The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-14-2018, 08:33 PM

Default composite instruments dominate jam

At yesterday's edition of our monthly jam, there were two Rainsongs (DR and WS), my Emerald X20-12, my Blackbird Farallon ukulele. Not bad with only six players total (a small turnout this month). The other folks slummed it with a Taylor 414-R and a mid-level Washburn (he's primarily an electric guitar player so we forgive him).

Last edited by Earl49; 01-15-2018 at 06:03 PM. Reason: changed title
Old 01-14-2018, 08:43 PM

That’s not jam Earl, that’s compote.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
That’s not jam Earl, that’s compote.
Oh my gawd.....I'll pay that one!
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 01-15-2018, 04:01 PM

Good to let slummers slum it up some... makes 'em jealous.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-15-2018, 05:15 PM

I'm doing a show this coming weekend with four different acts and three acts (Four players) play Carbon Fibers, three rainsongs, and my CA hehe
Old 01-15-2018, 05:29 PM

When I first saw the title of this thread I says to myself I says.. "Has someone gone too far?? Will it be good with peanut butter?
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-15-2018, 06:10 PM

At least with CF and eKoa instruments, we could hose the peanut butter off. Talk about coated strings!! We did have cookies, though.

I started the thread to highlight that here in little old out-of-the-way Boise, we have a cluster of composite instruments. You know, for those who might be wondering about them and Google searching for CF guitars. We also happen to have a well-stocked CA dealer locally too. One of the guys with an older N1 DR-1000 is looking for another Rainsong with a cutaway because he likes to play leads. I also think he would like the thicker N2 neck.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:54 PM

Cool , I always wanted to check that town out. A couple I know moved up there a few years ago.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
We did have cookies, though.
Observant.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
At least with CF and eKoa instruments, we could hose the peanut butter off. Talk about coated strings!! We did have cookies, though.

I started the thread to highlight that here in little old out-of-the-way Boise, we have a cluster of composite instruments. You know, for those who might be wondering about them and Google searching for CF guitars. We also happen to have a well-stocked CA dealer locally too. One of the guys with an older N1 DR-1000 is looking for another Rainsong with a cutaway because he likes to play leads. I also think he would like the thicker N2 neck.
Back in the olden days, before the dinosaurs and I had internet, you found out about cool instruments from other players. Now, in Boise, Idaho, or the Tropical Tip, we can find out about all these cool instruments and WHY they do more than just resist humidity. And, then, share it with others at a jam!

Um, did you say there's cookies?
Old 01-16-2018, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Back in the olden days, before the dinosaurs and I had internet,
Yes that is one of Buzzard Whiskey's ancient relatives "Pterodactyl Whiskey"

And some of the earliest ways before CF stores... had to find special Islands

Old 01-16-2018, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Wow! Who knew that Idaho was the epicenter of the carbon fiber revolution! Way to go, Idaho!
Old 01-16-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Cool , I always wanted to check that town out. A couple I know moved up there a few years ago.
You're always welcome here for a visit, kramster. I suggest waiting for summer though, given your thin Arizona blood. It's a little cold here in the winter. There were several days last summer during our heat wave when Boise was 110° while Phoenix was only 107°. Not the norm, but it happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Wow! Who knew that Idaho was the epicenter of the carbon fiber revolution! Way to go, Idaho!
At least within my little circle of jam buddies. I started it all bringing my Rainsong WS-1000 to jams. Then another fellow bought one just like it used. Another close friend really wanted a Rainsong but was short on cash. When a DR-1000 popped up in the local CL I bought it for him and let him pay me back over time. After playing my Lucky 13, another guy bought one used from Reverb shortly thereafter, but he was visiting from Austin. Now there are dozens of local players who have tested my Rainsong, Blackbird and Emerald, and my wife's Cargo. And even more who have been directed to our LGS that stocks Composite Acoustics.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
At least within my little circle of jam buddies. I started it all bringing my Rainsong WS-1000 to jams. Then another fellow bought one just like it used. Another close friend really wanted a Rainsong but was short on cash. When a DR-1000 popped up in the local CL I bought it for him and let him pay me back over time. After playing my Lucky 13, another guy bought one used from Reverb shortly thereafter, but he was visiting from Austin. Now there are dozens of local players who have tested my Rainsong, Blackbird and Emerald, and my wife's Cargo. And even more who have been directed to our LGS that stocks Composite Acoustics.
Kudos for carrying that banner! With only one exception, everyone who has tried my CF guitars has been impressed. And that guy strummed my RainSong Shorty once, said, "Doesn't sound like my Tak," and handed it back. For full disclosure, it did not sound like his Takamine... you know what I said.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:49 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Cool, Earl. It seems you’re on a mission to re-populate the guitar world!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber