The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-27-2017, 03:38 AM

Fender. (Stratocasters, Telecasters in particular and Fender amps).

Having said that, I do like a nice semi (Gretsch in particular and/or some Gibson's) and I own a beautiful Samick Greg Bennett Royale thin-line semi which I go to sometimes, but I have no love for Gibson solid body electrics.

Last edited by Steel and wood; 07-27-2017 at 03:43 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
I could never understand why Gibson put such crappy tuners on such expensive instruments.

Your Gibson tuning probs are rarely due to the tuners but rather the angle of the string from the nut to the tuner which creates binding at the nut.

A good Gibson is a beautiful thing. As are Heritage, G&L, Gretsch, Music Man, Guild etc. There are so many good guitars made both here and overseas these days. Enjoy the hunt.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:25 PM

As you can see by my sig, I'm strictly a low-budget kinda guy. That said, I love the G&L Tribute stuff.

Budget price but high in quality. Good quality hardware and pickups. My three G&L's Tributes cost me a whopping $850. The Bluesboy is my favorite of the lot. I love the neck and it has A LOT of tonal variety.

I have nothing against Fender or Gibson, but I hate playing the same gear that everybody else uses, simple as that.

If I hadn't gone the G&L Tribute route I would've chosen Reverend. They have their own feel & vibe and i like that.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 07-27-2017, 02:54 PM

I pick a little banjo, and there are plenty of "banjo snobs" who think if you are not playing a banjo with Gibson on the headstock, then your banjo is inferior and you are not taken seriously as a player.

I pity these people. Like guitars, there are soooo many other brands of banjo (American and foreign) that are every bit as good and often better. And usually less expensive.

Gibson banjos could be hit and miss. There were some years when they were not good at all. The best ones were definitely the finest in the business. Gibson's (particularly the pre-war ones) had a sound all their own, although nowadays there are a lot of banjos that replicate the sound very well.

Still...the snobs would keep playing their Gibson's, even if it was a crappy one, and still think they were better than anyone who didn't.

Funny thing is....Gibson doesn't even make banjos anymore.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawsoniii View Post
I pick a little banjo, and there are plenty of "banjo snobs" who think if you are not playing a banjo with Gibson on the headstock, then your banjo is inferior and you are not taken seriously as a player...
Alan Munde, Don Reno, and Bill Emerson play/played Stellings...

Jens Kruger, Bela Fleck, Tony Trishka, and Terry Baucom play Deerings...

I'd take them seriously...
Old 07-27-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Alan Munde, Don Reno, and Bill Emerson play/played Stellings...

Jens Kruger, Bela Fleck, Tony Trishka, and Terry Baucom play Deerings...

I'd take them seriously...
It is primarily the parking lot pickers and local jammers who are the snobs. They figure if Gibson was good enough for Earl (Scruggs), it's good enough for them.

Of course, the vast majority of them don't know that Earl played a Vega for many years!
Old 07-27-2017, 09:05 PM

My uncle makes some sick electrics, and winds his own pickups too. Hopefully he finishes the one I ordered a century ago soon! [emoji23]
Old 07-28-2017, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Fender. (Stratocasters, Telecasters in particular and Fender amps).

Having said that, I do like a nice semi (Gretsch in particular and/or some Gibson's) and I own a beautiful Samick Greg Bennett Royale thin-line semi which I go to sometimes, but I have no love for Gibson solid body electrics.
I hate snobbery but when it came to owning a guitar, my goal was an electric guitar with the iconic Fender decal on the headstock and an acoustic with the my favourite Martin scrawled on the headstock, irrespective of anything else out there which was potentially better.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:43 AM

We live in the golden age of guitars, right now. There have never been so many good guitars, both acoustic and electric, in every price range. Forty years ago, if you bought an electric guitar for $250, it was probably a piece of crap. Now your $250 will get you a decent playing and sounding guitar that will stay in tune and won't have strings 1" off the fret board. I have a few of those (that I really bought to experiment on), and I was amazed by almost all of them. The electrics I play in our band are always in rotation - I tend to play one for 2 or 3 weeks and then switch - are from Fender, Gibson, Epiphone, Rickenbacker, Gretsch. I like them all. I have also put in some time on borrowed Guilds and G&Ls. I like them, too. I have a Classic Vibe Squier Tele that I would bring to any gig without hesitation - it's way better than it should be.
Buy the guitar you like, forget the name on the headstock.
Old 07-28-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
Buy the guitar you like, forget the name on the headstock.
Best advice I've heard in a long time!
Old 07-28-2017, 08:23 AM

Back in 1967, my parents bought me my first real guitar a Guild Starfire III. Over time, life got in the way and I wasn't playing guitar very much so I sold it. After I turned 60, seven years ago, I decided to get back into guitar again so I bought a cheap Strat. After performing some modifications I understood the allure of the Strat, it's a very comfortable and versatile instrument. However, I always missed the Guild. So two years ago I purchased a Korean made Guild Starfire III to replace the original Hoboken one. The Guild was just as I remembered, light weight and great tone. Two different guitars for two different purposes.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras1500 View Post
Back in 1967, my parents bought me my first real guitar a Guild Starfire III. Over time, life got in the way and I wasn't playing guitar very much so I sold it. After I turned 60, seven years ago, I decided to get back into guitar again so I bought a cheap Strat. After performing some modifications I understood the allure of the Strat, it's a very comfortable and versatile instrument. However, I always missed the Guild. So two years ago I purchased a Korean made Guild Starfire III to replace the original Hoboken one. The Guild was just as I remembered, light weight and great tone. Two different guitars for two different purposes.
Y'know....every guitarist needs at least one of each of the following style guitars: Tele/strat, Les Paul, acoustic, hollow body, semi-hollowbody......

And throw in a Gretsch, for the "Gretsch sound" (in order to make it even, because it won't do to have an odd number of guitars).
Old 07-28-2017, 11:33 AM

Default Fender Love? Suhr-tainly!

How on earth have Suhr Guitars not been mentioned?!? I tend to be a fan of the Fender legacy and always have at least one T-style and one S-style in my herd. And I like the look of old school Fender, but John Suhr has taken the Fender legacy to a new level. You get the Fender feel (scale length, bolt-on necks, nitro finishes) but with modern touches (Silent Single Coil technology, compound radii fretboards, rolled edges, PLEK'd setups) that make the playability out of this world. I still have one Fender in my lineup, but my Suhr Classic Antiques are what I grab first.

2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 07-28-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Glen View Post
How on earth have Suhr Guitars not been mentioned?!?
For me simply price... It's not apples to apples when you go suhr to fender.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:13 PM

Godin makes really good affordable electrics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars