The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-02-2018, 08:52 AM

$1000 for interface and mics is great, however .....
How are you going to listen to/mix your music? Monitor speakers or very good headphones are recommended.
What does your recording room sound like? Condensor mics will pick up room reflections that you may like when paying solo, but wont' necessarily sound good in a 2-mic recording. Acoustic room treatment can be done DIY or buying premade rockwool panels (avoid 'acoustic foam').

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-02-2018, 09:53 AM

If you're just getting into recording, my suggestion would be to lighten up on the price of the mics. A pair of Audio Technica Pro 37's for around $350 if you're sure you only want the guitar, or stretch for a pair of Miktek MK300's for $600 if you'd like to "do everything".
Old 01-02-2018, 12:06 PM

I hadn’t thought about headphones. I love my K240s for mixing. You can often find them cheap.

For tracking, I use whatever close-back cans I have nearest. Right now it’s usually a pair of ATH-M30s. Pretty comfy.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Thanks again everyone for further insight into this little project I have going. I’ll be monitoring with Sennheiser Momentum headphones, which are not reference or studio quality monitors, but they should do the trick, especially for the time being. This is quite an undertaking but it sounds to me like trial and error are going to be necessary.

As for my recording area, I’ll be in a large master bedroom with good acoustics in person, but who knows how it will sound through a recording. I don’t plan on soundproofing anything right now, but I will if necessary. I’ll be recording directly in the center of the room facing a interior wall, if that matters whatsoever.
Fender Mocha Burst Ultra Strat
Fender CS '61 Strat NOS
Old 01-04-2018, 05:07 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about treating your room at this stage. Buy some mics and learn the software and techniques, then dive in to the deep end if you're willing!

Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobtay View Post
Thanks again everyone for further insight into this little project I have going. I’ll be monitoring with Sennheiser Momentum headphones, which are not reference or studio quality monitors, but they should do the trick, especially for the time being. This is quite an undertaking but it sounds to me like trial and error are going to be necessary.

As for my recording area, I’ll be in a large master bedroom with good acoustics in person, but who knows how it will sound through a recording. I don’t plan on soundproofing anything right now, but I will if necessary. I’ll be recording directly in the center of the room facing a interior wall, if that matters whatsoever.
Old 01-06-2018, 01:31 AM

Question ¿ LDC & Dynamic Mic's ?

With the SM57 your doing great just with those .

Can it be better - sure - depends on what kind of $'s you have to
spend that's all .

If I was on a limited budget ( which I iz ) I would consider a LDC .

I got a Samson C01 LDC with shock mic mount for $100.00 a long while back . They are still priced close to that now .

It's several years old and works great . It can handle heavy sound pressure levels quite well , it's deadly quiet too .
On my Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 you can't hear any noise when cracking up the mic gain with no sound source going into it .

The mic pre amp on your 2i2 is the same one(s) on my 6i6 , a LDC with phantom power really helps
warm up the mids and low Hz's where the SM57 is kinda of thin in INHO . Combining these two mics gets real quality sounding results for me .

I just ordered a T.C.Helicon MP-76 . It's designed for T.C. Helicon Voice Live 3 (X) and other MFX guitar &
vocal processors . It's got a fairly large diaphragm and is feed back resistant as well as [ Breath Noise ]
when you are doing acoustic stuff with heavy FX in a small room . It has a double internal shock mount system
and built tough for the road .

I'm soon to record an acoustic 000 resonator , 000 nylon Spanish classical , steel string dreadnought ,
soprano ukulele and acoustic chromatic harmonica , diatonic harmonica and vocal . I'm waiting for the
MP-76 to arrive ETA next Thursday . I'll use all these mics too .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 01-06-2018, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The weakest link of most home recording setups is usually room treatment. A well treated room can produce good results with even modest gear.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-12-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

I apologize, as many of the threads in here are similar, and I’ve done lots of research, but trying to piece together everything for someone not incredibly tech-savvy is proving a little overwhelming at this point. So for a quick background, I want to do two mic high-quality video/audio recording for Solo fingerstyle with no vocals. I have the camera/computer set up already (27” iMac with ProTools and Premiere Pro, and a Canon 7D). Now the real question is, with a modest budget, will this work?

2x Shure SM57 mics

Focusrite 2i2 Interface

Will this set up be atrocious compared to say, a single ribbon mic (active or passive) with a nicer interface? I want the stereo sound, and the two mics to pick up the nuances of different sides of the guitar, but if one better mic would sound better than two “ok” ones I am all ears.

There’s such a price spread on mics and interfaces it’s a little crazy before taking that initial plunge.

Thanks everyone.

Eddie Van Halen recorded first VH album with Sm57.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD