The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-21-2012, 02:28 AM

Default Sigma Guitars

Hey

I have been searching for my perfect fit for a while. Something that I loved how it sounded, looked, and fit the budget. I knew I wanted an 000 size and I stumbled on a Sigma 000m-15. I couldn't be more excited about it. They seem like they sound great, I love the look, and I feel like the price is good. It was 340 with shipping from the UK. I'm a little nervous about the long journey especially with the excessive heat right now.

I haven't seen this brand mentioned on this forum (I could have missed it). Wondering what you all think of the purchase or the guitars.

This model has the diecast tuners, they make the same guitar with the grover nickel side mounts and split headstock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlU53V7BD1A
http://www.sigma-guitars.com/index.php?id=247
http://www.sigma-guitars.com/index.php?id=378

Last edited by countrymile; 07-21-2012 at 02:52 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:06 AM

SEND IT BACK!!! Just Kidding...the only Sigma Guitar I ever played was a dime store cardboard display poster...Er, no come to think of it...that's what I used it for...anyway, good luck...never know...
Old 07-21-2012, 03:19 AM

Sigma was the entry level brand made in Asia for Martin. I believe that these guitars were first shipped to Nazereth, PA for inspection and set-up before being sold. The Sigma I played looked and sounded nice for the level of instrument it was.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 07-21-2012, 03:21 AM

To be honest, before coming to this forum..which, was just a week ago probably...the only way I knew to learn about guitars was by trial and error...and of course, we know that can be time consuming and costly...I have worked on them, and played and learned from my mistakes...and even lucked up on quite a few of them... but, I wish I had found this site before I ever purchased my first guitar,,, Which, then again, would have been impossible, as the Internet, or, public access and ownership wasn't offered to the public for 16 years after I purchased my first guitar....and..Sigma may be a GREAT Guitar...but, from personal experience, at least with the few Sigmas I've run into...they are not REAL guitars...maybe I need to use the access of internet,
( Now that it's readily Available) to research the more recent reviews before commenting on something I really don't have a clue about....But, then again, I believe 90% of internet product reviews are scripted...
Old 07-21-2012, 03:23 AM

I just can't bring myself to buy a guitar online...unless It's just something I intend to stick in a corner and look at...I have to PLAY what I intend to play.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:56 AM

The Sigma name has been re-launched by a German company and the guitars being made now have nothing to do with the earlier Korean/Japanese models.

I have only heard very positive things about the new Sigmas. Let us know what you think of it!
Old 07-21-2012, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
The Sigma name has been re-launched by a German company and the guitars being made now have nothing to do with the earlier Korean/Japanese models.

I have only heard very positive things about the new Sigmas. Let us know what you think of it!
Yeah, that's what I was reading on their site. Looks like this is a re launch with a serious attempt to have great quality. I'll let you know what I think when it gets here.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:26 PM

I've been going to GC to play all the martin guitars they have as I was trying to decide on a D-28 or D-35, or something cheaper that has that sweet sound. Then I came across threads on Sigma guitars and the mostly positive information on them. I just bought one of the new ones unseen from the US distributor, I figured for $469, if the DR-35 (their version of the D-35) sounded anything like the real deal it should be playable. They sell them on eBay as well, but I called them as I wanted to talk to them, especially since it's a pawn shop. Why a pawn shop as a distributor...not sure about that one. Anyway, they set it up for me as well and it plays and sounds like a million bucks to me! Love playing this thing.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:31 PM

Won't hear much as the use of the name is predicated on keeping sales in Europe. They won't be imported except when someone has an individual purchase shipped in.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:18 PM

The only Sigma-Martin I've played was a Korean-made classical and it sounded like it was made of plywood...3/4" exterior plywood to be concise!
Old 07-22-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisC View Post
The only Sigma-Martin I've played was a Korean-made classical and it sounded like it was made of plywood...3/4" exterior plywood to be concise!
Good job we're not discussing those Sigmas then!

I played a 000m-15 this very afternoon in GuitarGuitar in London, and was impressed! I didn't A/B it with its Martin equivalent, as I'd gone to fetch another GS Mini, but it sounded as a mahogany guitar should (I have a D-15 and Guild M20 and an all-hog parlour) and played nicely right off the wall hanger.

As an aside, aren't Sunday-opening guitar shops marvellous?

It can't be a completely faithful reproduction, it didn't need a setup!
Old 07-22-2012, 05:54 PM

I have a new Sigma mahogany dread. I love it. Great neck, great build quality and sounds fine.

Here's a review of one of the new Sigma models: http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/g...-537270/review

I may well buy another of this brand. Excellent value.
Squier Classic Vibe Strat
Old 07-22-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisC View Post
Did you build an A Frame over it and hang shingles?
Old 08-04-2012, 03:25 AM

Default Sigma

I have a Sigma DR-45 that has an ink stamp inside the body same as american made Martins. The stamp reads "Sigma Guitars Made in Japan for CF Martin & CO" next to that is also stamped " 2 DR-45" The guitar is Natural Solid Spruce top with Solid Rosewood back and sides. Has large abalone diamond shaped inlay at the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 17th frets. Abalone binding around spruce top, around the top and bottom of sides, around the back of body, and around the heel of neck, abalone rosette, around the fretboard where fretboard sets on top of the spruce top, abalone continues down on both sides of where the fretboard runs from top of body down to heel of neck, and down on the end block where strap button is from top of side to back of sides. It has the logo "Sigma Guitars est 1970" in a gold Mother Of Pearl inlay. The guitar was made between 1980-1984 from what I can find in researching on internet. The action is set so that a regular american quater(25 cent coin) just touches the low E as I slide onto the 12 wire fret. This guitar sounds just as quality as my 1990 Gibson J-45. I have performed what i call the S-G 45 sound challenge with a few long time Gibson acoustic owners/players and they honestly can't tell the difference. While they are standing approx 15 feet away with back turned to me with blind on I strum my Sigma DR-45 and my Gibson J-45 one at a time for about 20 full slow strums each and they can't tell the difference honestly without just guessing. I bought the Sigma DR-45 3 weeks ago at Guitar Center. Someone had traded it in and got a new Martin I was told when I spotted it hanging on their used acoustic section of the wall in the acoustic room. I got the employee to get it down for me as it was hanging from top rack. The strange thing is they had it listed as a 20DR on tag and price of $599. Well the lighting in the acoustic room is not all that great and I had to walk around to get a good spot for lighting and hold the guitar just at a weird angle to be able to get a good look at the model number and it is stamped " 2 DR- 45" I strummed it about 10 strums and then immediately grabbed an old old old used J-50 Gibson they had hanging there with a $3500 price tag(I have played this Gibson J-50 for last few months each time I stopped in there) and the Sigma sounded just as impressive, so I purchased the sigma for $599 as I never said anything to the Guitar Center about them having it listed as a 20DR. After I purchased it I looked at my receipt and my receipt says I purchased a Vintage Sigma 20DR for $599. The thing is I have not found any such Sigma model as a 20DR on the internet and can't find a 20DR even mentioned in the wiki history which is very detailed I may add. Also, the wiki history does mention the fact that sometime between 1989-1984 prior to Sigma moving from Japan to Korea they made several DR models including a DR-45. I have found that Sigma factory located in China is making and selling a new version/Copy of the Sigma DR-45 for $1000. The pic is not all that great they use on the website, but it appears to have the Abalone binding similar to my sigma, the China copy has a paper label inside on the Back panel that says Made in China. I can't find a Japan made DR-45 for sale anywhere on the internet so I can get an idea of what mine is worth. I would like to know if anyone has a clue as to what this Authentic Japan made Digma DR-45 would be worth. I will post some pics of it.

Taylor DN3
Gibson Songwriter
Gibson J45 Custom Vine of Life
Gibson J45 True Vintage
Gibson J50 1969 year
Alvarez MD6104
Sigma Japan made DR-45
Old 02-02-2013, 10:11 AM

Rollmodel, I have the twin sister to your Martin Sigma DR-45. My wife bought it for me new in 1984, so it is either a '83 or '84 model year. I have tried for years to get some info on this guitar with no luck. I did several years ago get in contact with an appraiser for Martin Co. that told me they only made the DR-45 one year in Japan and if my memory is correct he said there were less than 100 made. This conversation took place some ten to fifteen years ago so my memory may be distorted. Hope to learn more about this guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion