The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-07-2018, 12:08 PM

Default Traynor Amps (electric guitars)

Any Traynor amp fans? Anyone not know who they are? I bought a YCV-50 blue combo amp about 7 years ago as my backup amp. It's fantastic, so much so that it's the one I play whenever I plug in now.

Traynor amps are made in Pickering, Canada (Toronto area). They have a 2 years, no question asked, 'fall off the truck' warranty. Their classic amps from the 60s and 70s are still relatively inexpensive compared to other amps from that period. Pete Traynor, the man behind it all, passed away nearly 2 years ago.

What's your Traynor story? Fan, or not? Ever played one? Ever heard of it?
Old 01-07-2018, 12:16 PM

They’re good solid amps. I’ve modded a few, mostly old P2P YBA heads, into Marshall-like amps (The YBA series circuit is very similar to old Fender Bassman amps and changing a couple of cap and resistor values revoices them very effectively).

The newer channel-switching ones with one or two speakers work well - a friend has one in which he’s swapped the stock speakers with a Legend and a CR, and it’s versatile from low to very high volume.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:25 PM
Guitar Gourmet

My big muscle is a '73 Traynor TRM-1 Reverb Master.

It's a great, powerful 50 Watt amp based on two EL-34s and the last of the Traynor designs that was tested for sturdiness by being thrown out a second-story window. I've written up a little page about it, HERE. It sits on a 2x12" cabinet my father and I cut down from a 4x12" Leslie tone cabinet.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-07-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
My big muscle is a '73 Traynor TRM-1 Reverb Master.

It's a great, powerful 50 Watt amp based on two EL-34s and the last of the Traynor designs that was tested for sturdiness by being thrown out a second-story window. I've written up a little page about it, HERE. It sits on a 2x12" cabinet my father and I cut down from a 4x12" Leslie tone cabinet.

Bob
I was hoping you'd chime in Bob. I remembered that you had a vintage Traynor. Looks like it's in great shape.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:15 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I was hoping you'd chime in Bob. I remembered that you had a vintage Traynor. Looks like it's in great shape.
Thank you! It is. I did a few little things like changing out v1 for a vintage 12AX7 and cleaning the tube sockets and it is really great. With the brightness on it is somewhere between a Fender and a Vox and with it off it is more Marshall-esque.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-07-2018, 05:25 PM

Pete Traynor the founder just died last year iirc and I thought it would put a spike in the price of these fine amps. They can be found for great prices and are fantastic amps. I think they are underrated gems ready for discovery.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:08 PM

I have this amp. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTCDCNfsgDs

This video is a good representation of how it really sounds. Love it.

TLJ
Old 01-09-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLJ View Post
I have this amp. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTCDCNfsgDs

This video is a good representation of how it really sounds. Love it.

TLJ
Hey TLJ, looks like a great acoustic amp. Are you in Canada or did you get that in the US (or elsewhere)? I've seen some nice Traynor acoustics at Long & McQuade (Canada).
Old 01-09-2018, 08:56 PM

isn't this high for this amp?

play music!

https://ventura.craigslist.org/msg/d...454015201.html

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-09-2018, 09:08 PM

My friendly local Sam Ash had a Traynor YCV80 4x10" in near-mint condition, with all manuals/paperwork/accessories, for $399 several years ago...

Made the mistake of trying it...

Never thought I'd regret buying a '65 Super RI - no space in my music room/home office for a fourth high-power/big-cab combo so I couldn't buy it outright, would've taken a major bath on the Super if I sold/traded (I like 'em, but for some strange reason there's little demand around here)...

Some lucky picker is going to absolutely steal this one:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Tra...4GC-adType^PLA
Old 01-09-2018, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

I have a YCV blue 50 watt. I REALLY would like to try the 15 watt version. I replaced the speaker and tubes. It gained a lot of personality after that.
Squier Sonic Pbass
Acoustic 30 watt Bass Amp
Ampeg 20watt bass amp
Old 01-10-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Hey TLJ, looks like a great acoustic amp. Are you in Canada or did you get that in the US (or elsewhere)? I've seen some nice Traynor acoustics at Long & McQuade (Canada).
I'm in the U.S. and I found it used in a local music store. I was a little hesitant because I am a newbie and had no experience with Traynor; but, it sure sounded good to me.

In addition to using it for acoustic guitars; it is most often used for an Ibanez AFJ 95 (hollow body). Sounds good with either.

No regrets except that I wish I played better.

TLJ
Old 01-10-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLJ View Post
I'm in the U.S. and I found it used in a local music store. I was a little hesitant because I am a newbie and had no experience with Traynor; but, it sure sounded good to me.

In addition to using it for acoustic guitars; it is most often used for an Ibanez AFJ 95 (hollow body). Sounds good with either.

No regrets except that I wish I played better.

TLJ
. A little more time with your Ibanez and your Traynor and you're on your way.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
isn't this high for this amp?

play music!

https://ventura.craigslist.org/msg/d...454015201.html
Hey Mike,
In Canada $625 CAD for that amp would probably be fair value for that combo (I know that the one listed is $US). I've seen the heads go for $500 CAD range (there's one in Ontario Kijiji for $600 CAD which I think is high and another in NB for $450) - and there's a combo up for $700 CAD, which I think may be a little high (that ad is still up from last Aug).

I've played the amp before. It can get high gain no problem. Don't know how the cleans are or the overdriven sounds and I don't remember if I liked the Brit/USA voicing switch.

It's a discontinued model but that doesn't mean anything.

Is it something you're looking at?
Old 01-10-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Hey Mike,
In Canada $625 CAD for that amp would probably be fair value for that combo (I know that the one listed is $US). I've seen the heads go for $500 CAD range (there's one in Ontario Kijiji for $600 CAD which I think is high and another in NB for $450) - and there's a combo up for $700 CAD, which I think may be a little high (that ad is still up from last Aug).

I've played the amp before. It can get high gain no problem. Don't know how the cleans are or the overdriven sounds and I don't remember if I liked the Brit/USA voicing switch.

It's a discontinued model but that doesn't mean anything.

Is it something you're looking at?
dru: always looking! i've just heard good things about them and thought i might check it out if it is a good deal. but, it seems rather high.
thanks,

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

Last edited by muscmp; 01-10-2018 at 10:37 PM. Reason: add comment

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars