The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-21-2014, 01:54 PM

Default Any AGF members use a Fractal Axe II?

Curious as to whether anyone owns a Fractal Axe II modeler and uses it with their acoustic as well as electric.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVB View Post
Curious as to whether anyone owns a Fractal Axe II modeler and uses it with their acoustic as well as electric.
I have one as well as the MK III foot pedal(s)...Quite hoenstly I never plugged in my Breedlove or Taylor into it...Never thought about it...until now..
Old 04-21-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratLes View Post
I have one as well as the MK III foot pedal(s)...Quite hoenstly I never plugged in my Breedlove or Taylor into it...Never thought about it...until now..
I had dreamed about getting one for my electric gigs since getting a decent tube amp plus several nice pedals would set you back roughly the same money.

It just occurred to me maybe it could function just as well as an acoustic gig rig as well. I assume it'd be a very tweakable preamp with great fx and you could leave off the amp models and cabs?
Old 04-21-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVB View Post
I had dreamed about getting one for my electric gigs since getting a decent tube amp plus several nice pedals would set you back roughly the same money.

It just occurred to me maybe it could function just as well as an acoustic gig rig as well. I assume it'd be a very tweakable preamp with great fx and you could leave off the amp models and cabs?
Ill let ya know tomorrow...I dont use pedals on my acoustic, but Ill try it tomorrow !!...I have been so impressed with my FX my Marshal has been sold as well as my Fender Blues Deluxe and never looked back...The only thing I have kept was my Orange 2x12 closed back...If your a Tweaker (hehe I owned one of them too, Egnator Tweeker), this is the machine..If not the presets are great too. I know its not everyone's cup of tea and its expensive, but cheaper in the long run...
Old 04-21-2014, 09:53 PM

I've been using the Axe FX II as my main rig for acoustic guitar for about a year. It works amazingly well for this application! I use the multiband compressor, some EQ, the reverb and blend in a bit of IR that someone on the Fractal forum made from the Fishman Aura processors. It took me a while to come up with a couple patches that work well through just about any PA, but once you've got it dialed in, it can be a real time saver. I am using the Baggs Anthem SL in a Martin OMJM. If you have multiple acoustics each with different pickups, you can have different patches optimized specifically for each guitar. Of course, the Axe also works great with my electric guitars. The Axe FX is really a versatile piece of equipment!
Old 04-22-2014, 01:20 AM

Back in the Axe Fx Ultra days there was a guy who sold his Pendulum SPS-1 because he felt the Axe was as good or better.Check out the post by Mike Snider in this thread:http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra-...gh-axe-fx.html. The Axe 2 adds selectable input impedances. Heres a cool video I found while listening to some Froggy Bottom guitars:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jiTVJ3IFWw

Last edited by Lapo; 04-22-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapo View Post
Back in the Axe Fx Ultra days there was a guy who sold his Pendulum SPS-1 because he felt the Axe was as good or better.Check out the post by Mike Snider in this thread:http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra-...gh-axe-fx.html. The Axe 2 adds selectable input impedances. Heres a cool video I found while listening to some Froggy Bottom guitars:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jiTVJ3IFWw
Thanks for that.

Reading the linked thread from the Fractal Forum is making me wonder if I'd be happy with the current Axe II. I love clean Fender Blackface amps.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx...-ish-amps.html
Old 04-22-2014, 09:13 AM

The Fender black-face amps sound great if you follow Cliff's advice on the thread and dial down the input trim (simulates low and hi input jacks on the amp). In addition, the output strength of the guitar's pickups will have an impact on the clean sounds, so higher output pickups may need to be dialed back more on the input trim or the preamp volume control to keep them nice and clean. In addition, I think the add-on cab/IR packs from Fractal are well worth the money - the built-in ones are good, but if you are really picky about getting the sound you want, having the flexibility to be able to mix multiple IR's (i.e. to simulate combining different mics on the same amp) using their Cab Lab software is really useful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification