The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-12-2014, 03:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Exclamation

Hey, I just wanted to mention that since Christmas is almost here, I decided to list the Honduran RW/Adi Consort guitar in the AGF Marketplace. Check it out: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=367901
I wish I could keep this guitar, but I'm not a good enough player to deserve it. ;-/
For the right person, this guitar will be a faithful soulmate!
Old 12-12-2014, 11:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

I just found some un-downloaded photos in my other camera, and couldn't resist posting this one. This is the last of a series of rosettes, the Wave pattern, that ran from 2009 till 2012, maybe a dozen or sixteen different iterations.
/ I like how the composition of this photo moves in arcs and circles.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have a bunch of photos of the Honduran Consort that I scarcely remember shooting- it was a quick impromptu session. The guitar is final-sanded, in the white, that is before the lacquer work was done. I like these because you can really see the figure in the woods. It's almost a shame to have to put finish on such pretty wood.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:44 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Hi, Steve! Wow - this thread has some eye candy. Really nice balance on that arm bevel aesthetic. It doesn't look like it's taking much if anything away from the top. And I like the bevel at the back, too. That Katalox is some crazy cool looking wood. I can't wait to see that with a finish on it. I haven't seen that wood used very often but recently I had a discussion with Martin Keith about it. He had crafted a beautiful tailpiece for one of his Archtop Hybrids with a sapwood piece that had some beautiful white shades.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Wow.....turned out beautiful

Hey Steve,

When I was visiting, you were just routing the binding channels...and now look at her..... she's all grown up!!!

As I recall, your intent was to focus your effort on her heart and soul, and not embellish her natural physical beauty with a lot of adornments. You wanted the natural beauty of the woods to stand on their own, and to concentrate your hours honing the innate tonal qualities held within her magnificent woods.

Well, I hope to get back up to Birmingham in time to play her with my own "Two Hands" before you send her off to her new home (because I don't believe that she'll make it to Memphis!!!)

When I looked at, and touched, that magnificent "Blistered Honduran Rosewood" in the white, I had palpitations imagining what it would look like under finish. Your pictures of her prior to finish are beautiful, but don't capture the true beauty of the raw wood that I witnessed in person. I'm imagining the same thing to be true with the photos of the finished guitar... the pictures are beautiful, but I'm betting that she's even more so in person, and I imagine that she sings as a Siren across the waves (she's obviously calling me all the way back to Birmingham).

I also recall looking through a stack of joined back plates, while visiting your shop, and seeing the beeswing/flame figured Katalox...and thinking to myself that it was going to make a beautiful guitar. I had no idea, though, that you would pair it with a "crazy" Bearclaw-figured Sitka top! I'm a sucker for Wild-Claw. I can't wait to see this build continue.

Finally, I would like to thank you for graciously inviting me into your shop, and into your world. You are an amazing craftsman, and builder of world-class guitars, yet you carry yourself with such humility. You have opened up the world of lutherie for me...ripping it from the pages of my books and computer screen, and making it three-dimensional and real. You inspire me to believe in my heart of hearts, that I too can follow the path and embrace the dream. You have a HUGE heart, Steve, and I'm blessed that there was room inside of it for me too. God has brought some wonderful people into my life, with whom I've become good friends...and I thank Him for the addition of you. Be Blessed Steve.

Your friend,
Joel

Last edited by Joel Teel; 12-13-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:43 AM

Default Memphis Guitar Festival

Hey Steve - BEAUTIFUL GUITAR! Send me your best pic of the front and back to my email address. I'll put them together and put them on the Memphis website! Bob www.MemphisGuitarFest.com
Old 12-14-2014, 12:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Guitar View Post
Hey Steve - BEAUTIFUL GUITAR! Send me your best pic of the front and back to my email address. I'll put them together and put them on the Memphis website! Bob www.MemphisGuitarFest.com
Thanks, Bob! Email sent, with attached photos...
Old 12-14-2014, 12:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Hi, Steve! Wow - this thread has some eye candy. Really nice balance on that arm bevel aesthetic. It doesn't look like it's taking much if anything away from the top. And I like the bevel at the back, too. That Katalox is some crazy cool looking wood. I can't wait to see that with a finish on it. I haven't seen that wood used very often but recently I had a discussion with Martin Keith about it. He had crafted a beautiful tailpiece for one of his Archtop Hybrids with a sapwood piece that had some beautiful white shades.
Hi, J.R.! Thanks for your kind comments. I'm pretty excited about the Katalox/Bearclaw Sitka guitar. It's definitely going to represent the high end of the Edwinson spectrum. I got this spectacular Katalox from Hibdon Hardwoods- one of my favorite wood dealers. I still have two more sets of this splendid wood in reserve.
I'll be doing the binding and bevel trim soon- planning on using some fine figure Malaysian Blackwood for that. Stay tuned!
Old 12-14-2014, 01:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

Joel- (aka Wood Knot) I am deeply touched by your generous comments, and very grateful for your friendship and advocacy!

A little back-story: Through an unlikely series of synchronous events, Joel and I became acquainted via email earlier this year, and hit it off right from the start. Joel lives down in Fairhope, on Alabama's Gulf coast- about a four hour drive from Birmingham. In October, he came up here to visit his buddy Cliff, and do some crappie fishing at a local lake. They invited me along on the fishing outing, and we had a blast! We caught a bunch of fish, and began what I expect will be a life-long friendship.
And Joel was able to spend two days in my workshop, as we talked in depth about guitars, lutherie, spiritual craftsmanship, etc., while I demonstrated some of the procedures of guitar making. At the time, I was right at the point of doing the binding work on the Honduran/Adi Consort featured here.

Joel is actively designing his life in the direction of becoming a luthier- something he is immensely passionate about. He is in the process of building a free-standing shop space on his property, for this very purpose- a SERIOUS, professional shop space. I am blown away by the level of commitment he has to this idea. I am certain that Joel has all the talent, ability, and vision to become a world-class luthier. I really hope that circumstance align in such a way that he and I have a chance to work together for a time, as Joel begins his lutherie journey. I think I have as much to learn from him as he does from me.

And just to illustrate what a stellar guy Joel is: A few weeks ago, he and his lovely wife, Rebecca, took their son, Zane, on a surprise trip to Disneyland- Zane had NO IDEA they were doing this, until Mom and Dad showed up at school at noon, with the car loaded for the trip. They went down to Disneyland and had a great time, which lucky son Zane will no doubt remember fondly for the rest of his life. Every kid should have such excellent parents, eh?

Please, everybody who reads this, join me in wishing Joel the best of good fortune, as he makes his way into the Art and Craft of guitar lutherie! I feel certain that he will be one of the GREATS!

Last edited by theEdwinson; 12-14-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Prior to embarking on our expedition, I hadn't a clue as the level of Steve's angling ability, but it took no time at all realize that he could definitely pitch a line and tempt a fish...he absolutely held his own with these two long-time fishing-friends.

Steve's shop space has, as its centerpiece, his Dad's old tablesaw which is in pristine condition. His Dad, a retired Master-Craftsman in his own right, made many modifications to this saw throughout his woodworking journey, and now Steve is blessed to have inherited it, along with all of the magic that it holds... I just love stuff like this.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default What would you do with It?

Steve (or anyone else, for that matter),

I just acquired a beautiful 25-yr-old air-dried old-growth Honduran Mahogany billet that is 4" x 9.75" x 7'. The grain runs from ~ 8-o'clock to 2-o'clock when it's laying on its 9" side...

Theoretically I could cut six 3" x 4" x 36" pieces yielding a dozen 1-piece necks...

My question is, "does the grain-angle of this billet preclude it from being used in this manner?.....Would I be better served re-sawing it into back/side sets?

Joel
Old 12-22-2014, 12:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi, Joel!
I'm not sure I'm accurately interpreting your description of grain orientation in this mahogany plank- send me a couple phone photos of it, showing the end grain, and also the 9" side.
What you want is vertical grain (or slight rift) through the neck heel, for best strength and stability; also, you want to see straight grain along the 4" side, as opposed to diagonal grain, which indicates runout.
Slab-sawn necks (like Gibson is famous for) are much more prone to breakage, especially at the headstock.

Depending on how this plank lays out, grain direction-wise, you may also have the option of making laminated neck blanks, with vertical grain through the heel orientation. Generally speaking, laminated necks are stronger and more stable than one-piece necks.
No matter how you slice it, that sounds like some valuable timber you've got there!
Old 12-24-2014, 03:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

I made a little progress on the next guitar- a Katolox (aka Mexican Royal Ebony) EPC Performance Florentine, with Alaskan Bearclaw Sitka top. The bindings and trim are done, and looking pretty good, I think. I decided to use some highly figured Ziricote for the bindings and bevels; and will probably continue this theme with the front and back of the headstock, and also use the same Ziricote for the fingerboard and bridge as well. The purfling lines along the binding, the top, and the rosette are highly flamed Pyinma wood, which really pops under finish.
I was thinking of giving this guitar the working title, "Yucatan", since the Katalox and the Ziricote both come from this region of Southern Mexico.
Here are some photos of the completed sound box. Judging from how lively and sensitive this body is, I expect this guitar to sound great!
Thanks for looking!

Old 12-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Hi Steve. It's been a while! Wishing you and yours a wonderful holiday season and hoping you have a peaceful and prosperous 2015. The guitars, as always, look fantastic!

I have a question I never thought to ask about the arm bevel. Can you use the same wood as the top wood? I like the look of a bevel, but some feel it takes away some of the symmetry of the lower bout. It got me wondering if the top wood could be used, sort of hiding the bevel. Whaddaya think?

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-25-2014, 12:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Hi Steve. It's been a while! Wishing you and yours a wonderful holiday season and hoping you have a peaceful and prosperous 2015. The guitars, as always, look fantastic!

I have a question I never thought to ask about the arm bevel. Can you use the same wood as the top wood? I like the look of a bevel, but some feel it takes away some of the symmetry of the lower bout. It got me wondering if the top wood could be used, sort of hiding the bevel. Whaddaya think?
Merry Christmas to you too, and best wishes for a happy, healthy, prosperous New Year 2015! That goes for everybody here!

Yes, Mike, I'm sure that could be done- a "stealth" bevel. As we've been seeing here on the Forum on a daily basis, luthiers tend to be a pretty clever and inventive lot, often finding unique ways to advance the state of the art of guitar making. Using a grain-matched bevel trim of the same wood as the top would be an interesting new approach...
Personally, I like to emphasize the bevels with some added decorative embellishment. Sort of as an element of functional art. And also, I love to mix in a little asymmetry, using principles of phi, the golden mean of proportion, Fibonacci sequences, crop circles, nautilus shells, and stuff like that. This opens up a whole universe of creative possibilities.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop