The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-15-2017, 10:06 AM

A number of years ago I refinished my late 70's Precision that had a lacquer finish. What I did was get a large aluminum foil pan and poured in a gallon of lacquer thinner and set the body in the pan for several minutes. Then I used a paint brush and dipped it in the lacquer thinner and bushed the body as if I was painting it. I continued this process and had the whole thing completed in an hour or so (if I remember correctly). I didn't use any abrasives at all--just a paint brush. Doing it this way may or may not have taken any longer to get the finish off but I really didn't have to do any follow up sanding either.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:30 AM

Question... Would a heat gun pose fire hazard while trying to remove a nitro finish, or is it mostly inert because the solvent(s) have already long since gone...??

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 07-17-2017, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
Question... Would a heat gun pose fire hazard while trying to remove a nitro finish, or is it mostly inert because the solvent(s) have already long since gone...??
nitrocellulose is extremely flammable.

It is the prime component in smokeless powder explosive propellants.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 07-17-2017, 04:38 PM

I use stripper and scraper, but around the bindings I use scraper and sandpaper only. It's not a hard process -- what's hard is being patient and careful. Most people rush, and that's when mistakes happen. I have not needed or used heat on nitro, and don't know why I would.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
No, the fumes are whats volatile, yes you can set the paint on fire with an ignition source, but I can also set my house on fire, that does not mean my house poses any more of a fire risk than other general items.

Heat guns used correctly work extremely well for softening nitro paint for easy scraping.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair