The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 08:19 PM

Default headstock inlay

Here are some more revisions to the headstock inlay. I've redesigned my truss cover plate. Why? Well, as I've done more and more headstock inlay, I've needed to incorporate that into my designs. Its more consistent, when you have to RECESS the cover plate, to make a jig and let the router bit make the entire cavity. The old design complicated recessing the truss cover plate when inlay was asked for/required on the headstock.

Anyway - I added a wall outlet and the reason why is the bottom "plug in" will actually be the screw, so it will "mask" the screw rather well...ha...(its what I get paid for ).

I worked on the neck detail too...that is probably one of the last things I'll post.

Hope you all have a great night.

Kevin.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLPederson View Post
I worked on the neck detail too...that is probably one of the last things I'll post.
I hope you mean it is your last post for today. I am looking forward to the rest of the build........Steve

On the work bench:
Razo 2013 #14 African BW/Sinker like #7 but not

Considering
Sexauer D45 Style Dred in BRW/TBD Traugott TBD - Olson TBD - So many others TBD
Old 03-12-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needspeed View Post
I hope you mean it is your last post for today. I am looking forward to the rest of the build........Steve
This is what happens when the man works so darn hard...he has no idea what he's talking about!!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I guess I was a little ambiguous with that sentence. I meant, the detail I've been referring to as 'the neck detail' - is one of the last things I'll post.

Although I often feel I might be talking to myself in most of these posts its still good to show people what I'm up to.

Have a great day needspeed.

Kevin.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLPederson View Post
Although I often feel I might be talking to myself in most of these posts its still good to show people what I'm up to.
You certainly have me following your threads and I'm sure there are quite a few others as well. Bear in mind, you may feel that way not getting a lot of continuous feedback but you are in fact archiving your considerable knowledge for people to learn and reference who have yet to come as well. The AGF, and places like this, are repositories and libraries of knowledge as well as in-the-now places of discourse.

Hope that makes you feel a bit better.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky View Post
You certainly have me following your threads and I'm sure there are quite a few others as well. Bear in mind, you may feel that way not getting a lot of continuous feedback but you are in fact archiving your considerable knowledge for people to learn and reference who have yet to come as well. The AGF, and places like this, are repositories and libraries of knowledge as well as in-the-now places of discourse.

Hope that makes you feel a bit better.
Thanks Stringjunky, I feel better haha. Keep checking in, this one is going to finish out pretty awesomely (wait until you see this neck detail)...its quite "cool". There is going to be another "little surprise" with this build. But all that is later. Keep watching.

Hope you have a great day.

Kevin.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:34 AM

Thumbs up Loving it!

I'm sure there are many like me who are lurkers...following along silently. Love the build!
Old 03-14-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
I'm sure there are many like me who are lurkers...following along silently. Love the build!
Hey mtnman - nice to hear from you...and thanks. Its going to be a very nice end product. I can't wait to get it there. Patience patience. I'm working on the inlay right now. I'll post some pics of that soon.

Have a nice day.

Kevin.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Yup...it's not paranoia...we ARE watching!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 03-15-2013, 12:26 PM

Default inlay

Well, this could change but here is a glimpse of the idea. The customer 'mentioned' he wanted mother of pearl for the cat/dog, but I cut it out of that stuff at first and it just doesn't "look" like a dog, or cat. So if he wouldn't like this I'd have to shift some gears and pick the other concept back up.

If we move forward using these, I'll do some engravings on the cat/dog and I'll probably have to give the dog a white patch around his nose, because the customer dog has that (he has a pink nose too)...

The cat is cut from Musk Ox bone, I think that was what its called - it was written on the piece and it wasn't 100% clear.

And in the one pic I've got part of the table they are on in there.

I'll engrave the eyes - that will really bring the 'focus' out in them. Hope you all have a great day.

Kevin.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:37 AM

Default inlay

Here is the window frame starting to take shape in the inlay. I've decided to have the right side of the window cracked open about half way. The left side will be closed.

I'm looking for a gray material without 'specking' in it. Just a fairly flat gray/slate material for the cat. His cat is gray in real life. I'm actually having a hard time finding something like this (beside ceramic stone), so if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:05 PM

Default inlay

Whew - finally getting somewhere with this inlay. It looks much much much better now. I went to Home Depot today and the guy at the cabinet/counter area just gave me the gray samples. that was cool.

So I came home re-cut the cat, put the eyes in again, put the nose in again and next will be the engraving of the details which I can't do until its inlaid in the headstock. I cut in the white patches on the dogs face and the pink nose. Looking much better.

Sometimes you just have to do things until they are 'right'. This is better now.

Hope you all have a great night.

Kevin.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:36 PM

You are doing great and thanks for sharing, it really is great fun to watch this piece come together.........Steve

On the work bench:
Razo 2013 #14 African BW/Sinker like #7 but not

Considering
Sexauer D45 Style Dred in BRW/TBD Traugott TBD - Olson TBD - So many others TBD
Old 03-17-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
You are doing great and thanks for sharing, it really is great fun to watch this piece come together.........Steve
Hey Thanks Steve, for your feed back. Its really transformed since I made the cat gray (like the real one) and put the white snout and pink nose on Lloyd (dogs name). The cats name is Kit-Kit...haha..

anyway - the transformation of this inlay will continue to take place once I start engraving the details in the cat, cats eyes, the dogs eyes and "here and there" where necessary.

Talk to you later.

Have a great day.

Kevin.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:58 PM

Default recess truss cover jig

Here is my new redesigned truss cover jig operation. I suppose most won't find this all that interesting but this is how I do this job accurately and repeatedly.

First, here are the two parts I'm making with these jigs. The one on the left is for the recess and the one on the right is a standard truss cover.

I start by using center lines and index pins.

Then I use that part to make the jig to cut this shape. Its a down hill cut and I flip the part to do the other side. This way I get a 'mirrored' image.

Then the recessed cover is trimmed on the 'backside' of this jig.

Then I made this jig to rout the recess in the top of the headstock overlay.

Before I rout the headstock I rout a test piece to make sure the shape is accurate.

Yep - it fits. Tight.

To line this jig up I put stringers on the bottom side of the jig. These are to the normal fingerboard taper. With a few thousandths to spare. Nice tight accurate fit.

It 'splines' over the neck on the top side and indexes by bumping up to the headstock overlay. These are indexable points on my guitars . Now I'm located correctly side to side and the recess will end up in the right spot over the truss rod nut. Rocket science, right?

I'll show you the recess routs tomorrow.

Hope you all had a great day.

Kevin.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop