The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-29-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prickards View Post
Mmmmmm............More.................

[IMG][/IMG]

what he said.

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole- Les Paul.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

"The end block is a piece of rift-sawn Canary wood"

I know that this is probably a really strange (and relatively speaking) pretty insignificant element to focus in on with all of the other wonderful content going on here; But I'm intrigued with your use of this wood at all, much less for the tail block.....maybe the intrigue is simply because Canary wood was one of the first exotic hardwoods that I ever worked with.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Steve, it's looking great. The Indian rosewood is quite handsome.
And, I'm glad you added your copper rings--that's one your flourishes I find particularly attractive. Kudos, mate.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 06-30-2015, 10:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
"The end block is a piece of rift-sawn Canary wood"

I know that this is probably a really strange (and relatively speaking) pretty insignificant element to focus in on with all of the other wonderful content going on here; But I'm intrigued with your use of this wood at all, much less for the tail block.....maybe the intrigue is simply because Canary wood was one of the first exotic hardwoods that I ever worked with.
Hey, Joel. I wish I had some pithy story or secret craft wisdom to impart, but not in this case. The Canary wood was just left-over, from an off-cut of some gorgeous Canary lumber that I sawed up into backs & sides; and the "scrap" wood left over was dimensioned just right, and had the best grain orientation, to make perfect tail blocks. And, I still have about five more Canary tail blocks to use up.
I just can't bring myself to throw away small left over pieces of pretty wood. I have boxes of "scrap".
And if any tiny little people someday go spelunking inside the guitar, it would be cool for them to discover a Canary wood tail block in the most unlikely of places!
Old 06-30-2015, 10:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

The box is all together now, and I've just started binding work. Here's the exploded view, before the back and top joined the rims.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Hey Steve, it's looking great. The Indian rosewood is quite handsome.
And, I'm glad you added your copper rings--that's one your flourishes I find particularly attractive. Kudos, mate.

Steve
Hey, Steve. Isn't it great to work with better-than-average wood? I've seen some amazing specimens coming off your workbench, so you know all about the mystical qualities of beautiful wood.
This set of Indian RW is way nicer than most of the sets available now. I think I got this one in 2004, from LMI. If it is actually the set I think it is, it was sold as deep-forest rosewood. Wait till you see it under finish- deep purple, almost black...
Old 07-01-2015, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Guitar build

Hi all,
as the future recipient of this guitar all I can say is WOW! I saw the wood when I visited Steve a while back and it looked good then, but it's looking even better now.
Many of the specifics to the build have been left in Steve's hands and I'm more than pleased with the decisions he's made.
My anticipation builds and builds.
Jim
Old 07-01-2015, 08:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Jim,

She's going to be a beauty!!! When you take incredible tonewoods such as these, and place them into the skilled and talented hands of a craftsman the caliber of Steve.....

I won't give away the plot.....we'll just have to wait and watch

I'll enjoy watching this one along with you.

Joel
Old 07-02-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Jimmy View Post
Hi all,
as the future recipient of this guitar all I can say is WOW! I saw the wood when I visited Steve a while back and it looked good then, but it's looking even better now.
Many of the specifics to the build have been left in Steve's hands and I'm more than pleased with the decisions he's made.
Jim
You are in great hands here, not only will you get a great guitar, but you are working with a great guy who really puts everything he has into each instrument. In case you have not seen it, just check out his "all the way to Memphis" threads, there are two of them and see what beauties were built for that.

Congrats!
Old 07-02-2015, 11:31 PM

Jumping on the bandwagon here. If you are half as happy with your Edwinson as I am with the Blackwood Rose, you will be thrilled beyond words and proud of both your new guitar, but with the relationship you establish with Steve as well.

Hmmm. I need to get back on his build list...
Old 07-03-2015, 07:24 AM

Very nice. I especially like that rosette.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Very nice. I especially like that rosette.
Hi Ernie! Congratulations on your great new career move!
Remember, you are the guy who got me onto that whole "Element" design course. Thanks for letting me name that phase after you. A lot of the ideas we discussed have now become Edwinson trademarks!
By the way, I am strongly considering developing a brand new design, using the same shape for a 0000 and a 000 size, using some of the other design ideas we were discussing when I was getting ready to build your Element guitar. Very modern shape (maybe slightly asymmetrical) with an offset sound hole and innovative side porting... Pretty exciting to contemplate.
Good luck with your job and home transition, Ernie!

Last edited by theEdwinson; 07-03-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahobbs View Post
Jumping on the bandwagon here. If you are half as happy with your Edwinson as I am with the Blackwood Rose, you will be thrilled beyond words and proud of both your new guitar, but with the relationship you establish with Steve as well.

Hmmm. I need to get back on his build list...
Hi, Ken. Hope everything is going as smoothly as can be with your monumental undertaking of moving the family homestead. I know that's a heck of a lot of work. Please take time for rest and leisure if you can!
By the way, I already have a slot reserved for you, and the timing is flexible. We can discuss that when you have some free time.
Good fortune!
Old 07-03-2015, 10:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Jimmy View Post
Hi all,
Jim
Hi, Jim,
The bindings are all on, and all that's left is to install the end graft, and then scrape and sand everything flush and clean. It's looking great- and moving along at a pretty good clip. I'll post some photos of the finished sound box as soon as it's all cleaned up.
I'll be continuing on with the neck construction this weekend.
I have to say, after I got the box closed up, I'm really, really happy with the responsive, loud, focused tone when I drum my fingers on the top and back. This guitar is going to sound amazing.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:11 PM

Steve - great selection of woods, great rosette, great work. I like your creative sense. I also love jiggery. So I love the rosette cutter and your kerf jig. I'm a full time jig maker and make a few guitars on the side haha.

Looking great. Have a nice day, Steve.

Kevin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop