The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-27-2012, 09:58 PM

Question Marshall AS50D D.I. out noise problem

Hi!

I've successfully connected the D.I. out in the back of my AS50D amplifier to a mic channel input on my Soundcraft MFXi8 mixer.

Problem is, there seems to be some kind of hiss/noise coming out of my studio monitors...

Did anyone ever experience this? Could this be a ground problem? If so, it's kinda unfortunate the Marshall has no ground lift switch?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:48 PM

Is it a hum, or is it a steady noise; more like a "shhhhhh"?

Off-hand, I'd guess the latter, and that would most likely be a simple gain-staging issue.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:22 AM

Hello!

It's like a small hiss... not hum, you are right.

I'm actually using a TC Helicon G-XT pedal in front of the Marshall AS50D... The guitar is plugged in the pedal's input and instrument-thru goes into the amp.

The XLR DI out of the AS50D carries the effects (chorus, reverb) but the amp's volume knobs does not affect the volume. The gain seems to be under control on the mixer... Kinda confusing, not that the noise is super present, but it's noticeable and I would not want that on my recordings Every other channel on the mixer is dead quiet.

I've read a few things about putting everything that's plugged together in the same power strip... do you think that could help?
Old 11-28-2012, 07:03 AM

I would probably start with the absolute simplest signal chain and add one piece at a time until it showed up. That leaves the question of what to do if it never goes away though. If you are on a channel with adjustable gain, I might try lowering the gain and channel level, and see if it lessens. Last resort, several programs like Audacity have the ability to cancel white noise in editing. Hope this helps some, it took me some time and a lot of experimentation to track down a hiss last time I had one show up.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 11-30-2012, 09:33 PM

The Harmony G-XT pedal does not seem to be the culprit. I plugged the Seagull S6 straight into the Marshall amp, and there is still this slight hiss coming from the D.I. out.

Perhaps this has something to do with the guitar's piezo pickup not being powerful enough in the first place? I need to turn up the gain very high on the mixer to get a powerful signal (pot is turned up almost 80 %), so this is probably why i'm getting that hiss.

Maybe the guitar needs some kind of preamp, even before feeding in through the amp?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:13 PM

Let me think out loud for a minute. Checklist: Good battery in guitar, guitar volume turned up, mixer channel gain at about mid, channel fader at 3/4. Just looked up the manual for that amp. The mic and instrument channel volumes are before the DI output, the amp master volume is after. Therefore, the higher the channel volume, the stronger the DI signal up to a point. Try turning the amp master volume way down, and turn up the instrument channel volume to around 1/2 to 3/4. Reset the mixer gain and volume and see if the hiss goes away or lessens.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 12-01-2012, 10:10 AM

Ahhhhh, I think you got it Clint!

When I read the very short manual of the AS50D, I thought I understood that the channel knobs did nothing to affect the gain, but I think you are right on that one : the master volume knob does nothing, but one still needs to adjust the volume knob on the channels so it's just coming out just right for the mixer.

At first I was sure it was the pickup in the Seagull S6 (LR Baggs piezo) that was too soft for the rest of my gear... It has no battery. no EQ...

You know what Clint, THANKS and have a great day! You really helped me out on that one.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:19 AM

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification