The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-24-2015, 09:47 AM

Default NUD Pono MGTD

After a little influence from the AGF and watching many videos on The ukulelesite.com, I chose the Pono MGTD.

It is a Tenor Mango wood uke and my first. I didn't expect to hit the jackpot on an instrument I've never played literally and for the price point take a chance based on the available information. I really can't speak to comparitive tone much other than I like the round tone, and much longer sustain, than local ukes in my area have at half the price.

In the end I wanted koa, but mango jumped out visually too and as an affordable option.

First impression is this uke is very punchy and alive in a good way. I worried if it would be too bright but is actually balanced and rounder if you will. The reviewer at HMS said it was between koa and mahogany and I think that is really accurate based on owning both in acoustics.

So the eye candy gamble paid off buying sight unseen...which I asked for them to provide as figured as they could pull. Note - you dont necesarily get what you see on the site pictured and in the video.

I spoke to Corey, one of the super gifted players on many videos and asked "what would you put on for upgraded strings or if at all... if you were setting this up for you?" He recommended the Worth BT 63 inch strings brown in color with an Aquila red lower G. So, I bought and I will install those shortly. I think the colored strings will look amazing on this orangey deep butternut colored wood as well.This was supposed to be done at setup. I had ordered Gotoh UPTs but they sent a text of the factory tuner indentions and the Gotohs would have warranted a refin and fill on the headstock so I opted out. Why they didnt install my strings when they had them off to dress the frets I dont know. But I need to lern how to put them on anyway so today I will start.

The fit and finish on this Pono is everything I read and saw. Akin to my Taylor K14c - which is flawless. The ebony fretboard is perfect. The ukulelesite techs set up and dresse every uke and frets regardless of price point!! Mine came with a clip-on tuner, a HAL uke chord book AND a case humidifier free! I bought the OAHU Case which is not great compared to acoustic quality. The tolex is unevenly glued at best. But it seems sturdy and I'll probably be less reverent with it than I am with guitar cases in travel. Maybe I'll pick up a cooler one. My brother has a brown alligator looking one I like.

The next step is to play enjoy and admire. Thanks for putting up with the longest new uke day post ever

Old 01-24-2015, 10:39 AM

Very nice. I have considered a Pono for a while now, but don't know if I should do it or not. I'm considering the baritone deluxe (probably acacia). I've heard nothing but good things about the Pono's. I like the idea of the truss rod too. Congratulations.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 01-25-2015, 03:17 PM

Congrats! We hear a lot about the Pono acoustics (lots of NGD threads) but not so much about the ukes.

Enjoy your "next steps"!
Old 01-25-2015, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful instrument. I like the fact that there's no bling to compete with the beauty of the wood. Just a tasteful rosette and the makers name on the headstock.

I like those Aquila Red strings too. They sound good and I think that red color looks way cool against any kind of wood.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:43 PM

Thanks all. Really enjoying the uke so far. The red Aquila lower G is on so far and i like the tone. A tiny bit more flexible/quieter than the metal wrap but more nylon sounding in a good way.

The worth strings are not installed. They are much thinner looking than the strings that came with the uke. I'm concerned about losing volume and adjusting attack too. Maybe they still project fine? Is it like medium to lights on a dread?

If anyone has a thought on the thinner worth strings let me know.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:29 AM

The Worths are fluorocarbon. They should increase the tension, despite looking thinner. I like fluorocarbons on my ukuleles.

The Aquila red, low G string is known for snapping on a tenor scale. Seems to be fine on concerts and sopranos. The reentrant set are gaining a lot of popularity.

Another company you should consider for strings is Southcoast. They are expert ukulele string makers.

Last edited by sirwhale; 01-26-2015 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:34 AM

I am strictly a high G player and am a big fan of the Worth Hard Tension Clears (CH). No loss in volume with these. Not a fan of Worth Brown, which feel and sound kind of rubbery and dull to my ears. The hard tension offers a brighter tone and allows for a more direct string attack versus the softer strings.

Congrats on the Pono.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 01-26-2015, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Congrats on the Pono uke! I have one of their O size parlor guitars and it is outstanding for the price. I have pretty much decided that when I am ready for a uke, Pono will be my choice. Enjoy!

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-26-2015, 06:16 PM

Congratulations. She is a beauty.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:17 PM

Both good to knows ukejon and sirwhale. Will have to try some others out.

Mostly fingerstyling and exploring. Found Fleetwood Macs Never Going Back Again song just diddling around by ear. What fun. The acoustics are lonely!
Old 01-28-2015, 08:47 PM

I have a Pono Mango Concert I bought probably 7 or eight years ago. It is a real nice sounding instrument. Currently have it strung with Kala Reds which I like on it. It is about the prettiest Mango figuring I've seen, not real wild but with good figure. Anyway, enjoy yours. My one complaint is that the gloss finish is very slick and it is hard to hold standing up when being played in long sleeves (winter in Iowa) in performances. But it is fun to play at home sitting down.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:36 PM

Worths are on. Pleasantly surprised at the volume and tone. Red low G Aquila is holding up. The gloss body can be a bit slippery but am very satisfied.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:10 PM

Decided I wanted to try a baritone so I just ordered a Pono MB (regular not deluxe) as I kike satin finishes, There's not much to lose at the great prices these are available for.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:12 PM

Congrats. Post some pics and impressions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments