The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-28-2012, 08:30 PM

Default Martin DCPA4 Siris vs DCPA4 Rosewood

Has anyone played both the Siris and Rosewood and compared them? I recently bought a DCPA4R and can't be happier with the traditional sound of rosewood and dreadnought. I can strum hard and the sound holds. Some describe rosewood as sounding like a grand piano. I have read up on the Siris and yes, they say it is between rosewood and mahogany, but few had actually played them both. Theoretically because Siris is denser than rosewood you’ll get less bassy sound. Some describe Siris as warmer or less heavy. So, has anyone played both and care to comment? Thanks.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:46 AM

I recently just purchased the GPCPA4 Siris and I too am trying to find some more information on this. I bought the siris over the rosewood because it had a better mid range and still had that boomy bass that the rosewood has. Which did you decide?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:26 AM

Good question ... I have the DCPA-4 Sapele and I'd love to see the results of an thorough A/B/C test of all three versions.

I'm sure there are the usual subtle acoustic tonal differences, but I really wonder if these differences are all that apparent when the guitar is plugged in and going through the Fishman F-1 analog pick-up?

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 09-26-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackville View Post
I really wonder if these differences are all that apparent when the guitar is plugged in and going through the Fishman F-1 analog pick-up?
Based on numerous posts here and other forums, I think the consensus opinion is that the tonal differences of different woods are mostly lost in a plugged-in setting (assuming the same pickup and body size which is the case with the various DCPA4-series guitars.)
Old 09-26-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveoski View Post
I recently just purchased the GPCPA4 Siris and I too am trying to find some more information on this. I bought the siris over the rosewood because it had a better mid range and still had that boomy bass that the rosewood has. Which did you decide?
I bought the DCPA4R. I wanted that big dreadnought sound. I almost bought the siris model because of midrange (as you mentioned) and I like the gold tuners. Then I thought, heck I'm going to get midrange with my Ovation anyway. I'm happy with the DCPA4R. Just envious of the looks of siris model. But I wasn't able to play all 3 models to compare myself.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:17 PM

I've played these two guitars side by side and I thought that the Siris model had better definition. Of course, this is an entirely subjective opinion.

The only reason to go with the rosewood is because it has a better perception if you want to sell or trade it.

Both of these are nice guitars for the money and if they feel and sound right, you can be happy with either one.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmot View Post
I've played these two guitars side by side and I thought that the Siris model had better definition. Of course, this is an entirely subjective opinion.

The only reason to go with the rosewood is because it has a better perception if you want to sell or trade it.

Both of these are nice guitars for the money and if they feel and sound right, you can be happy with either one.
That's a really great point, I too was wondering on how this siris would do if I ever decided to sell the guitar. I'm sure the guys a GC really hate me cuz I have swapped guitars like 3 times LOL but hey it's my 1400$ not theirs!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion