The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-16-2014, 05:56 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Default My mom just sent me her violin...

It is the violin that was purchased, used, for her by my grandparents in 1939. It is the violin she played in the symphony and the instrument my father recorded her playing at a recital in the 1940s. It is a lovely European-built instrument in pretty good condition, absolutely playable, with a bow she says may be worth more than the violin. Prices I've seen for the violin are all over the map from the hundreds to the thousands. It had a wooden case that ended up with bow mites. My mother threw away the case, not knowing it could be fumigated. She had the bow restrung but it appears to have another case of bow mites: one of the hairs is disconnected and hanging. I've been warned to store the bow separately from the violin to prevent damaging the case again. The violin has never been humidified since the '30s and appears to be sound anyway. I'll be buying a case to store it in because I don't play violin and I am considering getting a display case for it but have heard that those may not be especially good for the instrument.

What can you tell me about storage of the instrument?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-16-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
...The violin has never been humidified since the '30s and appears to be sound anyway...
Nor surprising since it was undoubtedly made with properly air-dried woods, something I've seen in many older instruments - and something far too many current makers just don't "get." BTW, it might be worth taking a couple lessons and adding some Irish/bluegrass fiddle to your repertoire - nothing keeps the tone up on a fine carved instrument (violin, double bass, mando, guitar, or whatever) like regular use...
Old 11-16-2014, 06:35 PM

Storage is the same as any quality guitar: Ideal humidity is 45-55%, ideal temp is 70 degrees F. Loosen the strings if it's not going to be played for a while, And loosen the bow and watch for moths in the horse hair (although rosin usually keeps them at bay). Enjoy! And, you can get any one of a number of violin cases from online sources. Most good cases will be between $70-$100...and you'll find many good ones closer to the $70 mark.
Here's a link to mine: http://s49.photobucket.com/user/dcar...Fiddle%20Build

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:25 AM

deleted - should have read your post more carefully - you just said that!
Old 12-09-2014, 03:36 AM

The display case being an issue is a myth. There is absolutely no difference between storing the violin in the open, the case, or in a cabinet (display case). What the difference MAY be, is if you can't control the humidity conditions of your house, or your cabinet, but you can your case.

A small case is easy to control with a simple sponge, where as a house is a bit more of a commitment. Go with a display case. Get a light, and show it off. Also do yourself a favor and get a decent humidity gauge to keep in the case with the violin. The gauge will tell you when it's not healthy. The same humidifiers for the regular case will do just find in a display.

-Dan
Old 12-09-2014, 05:30 AM

I have my grandpa's old fiddle (all repaired). While the bow was in the case, the mites got a few of the hairs. Then I heard to just keep the bows out of the case. I do that now, and have never had a problem since. I have the original bow and an expensive one.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 12-09-2014, 06:03 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Thanks for the help, folks!

Bob

Old 12-09-2014, 08:01 PM

I inherited my grandfather's old instrument also. Mine was very nice American made violin, unfortunately it needed a lot of work to get it playing right. I'm glad I went through with it!

Bow mites are actually carpet mites. Don't let your bow rest on the floor, or leave it in the case. Best storage for a bow it to hang it on a small nail in the wall... seriously. Violin storage is like guitar storage. I got a nice Bobelock half moon case for not a lot of money, it's really nice. It has a hygrometer and humidifier built right into it.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 12-09-2014, 08:03 PM

i didn't know about bow mites.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:11 AM
Guitar Gourmet

You aren't supposed to leave the bow in the case. However, most display cases have provision for displaying the bow inside as well. Any thoughts about whether you should?

Non

Old 12-10-2014, 08:00 AM

Bow bugs are really not a big deal. They are usually only an issue when a bow has been stored undisturbed and in the dark for years on end.

For folks who play regularly, the bow hairs will wear out / stretch out every 6 months-2 years. Periodic re-hairs are just part of normal maintenance, and will eliminate any bow bugs that might have shown up anyway. Also, the hairs do occasionally break - you can just pull off the dangling ends with no damage to the bow itself or the other hairs. You only need to worry about the bugs if you start to see lots of hairs breaking without being tightened or being played.

So here is what I would do if I were you. Take the bow and violin to a reputable shop in your area to get the bow re-haired. That way it will look nice and be properly maintained. While you are at it, you might want to get an appraisal done, or just ask them to make a note of the makers of both the violin and the bow, then use that to research the approximate insurance values.

Then, go ahead and store the bow and violin together in a display case, or a nice clean case.

I hope that helps!

BTW - the original case is probably of no real value, unless the violin is really a spectacular one, and the case is original to it, but that is very, very rare.

2009 Huss & Dalton TOM-R
1925 Washburn 5200
Old 12-24-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
It is the violin that was purchased, used, for her by my grandparents in 1939. It is the violin she played in the symphony and the instrument my father recorded her playing at a recital in the 1940s. It is a lovely European-built instrument in pretty good condition, absolutely playable, with a bow she says may be worth more than the violin. Prices I've seen for the violin are all over the map from the hundreds to the thousands. It had a wooden case that ended up with bow mites. My mother threw away the case, not knowing it could be fumigated. She had the bow restrung but it appears to have another case of bow mites: one of the hairs is disconnected and hanging. I've been warned to store the bow separately from the violin to prevent damaging the case again. The violin has never been humidified since the '30s and appears to be sound anyway. I'll be buying a case to store it in because I don't play violin and I am considering getting a display case for it but have heard that those may not be especially good for the instrument.

What can you tell me about storage of the instrument?

Bob
i know a little bit about violins - ( but im no expert )
Treat it the same as a wood instrument of quality like a mandolin or guitar ( as a prior poster says -i agree )
Yes the bow may be worth more than the instrument -very common for a violin player to spend as much or more on the bow - Be careful many players discard them and buy new - they can be rehaired and repaired to some extent.
A decent case is very important - have the instrument and its bow apraised first - then buy a decent case for - The wood coffin cases are way cool -
but not good protection for a quality violin .

becareful with repairs - id only let a competant violin luthier work on it - ( specializes in violins )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments