The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-18-2018, 10:44 AM

For remote, silent recording my solution is an Apogee Quartet into an iPad using Auria as the DAW. It's easy to offload the tracks to the computer.

The headphone output of the Quartet is acceptable and the pre's are acceptable for my purposes. You'd be starting to get up there budget wise at that point.

Everything fits in a soft briefcase size bag so it's pretty portable.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryTB View Post
For remote, silent recording my solution is an Apogee Quartet into an iPad using Auria as the DAW. It's easy to offload the tracks to the computer.

The headphone output of the Quartet is acceptable and the pre's are acceptable for my purposes. You'd be starting to get up there budget wise at that point.

I find this interesting as I also have Auria. I have access to my wife's ipad, and I bought it some time ago. Iirc, there was some issue for my situation. I think maybe Samplitude could not work with the Auria tracks. Thanks for reminding me of it, as I will look into it again.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 01-18-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
If you're using Lavry converters, then, yes, there's a proper solution - A Sound Devices 702T. It has an AES/EBU input on XLR.

Not sure about the adjustable input levels.

Here: https://bhpho.to/2DNzzaj

Regards,

Ty Ford
The 702T is a great piece of kit. I really like just about everything Sound Devices makes.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 01-19-2018, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryTB View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
I find this interesting as I also have Auria. I have access to my wife's ipad, and I bought it some time ago. Iirc, there was some issue for my situation. I think maybe Samplitude could not work with the Auria tracks. Thanks for reminding me of it, as I will look into it again.
When you posted you were using a Lavry AD11 for your remote front end I was wondering about using its USB output (instead of AES or SPDIF as you originally said you would use) to some sort of solid state recorder. I'm not familiar with recording to iOS devices, but isn't there a USB Adaptor for these iOS devices?

Several months ago I was looking for an external ADC for my home recording setup. I was very interested in the Lavry AD11, in part for its ability to be a self contained front end for remote recording. While the AD11 would have been my first choice, I ended up finding a great deal on a Mytek Stereo192 so I went in that direction as it wasn't really a need for both high quality and compactness for any field recording I might do.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 01-19-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
When you posted you were using a Lavry AD11 for your remote front end I was wondering about using its USB output (instead of AES or SPDIF as you originally said you would use) to some sort of solid state recorder. I'm not familiar with recording to iOS devices, but isn't there a USB Adaptor for these iOS devices?
Yes, and I have something called the camera connection kit which does it. I have not tried it, but it should allow me to multitrack record onto the ipad.
What would really be nice is if my daw supported AAF so that transfer isn't a hassle. However it does not, unless I upgrade. That would be a plus over hardware solutions in that if the production is more than just a stereo recording, I can import the project without too much grief.
Maybe I should rethink a software based approach. I see now that there is an android app that did not exist when I last looked, and I am more comfortable with android.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD