningful assistance, Huss and Dalton are some of the best people out there. They had nothing to do with the pickup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification