The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-13-2016, 05:09 PM

Default Pegheds tuners in a Flamenco guitar

Greetings.
I purchased my first Flamenco guitar recently. Amazing guitar, but the peg holes were oval, and trying to get the guitar to hold its tune was next to impossible.
So, I bit the bullet, and ordered a set of Pegheds brand 4:1 tuners, with ebony knobs. I installed them today.
I must say, I'm really, really happy with them. The guitar is simple to tune, holds its tune well, and dare I say, sounds better. I think the Peghed tuners make a more positive contact between the strings and the headstock, compared to my wobbly old wooden pegs.
Anyway, I'm very satisfied with the quality of the pegs, and the communication and service from Mr. Herin.
I highly recommend Pegheds tuners to anyone who's struggling with wooden peg issues.

ps. I'm not affiliated with Pegheds whatsoever.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogrider View Post
Greetings.
I purchased my first Flamenco guitar recently. Amazing guitar, but the peg holes were oval, and trying to get the guitar to hold its tune was next to impossible.
So, I bit the bullet, and ordered a set of Pegheds brand 4:1 tuners, with ebony knobs. I installed them today.
I must say, I'm really, really happy with them. The guitar is simple to tune, holds its tune well, and dare I say, sounds better. I think the Peghed tuners make a more positive contact between the strings and the headstock, compared to my wobbly old wooden pegs.
Anyway, I'm very satisfied with the quality of the pegs, and the communication and service from Mr. Herin.
I highly recommend Pegheds tuners to anyone who's struggling with wooden peg issues.

ps. I'm not affiliated with Pegheds whatsoever.
Brian Burns http://www.lessonsinlutherie.com/ has made several very nice flamenco guitars using Pegheds tuners. Brian at one time was a large U.S. distributer for Pegheds, I used to buy multiple sets from him as he carried the entire line.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Too bad most people who describe their experience with wooden friction tuners appear to have encountered poorly fit tuners. Well fit pegs work extremely well with nylon strings. They tune like magic and they hold for days on end.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:38 PM

I have a set of PegHeds inmy paddle head 1903 Martin 0-28. Work very well and hold the Xlights on the guitar with no problems.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:53 PM

Yeah, Pegheds are great Perfect gear ratio for nylon strings, IMO.

The change in tone is more likely due to the added mass at the headstock, which keeps the neck from vibrating as much, so more energy goes into the soundboard. They're still lighter than regular tuners, but a fair bit heavier than wood pegs.

Wood pegs work well if they fit, but you do have to control humidity because both the headstock and pegs expand and contract with humidity, so they go out of round for part of the year in most uncontrolled climates. And it's possible that the original holes were reamed in very high or low humidity, in which case you would have had to get them re-reamed anyway.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:36 AM

I like them quite a bit myself and built a flamenco guitar a few years back using them. I would have thought that you would need to fix the oval holes before installing them though?
Old 10-20-2016, 03:25 PM

I bought a 30:1 taper and reamed the holes out before installing the Pegheads.
Due to the thickness of the headstock, I had to countersink the holes a little bit with a steeper reamer.
I wrapped each tuner with an elastic band, put a couple of drops of gel-type
crazy glue on the threads, and threaded them in with a pair of hose pliers.
It was a touchy job, but not that difficult.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:47 PM

Default Some pics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical