The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-02-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
It's unfortunate that Fender inverted the terms "tremolo" and "vibrato" and thus caused confusion in terminology to countless guitar players. "Vibrato" is something caused by bending a string or vibrating your finger vertically on the string. "Tremolo" is an effect generated by the amp. Either way, it's just an effect. When used tastefully and judiciously, it's something else to add to your bag of tricks and expands your expressive palette. When used to excess, it becomes monotonous and rather boring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Blame Leo Fender for that one.
Well, the man was not a musician. And, no, I won't blame him...someone who produced iconic guitars and basses that is still being played today is alright, in my book. Mr. Fender was a genius.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 04-02-2014, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Personally for my guitars, not a fan.
However, I have always liked a good Ventures or Chet Atkins bend here and there.
If I could have one guitar for just using a vibrato bar, it would have to be Bigsby equipped.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Geez, Strong Bad. Nobody here with a sense of hoomer.

Bob
Love the Strong Bad reference. I actually have that on a DVD, purchased from HomeStar Runner. My kids loved it, and I did too.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-02-2014, 10:24 PM

Default Outta tune trems

First let me make it perfectly clear that I don't know what the he#* I'm talking about. That said, for Strat players aren't fender bullet strings designed to stay in tune when whammying.

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6
Old 04-03-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paully View Post
First let me make it perfectly clear that I don't know what the he#* I'm talking about. That said, for Strat players aren't fender bullet strings designed to stay in tune when whammying.
Great comment Paully. I believe that is what the marketing was. I have used some years ago but can't recall the experience. Increases sustain and tuning stability.

http://www.fender.com/news/fender-bullets-strings/

Anyone use these?
Old 10-08-2014, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

A properly set up vintage trem is a different animal over a poorly set up one.

http://youtu.be/Iy-F7iSIopA

http://youtu.be/O0Oyc6slYRc

From light palm vibrato to dive bombs, the trem can add a lot of color and sauce to your playing. I have owned vintage, two post, floyds, kahlers and everything in between. If you never use them they will seem alien. If you spend some time with them they can be very pretty. I played 80s rock, Van Halen etc on vintage and locking terms. The locking trem was the natural evolution but has been tainted by legions of poor harsh dive bomb music. A Floyd rose in the right hands is a great thing. If you are not a rock fan listen to some of the recent fusion style work of players like Greg Howe.

If you have a vintage 6 hole trem and find it a chore look at a super vee blade runner. It takes 90% of the pain out of setup. I have one on a guitar with locking tuners and get near Floyd rose performance on heavy dive work with a classic look? My trem work is softer than than the constant dive bomb so I rarely have to touch the tuners. No more attention tha. A fixed bridge.
Martin OM-42 Martin OM-42 Koa Martin 00-42K Robbie Robertson. Martin GPCPA1 Martin OMC Aura Orchestra Santa Cruz 00. Santa Cruz 00M Taylor custom 12 fret GC Adirondack Taylor 912e Taylor GA4 Blueridge BR-371 Rainsong P12 Atienza Parlor An embarrassingly long list of others...
Old 10-08-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
So, do you like tremolos or not? I know there's always that song you need it in but generally speaking, do you prefer it or not? Do you use it a lot?

I have some guitars when the whammy bars on them (Floyd Rose w/lock nuts) but rarely use them so I tend to prefer the guitars without them myself.
I like them but keep them non-floating for tuning stability and just use them for downward bends. In my view, all the advantage of a hardtail with a tad more flexibility.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

I have hard tails and most trems available. I love the trems but the Bigsby is my favorite for the fine control. They rule!!! -- Darwin
Old 10-08-2014, 07:34 AM

I do love me a classic strat trem. I do love me a Floyd that dips ONLY! Floating trems of any breed are useless to me.

Do a little test. Hit a low E, and do a "double stop" or a "steel guitar" bend on the a couple of the high strings but don't pick them. Just listen to that E. On a classic strat setup properly, and a floyd that is down only, the E stays in tune. On a Floating trem of any breed, 2 point fender, G&L, floating floyd, etc. The E goes Flat. Way flat! That's because the whole guitar goes out of tune. And you have to bend the strings you are bending WAY farther because you are fighting against the fact that the whole guitar is going flat when you bend aggressively.

I love watching Beck use his 2 point strat trem for dipping and pulling up. But there is a price to pay. And I'm not Jeff Beck, so I can't play around those issues like he does.

So my favorite is a floyd that is flush to the body and dips only. Followed by a classic strat. Plus on a floyd that dips only you can use a D-tuna to go to drop D. It actually works dead solid perfect as there is a "micro-adjustment" to set the D. If the guitar is in tune in standard, it stays in tune in Drop-D
Old 10-08-2014, 08:14 AM

I have the trem on my Strat floating with 5 springs. It's kind of necessary for playing surf tunes. No significant tuning issues, but I just use it to add some shimmer to notes and chords. I don't do any radical dive bombs.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I do love me a classic strat trem. I do love me a Floyd that dips ONLY! Floating trems of any breed are useless to me.

Do a little test. Hit a low E, and do a "double stop" or a "steel guitar" bend on the a couple of the high strings but don't pick them. Just listen to that E. On a classic strat setup properly, and a floyd that is down only, the E stays in tune. On a Floating trem of any breed, 2 point fender, G&L, floating floyd, etc. The E goes Flat. Way flat! That's because the whole guitar goes out of tune. And you have to bend the strings you are bending WAY farther because you are fighting against the fact that the whole guitar is going flat when you bend aggressively.

I love watching Beck use his 2 point strat trem for dipping and pulling up. But there is a price to pay. And I'm not Jeff Beck, so I can't play around those issues like he does.

So my favorite is a floyd that is flush to the body and dips only. Followed by a classic strat. Plus on a floyd that dips only you can use a D-tuna to go to drop D. It actually works dead solid perfect as there is a "micro-adjustment" to set the D. If the guitar is in tune in standard, it stays in tune in Drop-D
I've had similar concerns and also keep my strat in a "down-only" trem position. My Jazzmaster and Jaguar can go both directions but I odn't find those guitars to go nearly as flat when bending due to the design of the bridge and the angle of the strings (not to mention the more subtle range of pitch that the entire trem is capable of at its extremes).

I've never loved trems all that much, but I've loved the guitars they come on (strats and Fender offsets) so it's always been a part of my electric guitar playing - if you've got it, might as well use it!
Old 10-08-2014, 08:47 AM

I wouldn't own an electric without a trembar. Use it a lot!
Old 10-08-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arie View Post
that's a neat guitar. still see Nagel's (or tributes thereof) iconic artwork in the windows of hair and beauty salons all over town. very Miami Vice.

nice score!

i see you have a thing for Kramer's. the hollywood gc often has some lurking in the used electric room. might be worth a look if you're out this way.
How much would it cost to paint over it and get it refinished? (snarky I know but j/k)

I have only one guitar with a tremolo, a Casio MG510 MIDI guitar which is actually a pretty good guitar. I changed out the whammy to a wilkinson and it's much better.... stays in tune pretty well!

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics

Last edited by Psalad; 10-08-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:01 PM

I like Bigsbys and love Mosrite whammys, but I certainly don't need them on all or even very many of my guitars.

I have a Kustom K200 w/Bigsby and DeArmond pickups that is pretty good at impersonating a steel guitar. One of my bands a couple of years ago had a couple of songs that required it, it was a little frustrating to have my guitar selection limited by that (I don't like to change guitars on stage).
Old 10-09-2014, 02:32 PM

My Fender tele has one that I installed. I put a Mastery bridge and a Bigsby on it with good results and tuning stability. Got the Bigsby off the bay for $100 and paid full cost on the Mastery bridge and bridge plate. Very cool and fun guitar. My Gretsch Duo Jet had a stock Bigsby on it when I bought it. It is a 6128TCG.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars