The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-12-2014, 05:25 AM

You've probably worked out that you'll need to listen to some amps to decide yourself which sound you like. Try to do this in the same setting you'd be using it.

It's worth now drawing up a list of your requirements ... and what is and isn't important to you etc.

It's not just about sound ... for example, you should ask yourself if you want something you can carry in one hand or even under your arm so you have an extra hand free or are you ok with something that requires two hands. Seems like a small point but it can affect the amount of trips you make to setup.

Hope you find the amp you are looking for.

Jan.

Last edited by janmulder; 04-12-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:25 AM

Not that you don't have enough to consider already

Here's one more option ...

Jan.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakedi View Post

Jan.
Cheers! So many options...
http://sptfy.com/94Ue
Old 04-19-2014, 01:20 AM

Hello,

I am also in the market for an amp for guitar and 1-2 vocals. I just wanted to bump this to see if there are any more opinions out there. My Taylor 812CE sounds pretty dang good through my Mesa Boogie amp, of course there is no vocal input. It seems to me the Schertler (or Godin) Jam 150 is the best vocal/guitar combo amp (based on opinions here) but I am also considering the Carvin AG 300.

I'm just trying to decide.

Thanks,

TW
Old 04-19-2014, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Jan.
I like this review. It is a breath of common sense and he really makes that point. I even started thinking I need one of those amps - until I realized I had an AER Compact 60 sitting right in front of me. Anyway, he speaks from experience just as Jseth in our forums here does on the subject.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-20-2014, 01:57 PM

I'm playing a Northern Ireland made Sinker Redwood/Claro Walnut OM with a Schertler Magnetico pickup through a Tanglewood T6.You may laugh. "Tanglewood"? As you are in the UK you should be able to try one as they are a UK company.They retail at about £349 and cosmetically look like an AER. 60 watts and have a built in speaker stand recess on the base.
You might just be pleasantly surprised.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:01 PM

I recently played my Fishman artist at a show and behind me was a Bose L1 system. The Fishman was carrying the room just fine for practice, but when they put me thru the Bose system, the sound was very punchy, big, and made me wish for a bose L1 compact instead of my Artist. Has anyone experienced something similar when playing out? There were over 100 people in the audience.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

I love Bose products but for my situation I liked the Fishman LBA better. If you want more punch but like the tone and features of your Artist, then try the Performer version...180 watts and adds a midrange speaker. It has punch!
Old 04-30-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:

Jan.
Another little known benefit is that the reviewer actually comes with the package he recommends. After providing a few pints and a sandwich, he will sing backup at your gig. Or, for a few more pints, he will play your entire gig for you, while you watch, and drink pints.

All kidding aside, the young man has a great voice, clean playing style and talent. The Godin looks like a cool guitar for that kind of venue.

I found the benefits of the Fishman, as compared to the AER, are straightforward:

1. Price, by a factor of nearly 3.
2. Independent channel controls including volume, eq, and effects.

I am not an audiophile, so I cannot speak to the finer points of one unit versus another in sound reproduction. However, I think the Fishman is quite good, and is the best amp (i.e. most suited to its purpose) I have owned in 25 years. I would submit that your audience is likely even less sensitive to the intricacies. They might be able to discern an electric guitar amp from one of these, but likely not one versus the other. It seems to me, if money were no object, many of the experts on this forum would recommend the multi-channel AER.

I suspect you can't go wrong with either.

Last edited by martingitdave; 04-30-2014 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Forgot to state my opinion.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:11 AM

I have both an AER compact 60 and a Fishman Loudbox 100. I was influenced by Eric Skye who believes the Fishman is better with K&K pickups. I agree with him.
However all the Schertler amps I have tried have been terrific. It's very hard to advise on these issues, try them if you can.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
I have both an AER compact 60 and a Fishman Loudbox 100. I was influenced by Eric Skye who believes the Fishman is better with K&K pickups. I agree with him.
However all the Schertler amps I have tried have been terrific. It's very hard to advise on these issues, try them if you can.
Out of curiosity I visited his website and he seems to have switched his affiliation to AER. I suspect that is more evidence that they are, to some extent, comparable, with the Fishman having the price advantage.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:46 PM

I play through either a Fisman Loudbox Mini or Performer depending on the venue.

My guitars all use K&K Pure Minis and I love both of these amps.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

My .02

Fishman: Everyone loves em for features, but to me sound quality and or warmth to me is just Ok. But here's the thing I still see everyone seem to mention often in the fishman's (Again i like em, don't love em). Either it's the Artist or the Sa 220...I agree the with The Performer for you Fishman lovers. it's their biggest in this series with a bit more juice (60 more watts) and I actually liked it when i played it...even considered it for a new one.

Ultrasound: Love em..more dough, great sound decent features.

AER / Schertler: Awesome amps period, but to me like Genz benz shenandoah series, Riveria or other amps of that calibur, worth the investments (luv luv luv me the GB's) but of course another company fender bought up just to dismantle...I have lost all respect for Fender and refuse to ever buy any of their product (or the companies they swallowed, but that's another thread).

Based on the OP's needs I would say strangely go fishman but the biggest of that series and get the performer.

Last edited by DjFuzzyMcPickle; 05-01-2014 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:29 AM

Just to say one good thing about Fender buying up companies. Those companies were going down the tubes when bought by Fender and Fender just used the profitable parts. You would do the same if you bought a business. Behringer does the same thing and so does Microsoft.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
Just to say one good thing about Fender buying up companies. Those companies were going down the tubes when bought by Fender and Fender just used the profitable parts. You would do the same if you bought a business. Behringer does the same thing and so does Microsoft.
Well that may be true in our eyes as consumers, is that actual fact? I know for one (Genz Benz) was definitely NOT going down the tubes at the time. They were a very successful compnany at the time of the 'merger', 'buyout' etc. They were sold on the bag of BS that under Fender's wing they were going to be allowed to expand, grow etc. turned out to be exactly the opposite.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification