The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-08-2014, 08:13 PM

Default Jack of all trades, master of none. The many dilemas of a possible multinstrumentist.

Hi there folks!
I'm at a crossroad in my life as a casual musician.
For 10 years I've been an casual guitar player.
First i started with the electric guitar, trying to play mostly rock.
Played a lot in the first 2-3 years, and then pretty much stopped playing for 3 years. By then i discovered the resonator guitar, and restarted playing almost every week since then.
At the same time i also discovered my obsession with unusual instruments and such. Or at least instruments not so commonly used.
So i pretty much acquired an entry single cone (regal), and a high-end bandolim (didn't have much of a choice, since there's not a good selection of mandos in my country, only national bandos, in this case Giannini) at the same time.
In parallel to that... Following my background playing rock, I've also ended up acquiring an epiphone bb 3 pickups, considering making it an all round electric guitar eventually with some changes.
Thing is...
Since i restarted playing, i never played with a band... Only alone...
Being alone, i liked to learn instrumental songs the most.
Mid-time i discovered the hurdy gurdy, and with it my love of instruments with continuous sound, drones and such. So i ended up acquiring a bellow blown bagpipe of low quality.
Thing is... Again...
In the beginning of the year I've discovered American primitivism with john fahey, and pretty much discovered my call. It all seemed so alike with the type of little improvised songs i was doing on my on, on the guitar. I would say it was pretty much like Fahey but much simpler.
Since i've played for so long... I'm starting to consider my options...
Money wise, and music wise.
In my mind right now i see two paths...
One is to invest money and practice in only one instrument, maybe two at most.
The other is to go after acquiring all instruments i have ever wanted:
Acoustic guitar 6 and 12 strings;
Slide guitar, or weissenbourn;
Mandolin;
Banjo;
Uilleann pipes;
Hurdy gurdy;
All round electric guitar;

Thing is...
I've been mostly playing guitar... It takes a lot of time learning an advanced piece.
I haven't touched the electric guitar in 2 years. Havent played the bandolim in 6 months, even though i really like the timbre. And havent played the bagpipe in 6 plus months because of quality problems. So i've been thinking of selling them... At the same time i'm afraid i'll miss playing the mando, and won't be able to play it. And that may end up needing the electric guitar for something.

The only thing clear in my mind is that my main focus is and will be playing american primitive and instrumental folk in general.
And that I'll be ordering my first high-end acoustic guitar from a luthier by the end of the next year.

I need all the suggestions and advices you guys can give regarding the other instruments... Should i keep all even not being used? Should i get every and each one, even if i end up not using much of most? Should i keep only one, or trading them for another one more usable? Should i use them for buying the high end guitar? Should i focus on the guitar, and one completely different, and after having great quality instruments of both types, eventually acquire all anyway? Etc...

From personal taste and experience i can say the following about the other instruments:
12 string guitar - Probably worth buying at some point, since is pretty much the same thing as my main instrument, but with a totally different timbre;
Slide guitar - Probably worth too if i start playing slide pieces again. Could reset the action on my reso for it, or trade it for a weissenbourn;
Mandolin - Really like the timbre... But i don't know... Feels like a lot of work, and being a pick-only instrument, ends up reducing right hand finger dexterity;
Banjo - Different timbre. Like it too... But with the same principles of the guitar. Being close to the guitar, I'm afraid it could be set aside, for the guitar. Love clawhammer thought. May be to difficult learning clawhammer though, haha;
Uilleann pipes - ****ing love the timbre. ****ing love the drone keys. ****ing hate the difficulty. ****ing hate the lack of versatility;
Hurdy gurdy - ****ing love the platypus aspect of it (violin, bagpipe, rhythmic kazoo, all in one). ****ing love the timbre. ****ing hate the price;
All round electric guitar - Very useful in a band. Very useless alone.

Last edited by Vindellama; 12-08-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:25 PM

For me it was six string acoustic, then electric six string, then 12 string guitar, then harmonica, then mandolin, then tri-cone resonator. My plate is pretty full right now but it's a great ride. After guitar, the mandolin is my next love. So, other than claiming to be a kindred spirit, I'm not sure what advice to give. Enjoy the ride.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:55 PM

Where did you find a bandolim? I have been looking for one (I am principally a mandolinist) and they are nearly impossible to locate outside of Brazil. From your post, I surmise that you are not in the U.S., but still, I ask pretty much everyone who owns one on the off chance that I get a good tip.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:07 AM

Music is a personal journey at its core and you're asking questions that only you can answer. It's good to test the waters with many instruments, but folks usually end up gravitating to a few of whatever sticks. I'm pretty much locked into guitar, banjo, and mando family instruments. Cost isn't an issue for me as I make everything I play with the exception of guitars. I started out initially making guitars but there are just too many perfectly acceptable factory produced guitars at a superior price point. I even sold my custom Lowden and have settled in very comfortably on a few very nice import guitars, a steel string and a nylon-strung crossover.

My main focus in luthiery is to make unique instruments, and at the same time it allows me to have a top-tier instrument (and as many as I want...) at very low cost. You can see my efforts at my website if you wish. The most recent addition is the short scale nylon-strung 3 string guitar:

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageG...reeString.html

The bottom line of all this is that you have to decide what trips your trigger and go in that direction. You can like other instruments and not have to play them yourself. Concentrate on the instruments (and playing situation) that you enjoy the most and you'll have little regret on your musical journey.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:59 AM

As to keeping the instruments you seldom use: you never know when you might want one! hence my list ....

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-11-2014, 02:44 PM

I can only speak from my experience. I've always primarily been a guitarist, but have dabbled with clarinet, trumpet, violin, piano. But eventually realised I could never master (or even get competent) on all of them so finally decided to stick to strings, plucked instruments. But then I had the same dillemma with them, trying squareneck, tenor guitar, banjo as well as "regular" guitar.
So then I said, ok, just guitars. So now I concentrate on 6 strings instruments only, guitar and lap steel.
New problem - I dabbled in lots of tunings and again realised that I should really focus on a few, so I've (mostly) discarded other tunings and now stick to standard, open G and D.

TL;DR - I narrowed it down.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 12-11-2014, 03:06 PM

Cool thread and i wondered if others here struggled with "multi-instrumentalamania"

I currently play mandolin, fiddle, and guitar. Which isnt as much as some of you, but like most here, i have limited time to practise. The cool thing is they all have skills that overlap each other. So sometimes practicing on one instrument can open doors for another instrument.

I am planning on picking up a lap style resonator though, this will be a pretty big departure from the rest of my instruments as almost none of the physical skills required for dobro playing are learned from any of my other instruments. MAYBE my fingerpicking guitar skills will help, but i never use fingerpicks so its going to be a whole different thing really.

The way i look at it though, im not a pro. I play for enjoyment. I am good enough to show up at a jam with any of my instruments and play along. I dont have any pressure to get better at any individual instrument. For me, being an instrumentalist is alot of fun, and i wouldnt give that up just so that i could excell at one. Im fine with being a jack of all trades master at none.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:52 PM

Acoustic guitar, electric guitar, fiddle/violin depending on the day, mandolin, dobro, and lap steel. Last week I bought a 6-string banjo (banjitar) that I am currently in love with.

My dilemma is that I love to play and perform with others... and everyone I know is a guitarist. I'm a lot more useful as a decent fiddler or dobrist than I am as a good guitarist. I really like playing "slidey" things, because it is a whole different tonality vs. the instruments that are usually found in rock bands and acoustic groups. You can play very simple lines on a fiddle or dobro, and add a LOT to the music.

I think the learning is additive. Learning how to play all those other instruments actually made me a much better guitarist, and gave me a mastery of music theory that I never had before.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 12-17-2014, 04:28 PM

I suppose that I am in a similar boat and I definitely have similar interests that are sometimes overlapping. I started on guitar right after college, and bought an acoustic and a strat. I ended up selling the strat a year or two down the line because I didn't find playing electric on my own all that satisfying as I didn't play in a band or anything and I didn't know how to play leads and solos and such.

Fast forward a few years, now I play Mandolin, Banjo, Uke, Resonator and Piano. While it is the most recent instrument I have picked up, I am really getting into Piano and it is my primary instrument when I play with a casual group of older guys playing classic rock and eagles stuff.

I am currently eyeing Violin, Cello, a more folk style banjo for clawhammer, and some odd things like Octave Mandolin or Bouzouki. Recently I have even been eying an electric again because I have "the sickness"...

As for narrowing your focus, I don't plan on being a Master or virtuoso on any instrument because for me I know it will always been a passion/hobby, so I am open to any new instrument and I don't want to restrict myself.

But I will tell you that it was recording that got me really interested in playing numerous instruments. My goal is record an entire album or originals in my house, playing all the parts. I suppose that means I really need to start writing some songs... But either way, this makes it seem much less like playing "by yourself". Use your multi-instrumenalism to arrange and play some full songs.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 12-17-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
...My dilemma is that I love to play and perform with others...and everyone I know is a guitarist...You can play very simple lines ...and add a LOT to the music...
Same here - last outfits I worked with (a neo-trad acoustic trio and a couple CCM/P&W bands) I played everything but guitar (electric and acoustic bass; 4-, 5-, and 6-string banjo; mandolin; Irish and Greek bouzouki; sopranino/soprano recorder; miscellaneous percussion). For those just stepping into the multi-instrumental arena I'd recommend bass: tuning/fingerings are like the lowest four strings of the guitar, if you have even a minimum of fingerstyle ability right-hand technique should be a quick learn, those hot licks that tend to become cliches on guitar take on a whole new dimension - and the aforementioned glut of guitarists means that if you've got decent equipment and any sense of rhythm at all (crucial to a bass player, especially in an acoustic setting) you'll be in great demand...
Old 12-18-2014, 10:52 AM

My primary instrument is definitely guitar (acoustic and electric). However, in my teens I learned mandolin, which led to playing fiddle. Then I got into banjo and dobro. Played a lot of piano along the way as well. In music school I also studied cello for awhile.

When I was a full time musician, I'd practice guitar most of the time, but tried to get an hour a day in on fiddle. My chops on the other instruments seemed to stay at a decent level due to my guitar practice (using both pick and fingerstyle).

However, when I got married, started a family, got a day job, I had very little time to practice and decided to focus eclusively on guitar. After 16 years of that, now that my kids are older and work is a bit less hectic, I got back into mando and dobro playing. Hope to pick up a good banjo soon too.

I've found you can get a big return with a minimal amount (relatively speaking) of chops/repertoire on secondary instruments. I got so many gigs back in the day because I could play Orange Blossom Special, Cotten Eyed Joe, and a few Cajun tunes on fiddle. Same with mando, dobro/lap steel. A little goes a long way when you can whip out another instrument to spice up a song or two.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:14 PM

for me I can play any lute easily .. doesn't matter if it is a electric six . a bass a mandolin or a traditional lute. I can easily transpose the different tunings and play...adlibbing is easer on the six and bass for me. now I am playing with the vilion and that is not coming easy I call it my hobby instrument . passing my piano bar in college was hard. my congas come easy...play all the instruments you want . really
Old 12-28-2014, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

.....i say play em all....for me...the time i spend playing one instrument always helps and improves my playing on another.....it actually opens up possibilities on other instruments that i had not considered.....sometimes it occurs when i transcribe a tune from one instrument to another.....sometimes its the physical technique required that in turn hones my skills on the other instrument...(like learning to play a mandolin can make the larger fretboard and single strings of a guitar easier to play)....then there is also the fact that generally expanding musical horizons can make one a better overall musician.....i personally don't see any dilemas other than cash needed and storage space....
Old 01-01-2015, 05:29 PM

glad to see that im not alone, hehe.
just bought the 12 string.
guess ill wait a bit until i buy a banjo...
all the new things to consider on the 12 are a bit costly.
aka: experimenting with tunings and breaking strings, buying acessories, etc.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:05 AM

I have stayed away from Banjo/Mando/Fiddle but:

Acoustic/Electric guitars/Lap Steel/Bass/Keys.

I have enough.

Along with running the recording gear, and altered tunings.

2019 Applegate SJ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments