The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-28-2012, 08:57 AM

Default 31 Instruments stolen on Christmas Day

Acoustic Music guitar shop in Salt Lake City was broken into on Christmas day and had over $150,000 of high end guitars stolen. Collings, Huss & Dalton, Martin, Taylor and more.

News story here: http://www.ksl.com/?sid=23535272&nid=148

Shop owner Brian Winter is a good guy who I've bought several guitars from. Hopefully these guitars will turn up and the perpetrators will be caught.

I'll see if I can get a list of Model's and S/N's to post

Last edited by downtime; 01-02-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:09 AM

Unbelieveable. These stories just sicken me. Where are these guitars unloaded?.....overseas? I find it hard to believe that they could be sold in the US.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

I assume the dealership will be covered by insurance but we all need to be mindful that these illegally-obtained guitars are out there and will be finding their way into the used guitar market sooner or later.

What I worry about is guitars like this getting fenced but eventually winding up in the hands of an unsuspecting owner who then turns around and, without knowing they're not legit, offers them on a place like our Classifieds. I hope these guitars are rounded up before anyone else is hurt by their theft. I also hope that whoever committed the crime is promptly identified and put out of business.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:17 AM

It wont be that easy to move those guitars..unless the buyers know they're hot and never take them out of the house.
Thank God for insurance though.

31..or 13 instruments get stolen from my house I dont think I'd be so lucky. Oh wait...you guys hate insurance down there. Would a store even HAVE insurance? Actually, when I think of it...you have auto insurance too right? Just not health insurance?

I have homeowners insurance (and auto and health) but I don't have an extra gear rider. I'm supposed to have an artisan policy because they are "tools" for me.
I spoke to an insurer once and thats what they told me..and the price was pretty crazy.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 AM

Default Stolen guitars

"You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch......"

Sorry, someone had to say it.......
Old 12-28-2012, 11:38 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Truly sorry to hear that. Hope they catch the thief(s) and string em' up by the ba**s!
Old 12-28-2012, 11:45 AM

Is it possible to post a list with descriptions and serial numbers? That MAY help discover them during a resale transaction.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:14 PM

Very sorry to hear this. I've been to this shop and they are good folks.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer516 View Post
Is it possible to post a list with descriptions and serial numbers?
+100 to this. If there isn't some kind of stolen instrument registry, there should be. Who's up for a project?

I never buy a guitar without getting a serial number. Sometimes they don't help much, but in many cases you can learn a lot about an instrument and often correct misinformation supplied by sellers (usually unwittingly).

I would hope that any store owner who is holding such valuable merchandise will carry insurance too. Still, getting a settlement can be a long and stressful process and even though it's a fact of life that people steal, you still feel very vulnerable when these things happen.

"I'd think learning to play the guitar would be very confusing for sighted people." -- Doc Watson
Old 12-28-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 000-18GE View Post
Where are these guitars unloaded?.....overseas? I find it hard to believe that they could be sold in the US.
Not necessarily. Remember when Tom Petty's guitars were stolen last spring? From his studio in Culver City. The guy was caught because he cashed one in at a pawn shop in Hollywood!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

I like Tuxcat's suggestion about a list of serial numbers. I am so sorry to hear about this theft. It reminds me of the theft not too long ago from Guitar Rodeo. These events are hard to recover from. I really feel for the owner(s).

- Glenn
Old 12-28-2012, 12:55 PM

I know from first hand expierance what it feels like to have a guitar stolen. I still think about them to this day. I would dream of finding them only to awake dissapointed to say what I would do to such a person would not be fit to print here. My hope would be for the theives to get greedy and try to sell one quick to the wrong person or the police getting a lucky tip, either way I do hope for the best possiable outcome.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Guest 213

This is tragic. The news video said there were no surveillance cameras at all in the store! How can that be in this day and age? Hope he puts in cameras immediately. You've gotta have those in pretty much any business.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:33 PM

heres one source i check before i buy any guitar from an individual:
http://www.screamingstone.com/

people that do that make me sick
Fishman Loudbox Mini

https://soundcloud.com/fat-daddy-206551814

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEo...JZsD2t0JaE03xg
Old 12-28-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer516 View Post
Is it possible to post a list with descriptions and serial numbers? That MAY help discover them during a resale transaction.
i was just thinking that. I'd check any serials from Craigslist.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion