The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-09-2012, 10:41 AM

Default Snobby Resonator Crowd?

I am just getting started into my search to play some resonators and see if it is something I enjoy. I love the sound and tone coming from these odd instruments and I listen to many artists who play them. That being said, I have been doing some research online for a decently prices Reso and have been met with quite a bit of backlash.

Being a Martin guy through and through, I love their products and I will gladly recommend them to anybody. However, I don't say things like "any guitar under 1000 dollars isn't worth your effort" like some have said to me in the resonator world.

I guess my question is, is that true or are the National Owners just being snobby? I may end up with a National one day but I can't justify the expense since I am not sure I will catch the bug enough to stick with it at this time.

I am strongly considering one from Hot Rod Steel at this point and I am just wondering if they would be "worth my time and $". Thanks.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 01-09-2012, 11:08 AM

I've been on the reso prowl for a while: For the most part, the National Resophonics guitars (as opposed the the old National guitars) are definitely superior to most other resonators I've played. The older ones, if we ignore the collectability aspect, can be hit and miss - they can often need alot of work: after all, they are very old! But they have mojo in spades.
Having said that, there are decent sub $1K ones for sure - you just need to be a bit more careful. I personally have a Hotrod tricone, and while it ain't a national it is still very enjoyable to play and sounds great. I've played Republics that are great (and some that aren't), Regals can be great, some brands I wont mention are shocking - the best thing to do is try before you buy, if possible.
It's the same as in the wooden world - you wont get a Santa Cruz (my favourite wooden guitars, for example) for under $1K but it doesn't mean there is nothing else worth playing.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:10 AM

Backlash!!
Well....... I say ignore 'em !!

Get whatever you want....nuff said.
Your hands ....your ears...your dime........... = your choice.

I wouldn't let the opinion of others rule your decision.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:46 PM

Nationals are the top of the heap in Resonators right now in terms of non-boutique. No question. And by a long way. However, what makes a chinese reso unenjoyable is the setup, and a lower quality cone. Would you put a crappy speaker in a Fender tweed bassman and expect it to sound good? Of course not! So there should be no question that you can only expect so much from a lesser cone.

So, if your budget is limited, the trick is getting a chinese Reso with A GOOD SETUP! Hot Rod Steel is currently doing the best setup after it arrives on our shores. Republic is doing the second best setup. Hot Rod Steels have better fit and finish beyond the setup. Both companies are honest, and will stand behind their product and do everything within reason to make your buying/owning experience a good one.

A well setup import from either of those two companies will sound plenty good for anyone! But if you want to take it to the next level, replacing the cone will make an immediate and noticeable improvement. But just like putting a great pickup in decent guitar, it's something you really have to ask yourself "is it worth it?". I don't know if republic would put a National cone in a guitar you buy from them, but I'm willing to bet Hot Rod Steel would before sending it to you...

As to snobbishness? I know my Nationals are better. I've played every import I can get my hands on. But I was well into my 40s, having played my whole life before I could afford a National (remember for most of those years only the original '20s through 40's models existed!). If Republic or HRS had been around from the time I was a teenager, I would still own Nationals now. But I would have played the heck out of the Republic and HRS for those twenty some odd years before I could afford my Nationals, and every time I'd have opened that case I'm sure I'd have the same rush I get when I see my Nationals today!

I am not a spider player, so I will not comment on the Dobro-alikes.

Edited to add, I'm currently comparing a Hot Rod Steel Uke vs. a National. 1/4 the price and nickel plated brass vs the National's steel. I've only gotten my hands on one HRS uke to try, but I'm seriously leaning towards one!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

...i've had two nationals and they were both awesome...my bandmate used to work for National...he has a custom Style O that he built while he worked there...he's a luthier and runs the best instrument repair business in town...he always advocates for setting up imports with a good cone for folks that don't have the scratch to buy a National...he thinks they sound and play basically as good...he oughta know....
Old 01-09-2012, 04:25 PM

Perfect timing with this post
My guitar tech owns a music store and I have been thinking about getting a resonator. All he carries is a Regal brand, but he can modify it with a Quarterman cone (sp?) and do a real thorough setup on it. Since it will not be my primary instrument this actually sounds good to me. About $600 or less, all said and done.
I had the opportunity to sample Regal 40M model, 14 fret, all mahogany body - sounded decent, tuners were of a decent quality, believe it was a single cone. At this time I am debating whether I want a wooden body or a steel body. Hoping he manages to order steel i so I can give it a whirl.
I am sure Nationals are top of the line, or close to it, for my needs a lesser one will do at this time. For a working pro only the besg equipment will do.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Guest 2143

I play a National, but did own a Regal RC-1 for a long time. I gigged and recorded with Regal. It was in desperate need of a setup when I got it, the biscuit cover fell off (I screwed it back on) a year or two after I got it, and it would rattle and buzz sometimes. This being said, it did sound good to me and it held up well. I do prefer the sound of my National, and I think it is a lot easier to play, due mostly to the wider string spacing and much less glossy/tacky neck.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:43 PM

A few months ago I bought an inexpensive "Rogue" single-cone from Musician's Friend. 300 bucks.
I've been more than pleased. The "bell brass" body is flawless. Frets are well-applied and free of rough edges. The guitar was well packaged and arrived in just two days.
Action was just about perfect out of the box. Playing with the slide is fine, and you can play fretted notes with just a bit more effort than normal.

Sound? It sounds like a metal-bodied resonator.

You can see where they cheaped-out a bit...The "bisquit" is rather rough. The tuning machines are a little rough as well. Other than that, I have no complaint.
I understand some are replacing the cones in these with upgraded items, but I see no need at present.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
A few months ago I bought an inexpensive "Rogue" single-cone from Musician's Friend. 300 bucks.
I've been more than pleased. The "bell brass" body is flawless. Frets are well-applied and free of rough edges. The guitar was well packaged and arrived in just two days.
Action was just about perfect out of the box. Playing with the slide is fine, and you can play fretted notes with just a bit more effort than normal.

Sound? It sounds like a metal-bodied resonator.

You can see where they cheaped-out a bit...The "bisquit" is rather rough. The tuning machines are a little rough as well. Other than that, I have no complaint.
I understand some are replacing the cones in these with upgraded items, but I see no need at present.
The brass bodied resonators really do sound different from the steel ones, and of course the wood ones too. Then there are single cones, tri-cones, spider bridges, biscuit bridges, etc. Then there are all the different makers/brands. I mention all of this as it might help the OP consider all options and, ultimately, find something he will enjoy playing and hearing.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:54 PM

I'm sort of an odd example because, even though I play a Resonator, I've had extensive work done on mine and I definitely do not play traditional music on it. That said, I think after 20+ years of playing I can recognize a good guitar. My Republic tricone is a good guitar and gets me tons of compliments every time I play it. Now, as I mentioned above you won't find a Republic like mine in any store. However I did have the guitar with me for about six months before the mods and it was still good—great tone, decent fit/finish, good playability.

As others have said, the trick is play before you buy, or buy one you can return if you don't like it.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:50 AM

I worked with the National Reso-Phonic Guitar Company to develop the modern mandolin they now make; I was their main consulting mandolinist on the project (and I'm very, very proud of the mandolin they put into production, and feel honored to have been part of that project.)

When I was visiting their production facility in San Luis Obispo, California, I asked National's president Don Young whether they ever felt angry or aggravated by the presence of so many inexpensive imported resonator guitars on the market.

What he said surprised me: he told me that, no, not at all, they considered these instruments an excellent way for people to get started on resonator guitars, and for many players they'd be as much of a resonator guitar as they'd ever need. But they also awakened a lot of players to the possibilities of resonator guitars, people who wouldn't have otherwise taken the plunge.

So in that sense these inexpensive imported resonator guitars serve as a sort of feeder system for those players who do eventually move up to the Nationals. Not everybody will, naturally, but they give a lot a people a taste for it, and some of those people do decide to spend a little more and get a finer instrument.

Short version: the imported resonator guitars can sound great, particularly when they're set up and have better cones installed. And the Nationals are going to be there if and when you decide to trade up a little bit.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-10-2012, 01:58 AM

+10 to Wade!

A good technique will silence anyone. I've played alot of bluegrass. You see folks come in with these pricey instruments and can't get past a GCD and a capo. Then some young broke kid will show up with a $100 mandolin and crush them.

Anyone that looks down on an instrument as long as it's in tune and not stomping all over everyone else is not worthy of a 2nd glance.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:17 AM

Well I have a cheap Johnson Resonator that I had the neck replaced on and it has a National cone and it is a fun instrument that I have used to great effect! But I wound up playing a resonator as my main instrument and that started me on finding the best instrument for the job. Three years later I wound up being an artist endorser for National and Don Young made me this triolian which I use at least 5 days a week, 3 to 4 hours a day. It is head and shoulders above any import instrument. The tone is better, the neck intonates properly, the neck shape feels right, and it stays in tune. As a matter of fact, I had 1930 Triolian and this one walks the vintage one. And this is not a snobbery point of view. I hate spending money when it is not necessary. The new Triolian model is one of the cheaper Nationals and is a winner hands down!!!

Old 01-10-2012, 10:33 AM

Thanks for the responses, and I think I understand more. It doesn't seem to me there is much competition at the top like there is in the flattop world from a mass-produced standpoint. I suppose the demand isn't really there to support too (or three) top dogs.

I will probably end up with a Hot Rod here in the semi-near future but I am not sure I will find one to play first. I will need to check into their return policy... Anyway, I am excited about the prospect of a Resonator. I do think, however, it will be an adjustment in mindset because they seem more like a piece of hardware (like and electric guitar) more than Musical instrument, if that makes any sense.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 01-10-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu4life7 View Post
I do think, however, it will be an adjustment in mindset because they seem more like a piece of hardware (like and electric guitar) more than Musical instrument, if that makes any sense.
On the contrary. They are a trubocharged acoustic guitar. They produce (especially the tricones) more harmonics, are considerably louder, and possess in the case of the tricones, and in my experience the wood single cones, ridiculous sustain!

That means that you can get away with a lot more sloppy playing on a wood flat top. Damping is critical on a national, while I know many semi-professional flattop players who have barely developed damping skills. String squeak? It'll be greater on the national. Accidentally hit the neck with a slide? Louder. In a sense it is like an electric because you suddenly have "more" of everything to work with, but it's very much an acoustic, because your muscles, and flesh are all that control it. No knobs or effects.

Not saying National players are better. Just that they have had to change the way they approach the instrument. If you pick up a reso and think you're going to play it just like a regular guitar, you'll be one of those guys with "Yeah, I tried a reso. Didn't like it." stories. You have to give it time, and concentrate on what you're doing, and when it sounds amazing, always question "What did I just do right then that was different?"

They truly were a leap forward. Think of them as a different instrument with a familiar interface. The same input creates a qualitatively different output. Most of them may be metal, but they have every bit as much soul as a fine wood guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments