The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-12-2018, 06:33 AM

Default Allen and Heath, or Soundcraft for good reverb?

My Mackie ProFX8 does not have "Pro Effects", to my ear. For a small 8-10 ch. mixer, with good effects, any others to consider? Mostly going through a Bose L-1 Compact, for a duo. I'd rather not use an out board effects unit. Even with the minimal use of effects, the Mackie bugs me. I figured Mackie was a solid bet, but it was not right for my ears.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

The Yamaha and Soundcraft small mixers both have really good verbs in them. the Soundcraft slightly better to my ears but they are a little bit larger boards too. Never heard the A&H but have heard great things.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 02-12-2018, 08:38 AM

Have you considered the Bose T1 .. Pristine sound quality! They also have a new model coming out TS4.

With that said, I have the T1 and Allen & Heath ZED10fx... Frankly, I have been using the ZED10 more and more. I'm still getting my sound system solidified and do like a traditional mixer style unit (like the ZED). Sounds very good to my ear.. I use it in my home studio all the time. It has USB to use as a easy 2 channel recording to my DAW.

As for Effects... I use the Delay and Verbs.. Just a pinch to taste. I think it sounds fine. But I am not huge into effects. I have a TC Helicon for my vocals.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:55 AM

I have an A&H ZED10FX and a Soundcraft MFXi12, and I think the effects on both are good (or I should say the Hall or Vocal/Hall reverbs are good, since that's really all I ever use). Maybe the Soundcraft has a slight edge and the controls for tweaking the parameters are better designed. But I have no complaints about either unit.

Louis
Old 02-12-2018, 11:38 AM

I've had both the Soundcraft and Allen and Heath, and they both have good sounding reverbs, and I also own the Bose T1. That said I like the long reverbs in the Allen an Heath. Another good contender is the QSC Touchmix 8. If you are not afraid of getting into a digital mixer they are great!
Old 02-12-2018, 12:18 PM

Another A&H ZED10fx user here. For my solo gigs, it's perfect. I only use a touch of effects, but it's great for what I need. I've actually done a couple of gigs with no mixer at all - just direct into my Maui array which has a "mixer" built in (no EQ or FX). Like I said, I only use a touch of effects from the ZED, but like having the controls sitting right next to me when I'm playing (vs having to reach behind my Maui).

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 02-12-2018, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the input. Yes, I only need a touch of effect, but the Mackie is better with no effect, than what it has, even down low. The plate verb on my guitar pedal is so much cleaner, there must be a mixer with a similar quality effect built in.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:19 PM

I have a Zoom Livetrak L12 mixer. It has an ability to record into a SD card 12 channels simultaneously and I think the reverb effects are good.
I especially like the Plate and DrumAmb setting, the first one works great on vocals and lush guitars and the second one is perfect on busy-playing guitars when you don't want the reverb to be obvious.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:26 PM

I always think Allen and Heath gear is more robust to Soundcraft - both sound good but I’d go A&H
Martin J40
Old 02-12-2018, 08:23 PM

I have a Soundcraft EFX8 and A&H 6fx. To my ears the Soundcraft is better all ways around.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:01 PM

I have an A&H Zed10fx, an A&H Zed 60-14fx and a Soundcraft Notepad 8fx. When I play out I take the A&H Zed 60-14fx, having more channels than I think I need has come in handy more than once. The difference between the A&H 10fx and the Soundcraft Notepad 8fx is great with the A&H 10fx being much better. The two mixers (Soundcraft and 10fx) are competing at two different price points and for two different markets. The Soundcraft is suited for a soloist or on a pedal board. The 10fx has the channels you need for a duo, the eq'ing controls that the Soundcraft doesn't have and a good fx.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification