The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 08:13 AM

Love the rosette. That splash of color is a nice touch!

Pat
Old 06-26-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubade Acoustics View Post
Kevin, always enjoy the artistry in your posts. Very inspiring! Gonna be another fine instrument.
Aubade - Thanks brother!! This is going to be a outstanding finish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Foster View Post
Love the rosette. That splash of color is a nice touch!

Pat
Pat - Thanks, I got more coming like it!!! Love this coloring!

Kevin.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:20 PM

Got in some new wood for my next round of rosettes. These are going to be outstanding. I'll be posting a couple more build threads to move all this forward!

This is outside.

And I had a great day in Iowa, was a nice day. Not too humid. I was able to get some air in my shop and I also made some braces. Had three guys stop buy and check out the guitars. Things are moving forward!

I spend a lot of time on the inside of my guitars on the brace. Making it just the right size, weight and stiffness. I've been dialing this in for a while now. I think Bruce Sexaur plucked across the strings at Memphis and said "oohh...that's real good!". It had a punchy bass with a swelling overtone and "that sound". That was an EVA UM (offset soundhole).

Back to this SJ. This guitar I'm getting the weight down significantly but I still have macassar b/s...so I can only go so low. But with this Engelmann top and my brace pared away, it should sound outstanding. It will have a high definition Leopard on the headstock and this was no charge to this fellow. NO rush on that offer, it will be good through next April

Hope you had a great day!!

Kevin.

Last edited by KevinLPederson; 06-30-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:27 PM

I am sorry if I missed it, but what kind of wood is that? (besides fantastic that is)
Old 06-30-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I am sorry if I missed it, but what kind of wood is that? (besides fantastic that is)
TomB'sox...sorry for the long overdue reply. I've been really busy at building.

its buckeye burl and something else...hahaha...can't even remember. I'll have to look that up. Or I'll show tell you in a few posts.

Hope you are having a great day!!!

Kevin.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:20 PM

Here is an absolute KILLER piece of macassar ebony. If you want something like this along with your Leopard, hit me up!! Or the Tree Mahogany with a high definition Leopard. Back to this guitar.

and another angle/different lighting.

and this is master grade engelmann spruce. I deflection tested this piece today along with weight calculations. Its going to be full and lush. I hand selected this in '09 at the Healdsburg Guitar Festival (from LMI).

Here is another angle of this beautiful Engelmann. This piece had a GREAT tap tone. Then through deflection testing I can go to the exact dimension I need. Its "tuned" into my system.

Kind of a teaser. The ebony board is jet black as should be on a guitar of this caliber. Same with the bridge. This is not the bridge, this is a prop. But the bridge is very black ebony too.

The one on the bottom right is available. Here is a link to the thread http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=387970

It can certainly be yours and I'll do a headstock Leopard on it for you. This top is master grade sitka...has great silking...killer tap tone...was stiff so I could take it a little thinner than normal. I know this from deflection testing...mass/weight ratios.

Have a super evening.

Kevin.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:27 PM

Here is a pic of the rosette installed.

I'll be able to get the hole out tomorrow and move onto the bracing.

Kevin.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:47 AM

Kevin I really love those rosettes! I like how the width isn't too wide and the many pieces you put in the channel. Along with the fine black lines between the pieces not to mention the beautiful pieces of wood you used. Very scrumptious!
Old 07-02-2015, 09:20 AM

Stop that!! Your making me drool.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:51 AM

Awesome rosette. Love that blue.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:18 PM

Great build thread and beautiful work on this guitar, excellent design choices too.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Doerr View Post
Kevin I really love those rosettes! I like how the width isn't too wide and the many pieces you put in the channel. Along with the fine black lines between the pieces not to mention the beautiful pieces of wood you used. Very scrumptious!
Thanks Tom, that means a lot. I think about these things a lot, about how everything should look "just right". Sheldon always said to me "it has to look right". And it does. Thanks again, Tom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Stop that!! Your making me drool.
Drool on !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scallywag View Post
Awesome rosette. Love that blue.
Yep, that is cool, I ran that by the guy to make sure. I could have changed out that piece but he liked it. So, we're going to roll with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Great build thread and beautiful work on this guitar, excellent design choices too.
Thanks BBWW . Thanks for the comment. I love how this one is going to come out. Its going to have an excellent finish. This guy opted for a Leopard on his headstock (why wouldn't you?). Hope its nice in San Fran today!! Beautiful day in Iowa last day or so...hoping for low humidity today too.

Kevin.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:33 AM

Ok - I got the back braces on yesterday. This one is starting to look really nice.

Braces going on in the vac bag.

Here is how I make sure these are straight. I just double stick tape the straight edge to the back. It can go in the vac bag too!

Got the sound hole cut out removed and the black inner line put on the sound hole.

I should get more done on this one today. Its starting to look good.

Kevin.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:25 PM

Here is the back bracing on this SJ.

In the bag getting the center spline put in.

Out of the bag.

Using macassar ebony for the strap.

And a little cool shot to show the top and back.

Hope you all have a great evening.

Kevin.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:17 PM

Very nice Kevin. The rosette and stripey wood work well together.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop