The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-06-2016, 01:09 PM

Default voice harmonizer.

Heard a guy singing trough a voice harmonizer the other day, it sounded great. I want to say it was made by digitech, but cant verify that. A search did not show me the same thing he used. I think the cost was less than 300. Anyone know what I may be referring to? Does anyone have any suggestions or point me in the the right direction for one?

If a snake falls into your boat, for Gods sake, don't shoot it.

Last edited by pick me; 12-07-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick me View Post
Heard a guy singing trough a vice harmonizer the other day, it sounded great. I want to say it was made by digitch, but cant verify that. A search did not show me the same thing he used. I think the cost was less than 300. Anyone know what I may be referring to? Does anyone have any suggestions or point me in the the right direction for one?
I am guessing this should have been posted elsewhere.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:06 PM

unless you know the brand name, all you can do it google voice processors globally to see what is available. digitech is one of the biggest names.

you may want to try gearslutz or gearpage also as well as search of this forum.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 12-07-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
unless you know the brand name, all you can do it google voice processors globally to see what is available. digitech is one of the biggest names.

you may want to try gearslutz or gearpage also as well as search of this forum.

play music!
Thanks for your reply, but was not really looking for info here on that device I saw. Instead was asking in general if anyone had experience with any voice harmonizer in that price range, and what were their thoughts. Sorry I did not make myself clear on that.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:11 AM

This is what I use.
Check out the TC Helicon Harmony G XT

http://www.tc-helicon.com/en/product...-harmony-g-xt/
Old 12-08-2016, 07:11 AM

I use a TC Helicon Harmony Singer pedal: http://www.tc-helicon.com/en/products/harmony-singer-2/

Well under $300. Very basic and easy to use. Good reverb, auto EQ and natural sounding harmonies. No pitch correction though if that's something you want/need.

FWIW I owned a Digitech vocal harmonizer which I found to be less natural sounding and not as straight forward to use.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-09-2016, 01:14 AM

I have TC Helicon Play Electric. Its ok, ubut nothing special. It does quite a lot in one box. Never use the Harmonizer, it sounds awful IMO. That effect sounds weird even on expensive units. It's a hard one to get right I guess. I see people like them, but I don't hear why.. Voice effect units are not done by many companies. Beware the quality of hyped consumer units. They're mediocre IMO. I will only trust a studio engineer with buying advice for voice effects next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2017, 07:44 AM

I also use a TC Helicon Harmony G . Mine is the earlier model, not the XT

It does a good job - I've found that the key to realism is to use as little harmony as possible... a little goes a long way

1)use intervals close to the note you're singing. The wider the transposition, the more unnatural it sounds.

2)don't use 3 part when 2 part will do

3)bring it in and out - definitely for large parts of the song, maybe even for phrases within the chorus
Old 02-06-2017, 07:47 AM

And another thing about the TC model - I also use it to serve as a mini-mixer with reverb, even when I don't need harmony

I can plug my guitar and mic into it and it will allow me to mix them and add reverb - then I just send 1 XLR to my amplification.

It will do stereo if you have a stereo system, BTW
Old 02-06-2017, 08:06 PM

I have a Digitech Vocalist Live 3 which retailed for $299 when I bought it but now goes for well under that. What I love is that I can d.i. into a PA system with guitar and vocal on 1 channel. Also, the tuner is decent. The guitar effects are decent. Playing around with the vocals can be overwhelming and it takes a while to get the right patch that suits your needs. I've never taken the time to program my patches as I probably should. I usually just reset the patch I like each time I plug it in. There is usually no problems with hissing or anything like that and the guitar preamp is really good. It also provides phantom power for a mic which is nice.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick me View Post
Thanks for your reply, but was not really looking for info here on that device I saw. Instead was asking in general if anyone had experience with any voice harmonizer in that price range, and what were their thoughts. Sorry I did not make myself clear on that.
Boss VE20 - durable!!!! Versatile.

Love mine. Use it all the time, once you get used to working it....you will too. Use it during the chorus, or for certain lines. Then its really pro sounding. Don't use it all the time ....although some singers use the doubling function to thicken up the voice.

The processing alone is worth it. Proper reverb, delay, eq, really make the voice sound professional, takes it of the campfire sound. The harmonies on the Boss, there are so many pre programmed combinations, like dozens. Then you can customize them.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

I've been using the TC Helicon Harmony Gxt for about 7 years. I recently added the TC Play Acoustic. Both do a great job and can be had for less than your budget. Some interesting BodyRez and other options on the Play Acoustic.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:28 AM

I had an Electro Harmonix Voicebox. It's a very cool device. I just sold mine for $125 and you can probably get one used in that range. The pros are excellent tracking and versatility, durable ironclad build and ease of use. I never had a problem with it, and it sounded very cool.

The con on every one of these devices is it's a gimmick, and if you're a solo performer it may get old in a hurry. But if you are the backup vocalist in a duet or if you're in a band and want to add harmonies as part of the mix, it's a nice thing to have. I just wasn't using it enough.

I haven't tried the TC Helicon devices, but I did try the Digitech and liked the Voicebox better.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip B View Post
I also use a TC Helicon Harmony G . Mine is the earlier model, not the XT

It does a good job - I've found that the key to realism is to use as little harmony as possible... a little goes a long way

1)use intervals close to the note you're singing. The wider the transposition, the more unnatural it sounds.

2)don't use 3 part when 2 part will do

3)bring it in and out - definitely for large parts of the song, maybe even for phrases within the chorus
I would echo this sentiment. I regard it like a strong spice, discretion is your friend when using these units. However, I disagree with those who think they can't be used tastefully.

I use the TC Helicon Harmony G-XT. There are versions produced before and after mine. I think all can be used well or very badly, depending on the application.

The keys are laid out by Phillip B above. I would add:

1. Make sure your guitar is in tune. Not just relative to itself, but exactly in A440.
2. Make sure your singing is in tune
3. Make sure whatever chord you are playing has a third in it. Chords that alternate between sus2 and the third are going to make the harmonies warble. Sometimes you'll have to simplify your guitar playing while the harmonies are being generated.
4. Keep the harmony voices mixed lower than instinct might suggest. On my unit, I keep it at or below 9 o'clock. It should subtlely sweeten the sound, rather than cover it in gooey whipped cream.
5. Resist the temptation to use it for songs that have long sections of three part harmony. It works, but it's a very cheesy version of CSN or the Eagles.
6. Don't be fooled into thinking it will cover up bad vocals technique. Rather, it will just create more, bad vocal technique.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 02-07-2017, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Gimmick? I see it as a tool to achieve the sound I want. Much like a pickup, an acoustic amp, and a good PA. An electronic tuner. Reverb. Chorus.

Singers have been using multi-tracks when recording for decades. I don't know that anyone sees that as a gimmick. A vocal harmonizer allows an individual to have harmonies when playing out. Just like some guitar players use pedals to get the sound they like.

Different perspectives.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars