The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-06-2014, 05:45 AM

Default Gordon Barry OOO+ at TAMCO UK

I don't think I have heard Gordon Barry mentioned here before. I've just had this incredible OOO+ arrive. It has some of the fattest and most well defined trebles I've ever heard.

Here's what David Wren thinks.

"Forget about how gorgeous this instrument is ... forget about the craftsmanship chops this veteran builder brings to the table ... I had the pleasure of playing this one and ... it has one of the most responsive, powerful and complex tonalities I've played in ages ... LOVE this guitar!"

Old 12-08-2014, 10:23 AM

I work just a short subway ride from Toronto's top handmade guitar store. The gentleman in charge of their steel string guitar department owns a Barry and I have had the chance to hear him perform with it, as well as played the guitar myself. It was one of the best sounding guitars I have ever played. I think that Barry is in Toronto now, but I hear that he helped John Larivee set up his shop in British Columbia? Do you have any background information on him?
Old 12-08-2014, 10:29 AM

This is the bio Gordon sent me.

Gordon Barry began building guitars 30 years ago with a five year working apprenticeship under one of Canada’s best known Master luthiers. His guitar makers genealogy can be traced back over 125 years through Jean Larrivee, Edgar Moench and Marcello Barbero. Following his formative years, Gordon applied his skills to the guitar repair and restoration trade which allowed him to study the work of others while developing his own unique line of steel string acoustic guitars. For 25 years now he has built his instruments under the name G.W. Barry guitars. As a one man shop he is involved in every aspect of the design, execution and finishing of his instruments. G.W. Barry guitars are built in a meticulously climate controlled environment using only the finest materials. His instruments have attracted professional musicians and discerning enthusiasts over the years who seek him out for his experience and obvious love of his craft…... “ Great guitars are not the product of one or two features, but rather that of a multitude of details and incremental changes arrived at over years of building and observation. After 30 years I remain passionate and committed to building the finest guitars that I can.”

He also has a website.

http://gwbarryguitars.com/
Old 12-09-2014, 12:05 PM

Thank you for that answer.

What is the wood on the front of the peg head? Is the body trim made of the same wood?
Old 12-09-2014, 06:03 PM

Looks like snake wood to me if I'm not mistaken!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:27 PM

G.W. Barry is an incredible luthier. I've only played a couple of his guitars and they were both great. And every one I've ever heard has been just as remarkable. I was ready to pull the trigger on one that Gord took to Montreal a couple of years ago but alas, someone beat me to the punch. He's also a really personable guy. Amazing that someone so talented can be so down to earth. It must come from the satisfaction of knowing that every new creation is a masterpiece!
Old 12-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

That's a great looking guitar, Trevor. Thanks for the photos.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:13 AM

Here's the full spec from my website listing.

• Adirondack Spruce top
• Tropical figured Mahogany back and sides
• Bound oval soundport
• 12 frets to the body
• 25 ½” scale
• 1/3/4” nut width
• 2 3/8” string spacing at saddle
• 15 ½” lower bout
• Mahogany neck
• Black/white/black wood lines with figured Mahogany purfling
• Tasmanian Tiger Myrtleb indings
• Tasmanian Tiger Myrtle headstock veneer
• Black backstrip
• No position markers (with side dots)
• Paua shell, figured Mahogany and b/w/b wood lines rosette
• Bound ebony fretboard
• Pyramid ebony bridge
• Gotoh 510 tuners
• Black tuner buttons
• Bone nut and saddle
• Ebony bridge pins
• No pickguard
• TKL tweed case
Old 12-10-2014, 09:55 AM

I used to visit the 12th fret music shop's web site fairly often and these GW Barry guitars would sell almost immediately....used or new. It was evident that something great was going on there.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 12-13-2014, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

If I got to pick three guitars to be stranded on a desert island with, one of them would definitely be a Barry ... and it wouldn't be the third pick either!

This particular guitar had all of the immediacy of response and gorgeous trebles I expect from a 12-fret triple-0 ... but the additional real estate Gordon's added to the lower bout definitely added girth to the bass and lower mids! This one's a stunner!
Old 12-15-2014, 03:14 PM

When a friend at work told me there was a Barry guitar on this forum, I had to join. Around 7 years ago I spent many hours in a music store in Toronto playing all of their hand made guitars and ended up with a used Barry. It was the best purchase I have ever made. It really plays like a dream and the sound still excites me every time I play it. I'm glad to see that he is still doing well and building such beautiful guitars.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:56 AM

I keep coming back to look at this guitar. Are there any audio files or any photos of it being glued together?
Old 12-17-2014, 04:01 PM

Sorry, no sound clips but here's some build photos.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:43 PM

Those photos of the guitar being built are great. It looks like the scalloping under the bridge is different than on other guitars I have seen. What is the idea behind that style I wonder?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop