The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-22-2023, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
As with a lot of "I'm a beginner, how do I..." questions the answers are hard to form because the questioner doesn't supply enough detail -- and significantly this is because few know as a beginner what details are important to their recording journey which has only begun. So, this isn't the questioner's fault. It's just where they're asking from.

Simplest answer first: Garageband in current versions is fully capable of recording acoustic instruments and voice. It's now evolved to be sort of Logic Pro Lite, and yes, it, like Logic, has lots of other stuff it can do. Th0se extra things may or may not become important to you later. There are many programs that record and let you edit and mix audio. Lots of ways to debate which is best, but one can do good work in Garageband as long as you don't need to do really high track counts (unlikely for most acoustic guitarist singers)

OP doesn't mention budget except to say they can afford only one good mic. To some folks "one good mic" is a four-figure price tag thing. To others, with tighter budgets and/or lower commitment it might be $200. You can record guitar and voice with one mic, even more than one musician. You balance your playing volumes by touch or distance from the mic and picking the best place for the one good mic.

There are so many ways to go forward from what small parts we know, I have a hard time giving the OP what would likely be a best answer, other than generally saying that getting something and starting recording will instruct you at what's important to you more than my rough guess. But here's my rough guess anyway.

Assuming you can afford it, I'd get an interface with 4 mic inputs. The typical one or two input entry level boxes might limit you too soon if you're thinking about two instruments or singers, even if you start out with one mic. Startup mic? One of the inexpensive sub $200 "Large Diaphragm Condenser" mics might start you off well as you can use it for 1 mic recordings at a distance well enough to get your feet wet. I won't say which one, because I haven't been all that satisfied with any I've used, but they work, you get your feet wet figuring out some other things about recording while using one. I'm sure there will be favorites suggested. Start saving up for mics as you learn more.

If you want to "cheat" your one mic rule, I make use of one of these for practical reasons sometimes with acoustic guitar:

Irig Acoustic Stage

It is a mic, and sounds decent, but it's inexpensive and you can call it "a pickup." It gives some separation between vocals and acoustic guitar and it is largely immune from most bad recording space issues. By not counting it as a mic you could record your voice with your other "one microphone" and by placing that vocal mic closer you could also minimize bad room sound as you start up.

As I said, that's just a guess, a shot in the dark. And this sort of thing is endlessly discussable. There are so many routes to start.
Really helpful! Yes, I agree, I need to give myself room to upgrade to some extent.
Old 09-22-2023, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
In the audio world there are few places where the adage "you get what you pay for" are as true as with microphones.

If it were me & I was going to buy 1 mic for basic home recording, I'd go with a Roswell mini K67x:
https://roswellproaudio.com/products/mini-k67x

If that's more than you wanted to spend, you could try one of the new Rode NT-1s:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-filter-silver

I wouldn't go cheaper than that. You'll just be fighting the "cheap mic" sound & end up realizing you need a better mic.
Thanks! I have the second of those two mics saved on Sweetwater. Will check out the more expensive one now,
Old 09-22-2023, 10:26 PM

Quote:

If it were me & I was going to buy 1 mic for basic home recording, I'd go with a Roswell mini K67x
Hi,

I've only heard the K47. If you have also heard that can you give me a comparison to the 67? If not, how would you describe the 67?
Old 09-22-2023, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Hi,

I've only heard the K47. If you have also heard that can you give me a comparison to the 67? If not, how would you describe the 67?
the k67x doesn't have the mid-bump that the k47 has. It's smoother. The x in the name denotes a transformer based output, so that adds some harmonic coloration. At the studio we have a pair each of the k47x & k67x. They are remarkably close, except for the k47x being a bit more mid forward. I tend to prefer the k67x when I use them because it feels a little smoother, with a little more air on the top.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 09-23-2023, 06:22 AM

Quote:
the k67x doesn't have the mid-bump that the k47 has. It's smoother. The x in the name denotes a transformer based output, so that adds some harmonic coloration. At the studio we have a pair each of the k47x & k67x. They are remarkably close, except for the k47x being a bit more mid forward. I tend to prefer the k67x when I use them because it feels a little smoother, with a little more air on the top.
Thank you.
Old 09-23-2023, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlemantel View Post
Thanks, BTW, I will also look at the Scarlet solo
Don't buy the Solo unless you are really down to the last penny. One input is too limiting considering the small savings.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-23-2023, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlemantel View Post
Thanks! I have the second of those two mics saved on Sweetwater. Will check out the more expensive one now,
Glad someone jumped in with the less-expensive condenser recommendation. The pop filter & shock mount are good to have and they throw in a cable, also needed.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-23-2023, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Don't buy the Solo unless you are really down to the last penny. One input is too limiting considering the small savings.
This makes a ton of sense. Thanks
Old 09-23-2023, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Glad someone jumped in with the less-expensive condenser recommendation. The pop filter & shock mount are good to have and they throw in a cable, also needed.
Thank you!
Old 09-23-2023, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I'd second this. Eventually you'll want a second mic to record in stereo, or record two things at once, and you don't want to have to get a new interface too. The $50 extra is well worth it IMO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD