The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-21-2017, 12:18 PM

Default Les Paul Toggle Switch

Hi all,
I bought my first ever Les Paul and it just arrived today. It's a used Epiphone and it's a beauty. However, it appears the toggle switch is damaged. The plastic knob is broken and cracked. Also, the toggle switch seems to be not functioning properly. It's very hard to move it between positions and doesn't seem to switch evenly. I'm at my office so I haven't plugged it in yet.

I've never owned a Les Paul before so I'm not sure how they're supposed to feel.

Any advice would be great!

Old 04-21-2017, 01:24 PM
Guitar Gourmet

The first thing to do is open the switch cover on the back of the guitar and take a look. Every once in a while I've had that happen with Epihphones and have found it to be a floating shard of wood from the building process that got dislodged in shipping.

The switch is just a group of leaf springs with a toggling handle to open and close the springs to close a pair of circuits. If you've got a bottle of dry-air or bottled air or an air compressor or you can switch the switch to each position and give it a blast to clear out the foreign object. If that doesn't work you can use a small paint brush to work junque out of the leaves. If it is still rough there could be a chunk of wood or of that switchcap down in the rotating ball. Try blowing it out as well. If none of this works, you may have a physically damaged switch that will need to be replaced. Find a store in your area with a good tech or contemplate sending it back.

If you are are handy, you may be able to do it yourself. It is one nut and three or four solder joints. The switch with cap is a $13.60 item at StewMac HERE. (I think that is the one?) The switch cap is a $1.44 part at StewMac, HERE, next to last on the page. (M3.5 x .6 thread for Epiphone switches, cream, Item # 0514-C) Or, you can call Epi and find out what they say.

All the best,

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-21-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
The first thing to do is open the switch cover on the back of the guitar and take a look. Every once in a while I've had that happen with Epihphones and have found it to be a floating shard of wood from the building process that got dislodged in shipping.

The switch is just a group of leaf springs with a toggling handle to open and close the springs to close a pair of circuits. If you've got a bottle of dry-air or bottled air or an air compressor or you can switch the switch to each position and give it a blast to clear out the foreign object. If that doesn't work you can use a small paint brush to work junque out of the leaves. If it is still rough there could be a chunk of wood or of that switchcap down in the rotating ball. Try blowing it out as well. If none of this works, you may have a physically damaged switch that will need to be replaced. Find a store in your area with a good tech or contemplate sending it back.

If you are are handy, you may be able to do it yourself. It is one nut and three or four solder joints. The switch with cap is a $13.60 item at StewMac HERE. (I think that is the one?) The switch cap is a $1.44 part at StewMac, HERE, next to last on the page. (M3.5 x .6 thread for Epiphone switches, cream, Item # 0514-C) Or, you can call Epi and find out what they say.

All the best,

Bob

Thanks for the advice. That seems like more work than it's worth. I may contact the seller for a return.

Josh
Old 04-21-2017, 07:41 PM

I had a 96 Epi LP Studio and the switch on it gave me trouble. I was able to get it working by simply bending the leafs with a small flat head screwdriver. I've heard of many people going to a Switchcraft brand switch: my buddy bought one for his Epi LP deluxe and the "better switch" wasn't any better.

They feel cheap to me.

And the plastic knob is purely for aesthetics, but it can actually prohibit the switch from going all the way to one position or the other. Replacement caps are not that much.

Good luck.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:48 PM

The Epi switches are junk. I've got an Epi 2015 LP Standard Plus Pro that came front the factory with a toggle that wouldn't hold.

Best thing to do (if you like the guitar) is order a new toggle and a new input jack (that'll go next) from StewMac. Easy solder job on both, quality replacement parts and improves the signal chain as well.

Pretty soon you'll be swapping those "mudbuckers" out for some PAF clones!

Welcome to the Epi LP family- there's good value here when you put a little extra love into them!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

these guys seem to have a good selection of parts

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 04-22-2017, 03:20 AM

Do you like the guitar otherwise?

A few minutes with a screwdriver may fix the problem. If not, a new switch will. Still a minor job with no or low cost.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-22-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Do you like the guitar otherwise?

A few minutes with a screwdriver may fix the problem. If not, a new switch will. Still a minor job with no or low cost.

I haven't had a chance to plug her in yet lol. Hopefully tonight after the kids go to bed. It's in good shape otherwise except one tuner is not original and doesn't match which isn't a deal killer but not optimal. I paid $350 with a hard shell case so I got it at a fair price but nothing earth shattering low. I'll see what I think after playing it but I'm leaning towards returning it and not dealing with the hassle of getting the toggle switch fixed unless I can just dislodge something with a screwdriver.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:41 PM

Just thought I'd update. I took the epi to my local shop and as I expected the selector switch was busted. I decided to keep the guitar and the seller footed the bill of $35 to fix the guitar.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:46 PM

Glad it worked out for you.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:10 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Wahoo! New guitar in the house.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-26-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Just thought I'd update. I took the epi to my local shop and as I expected the selector switch was busted. I decided to keep the guitar and the seller footed the bill of $35 to fix the guitar.
Sounds like a great resolution. Have fun with your Les Paul!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars