The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-17-2015, 08:31 PM

Default Mandolin Purchase Question - Beginner

Would you pay $500 for a mandolin with solid maple back/sides or the same exact model with laminate maple back/sides for $300? This will be my first attempt at mandolin, but don't mind spending a little more if it will make a big difference.

Thanks!

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 01-17-2015, 08:42 PM

Whichever plays easier and is set up the best. The difference between them in terms of wood won't really come into play until you are more proficient. By then, you'll probably want something better than either of these. Worry about playing now, worry about wood later.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:16 PM

Honestly, as a beginner, it probably won't make a lot of difference. I think all solid wood instruments (and particularly mandolins) are recommended for 2 reasons:

1) Perceived quality. Until 5-10 years ago, most "beginner" mandolins were terrible. They had intonation problems, high action, basically unplayable. A solid wood mandolin tended to be a higher quality instrument and usually had fewer associated problems.

2)Solid wood instruments "open up." If you believe acoustic instruments open up over time and sound better, then solid wood instruments will tend to open up more.

The thing is, I am not sure any of this is entirely applicable to beginner mandolinists in 2015. Beginner instruments are better and cheaper than in any time in history, and are you really going to keep your beginner mandolin long enough for it to open up? If you take to the mandolin, you will be looking to upgrade soon. if you don't then you won't play it enough for opening up to come into play.

What does come into play is resale value. For both reasons listed above, a solid wood mandolin will hold more of its value when you go to resell it.

What mandolin are you looking at? In the sub $300 market, I am not sure there is a better choice that the Kentucky KM-150. It is all solid woods and under $300. If you buy from a reputable mandolin dealer like Folkmusician or The Mandolin Store, you can have it set up and you will have a great mandolin that you can keep as a backup/travel mandolin or sell without taking too big a hit.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
Honestly, as a beginner, it probably won't make a lot of difference. I think all solid wood instruments (and particularly mandolins) are recommended for 2 reasons:

1) Perceived quality. Until 5-10 years ago, most "beginner" mandolins were terrible. They had intonation problems, high action, basically unplayable. A solid wood mandolin tended to be a higher quality instrument and usually had fewer associated problems.

2)Solid wood instruments "open up." If you believe acoustic instruments open up over time and sound better, then solid wood instruments will tend to open up more.

The thing is, I am not sure any of this is entirely applicable to beginner mandolinists in 2015. Beginner instruments are better and cheaper than in any time in history, and are you really going to keep your beginner mandolin long enough for it to open up? If you take to the mandolin, you will be looking to upgrade soon. if you don't then you won't play it enough for opening up to come into play.

What does come into play is resale value. For both reasons listed above, a solid wood mandolin will hold more of its value when you go to resell it.

What mandolin are you looking at? In the sub $300 market, I am not sure there is a better choice that the Kentucky KM-150. It is all solid woods and under $300. If you buy from a reputable mandolin dealer like Folkmusician or The Mandolin Store, you can have it set up and you will have a great mandolin that you can keep as a backup/travel mandolin or sell without taking too big a hit.
I'm looking at the Breedlove Crossover series. The 2015s are now all solid wood and currently sell for $499. It looks like the several resellers are getting rid of the 2014s at $299. They both have a MSRP of $669.

I'm looking at the Crossovers as they state they have a wider nut (1 3/16"), that supposedly makes it easier for those used to guitar. I've also been very impressed with both my Breedlove guitars (1 Korean, 1 American-made).

Thanks for the input.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:14 PM

The Breedlove Crossovers look like a pretty good deal. I don't like mandolins with a wide nut. I posted my reasoning in the "Why are Mandolin necks so Narrow" thread, but I certainly don't think it is a make it/break it thing.

To me, the make it/break it point with regard to mandolins is setup. Almost every mandolin, from Rogue to Gibson, can benefit from a good setup. I think where you buy your mandolin and how well the dealer sets it up is far more important than wood choice. I think a good setup on a mandolin is harder than on a guitar for a couple of reasons, but two stand out. the nut is really small and usually requires very small, but very precise adjustments, and setting the bridge can be a pain since the bridges on mandolins float.

Bottom line, you would save money buying a laminate Crossover for $299 and then getting it set up by a competent mandolin tech, but the solid wood Crossover (which might still need a setup, it is a $500 mandolin, which isn't much in the mandolin world) would probably be a better instrument.

Are you totally tied to the Breedlove? Like I mentioned before, you can get a Kentucky KM150 for under $300.

You might also consider wandering over to mandolincafe.com and checking out the classifieds.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:15 AM
Charter Member

irregardless of brand, being a beginner with mandolin and a $500 budget, you want a great setup that will play smooth and easy. you will "want" to play more if you get a well set up mandolin, and "less" if you don't.

breedloves are very nice mandolins. well built and great feeling necks. they setup extremely well.

highly advise calling these folks up-either will lead you right and send you a well set up, easy to play instrument:

http://www.themandolinstore.com/Scripts/default.asp

http://www.folkmusician.com/

both shops have well earned reputations at the MandolinCafe for providing correct playing instruments for all price ranges.

I'm a huge fan for 1 3/16" nut widths on mandolins. I've used less wide and just don't care for it. That added 1/16" makes a huge difference for me and allows a no stress playing posture and ease of my left hand. Everyone is different and built different. Get what works for you best and feels comfortable. Starting out you really don't know which direction things will turn for you-in time you will see what you like and don't like.
WARNING: playing mandolin and hanging out with mandolin people is extremely addictive.

this is a great place to learn-and learning correct from the start will help you immensely in the long run:
http://artistworks.com/mandolin-lessons-mike-marshall (there are some free lessons for viewing)

I've heard excellent things about PegHead Nation as well-they did have a free one month lesson plan going on:
https://pegheadnation.com/string-sch...ning-mandolin/

d

Last edited by darylcrisp; 01-18-2015 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:30 AM

Such excellent and comprehensive advice. Thank you to all of you for such quick responses and links to such great sites. I'll post my purchase results ASAP. I have a free local college class (3 hours x 16 weeks) starting on the 30th and I can't wait to begin playing this great instrument.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:13 AM

If you're a seasoned acoustic instrumentalist on other instruments. Opt for the solid wood, and put medium D'Addario EFW74's on it. (smooth sound and feel)
If you're a beginner in the true sense, choose the most playable, and put medium D'Addario EFW74's on it. (smooth sound and feel)

Discouragement from pain ends a lot of musical journeys.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 01-18-2015, 11:29 AM

i would vote none of the above. I would pay 300 for an all solid kentucky with a setup from this reputable shop. If your a beginner, there is no better deal on the market right now

http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idproduct=8697
Old 01-19-2015, 12:16 PM

Thanks again everyone. I decided on not spending too much since I'm not 100% certain this is an instrument for me. Got a new Breedlove Crossover solid top, laminate sides/back for $230.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:49 AM

If you ever want to upgrade, The Mandolin Store says the best mando for under $1k is the Eastman 305, which you can get w/a case for under $500. All solid.

Ukuleles:
Concert KoAloha
Old 02-09-2015, 03:15 AM

I agree. Eastmans make a great starter mandolin, as do the Kentuckys, The Loar is another one that can be great. They use the larger frets. Breedloves will work but I don't like some of their wider boards and modern sound, I personally recommend the narrow nut width 1-1/8th to 1-1/16th for reasons that will become apparent later, like fretting 2 pairs of strings with a single finger tip, and stretching for 4-finger chop chords. Most important is a great set up. The strings are much stiffer/harder on the fingers than guitar strings. truss rod has to be adjusted and bridge highth has to be set low or you'll find it too unpleasant to get very far. Most guitar places don't know anything about mandolins and their set up. So find an experienced place or send it out. Use j74 or lighter strings at first. Then have at it! Mandolins are awesome! Like a violin played a little like a guitar.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:38 PM

I say pass on the laminate models -you may not know the difference now- but you will notice the difference latter ( if you stick with it ) all of the brands mentioned are good . The Eastman is well respected and a terrific sounding instrument -IMO thou a intermediate instrument - a wise choice .
Old 02-16-2015, 05:03 PM

I think Breedlove mandolins are good quality, laminated or not. I do think you will want to someday fairly soon upgrade to a better mandolin once you've found your chops on it. I can almost guarantee you will love to play mandolin because it is TONS of fun. I've been playing guitar as my first and best instrument for 50 years, but I've played the mando for maybe a little more than 10 and I love it. I play mostly celtic tunes on it with a small informal group, but it's such a very versatile instrument that you can play anything on it at all. Bluegrass, of course (the main music that seems to be associated with mandolin in America) but also celtic, old time, jazz, classcal, blues - you name it. As others have said, a good setup by someone who knows what they're doing is essential - it will make a low grade mando MUCH better, and a good one fantastic. Keep us informed as to how you're doing with it, and go become a member of the Mandolin Cafe; it's the place to be on the web for mandolin players.

Jack

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments