The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-20-2023, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist-1977 View Post
I just got 2 AT2035 and placing them on the mic bar like 8" apart sounds too boxy (wish I can post a photo). I hope it is s set up issue and not malfunction as I got them used ��

The other stupid question I have - the word Audio Technica is facing me. Is that the right orientation? Or should flip them 180 degrees?

Any placement tips and ideas are welcome.

Thx
Yes logo facing you and or guitar

So you have them 8" apart but how far from guitar sound board ? also try to have the guitar sound hole spaced evenly in between the two mics, not have the sound hole directly in front of either mic.

So "Boxy" ?. Couple thoughts, first boxy is subjective term so hard to know exactly what you are hearing --- BUT in general
LDC's are more sensitive and pick more off axis than SDC's so for example often any "boxy" sound is more an issue of room reflections issues in an untreated room (especially the further away from the guitar sound board you have them ..

Also note that in general LDC's are going to have a bit more overall space/presence in the sound, which can sometimes be perceived as boxy if you not used to hearing it

And consider you may want to (if not already set up a free SoundCloud account. and set up a free photo web hosting account like for instance Imgur for posting photos here on AGF

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-20-2023, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Copy the url of the image, use the little "Insert Image" icon above the reply text box, paste in your URL, and click "OK".

Thank you. That is what I though I did.
Anyways here is the setup as you see. Another thing I noticed LDC are much lower volume wise, so you need to raise the gain a bit more to get the same output. Is this the case for LDCs?
Old 09-20-2023, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Anyways here is the setup as you see. Another thing I noticed LDC are much lower volume wise, so you need to raise the gain a bit more to get the same output. Is this the case for LDCs?
Photo showing

so to clarify are the SDC 8" apart and the LDC are more - how much in inches "

I would suggest to start with the SDC's not mounted yet just play with LDC and get used to them before adding the SDC

Volume difference yes different mics often require different gain settings to reach the same level but that is more specific to the individual mic components than being just a n LDC vs. SDC thing.

Also not that in the set up shown in photo depending on wide the LDC are space (and if the sound hole of the guitar is in the center of the SDC's , the LDC's could simply getting further away from the concentrated volume at the sound hole

Also what are the dimension's of your room ?
It appears you are near the window and wall facing corner
I would try moving you and mics out and away from the corner and wall .
Try more to the center of the room on the short wall and about 1/3 of length of the long dimension on long wall away from short wall

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 09-20-2023 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-20-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Photo showing

so to clarify are the SDC 8" apart and the LDC are more - how much in inches "

I would suggest to start with the SDC's not mounted yet just play with LDC and get used to them before adding the SDC

Volume difference yes different mics often require different gain settings to reach the same level but that is more specific to the individual mic components than being just a n LDC vs. SDC thing.

Also not that in the set up shown in photo depending on wide the LDC are space (and if the sound hole of the guitar is in the center of the SDC's , the LDC's could simply getting further away from the concentrated volume at the sound hole

Also what are the dimension's of your room ?
It appears you are near the window and wall facing corner
I would try moving you and mics out and away from the corner and wall .
Try more to the center of the room on the short wall and about 1/3 of length of the long dimension on long wall away from short wall
SDCs are like 8" apart. LDCs are like 19-20" apart. All mics are like 50-60cm from the guitar sound board.

The room is 17x12' ( thankfully not a square), in the center is my queen size bed 😀
I can try playing on the bed facing the short wall with the window.

Thanks for the info did not know that LDCs pick more off acid that SDCs.

But what I am starting to realize is it is very difficult to mount 2 SDCs and 2 LDCs on the same mic bar and get decent sound from all 4 mics, agree?

I might have to get another mic bar either with a dedicated stand or add to the same stand (preferable if on the same stand of course as it saves space)
Thx a lot
Old 09-20-2023, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
SDCs are like 8" apart. LDCs are like 19-20" apart. All mics are like 50-60cm from the guitar sound board.

The room is 17x12' ( thankfully not a square), in the center is my queen size bed 😀

But what I am starting to realize is it is very difficult to mount 2 SDCs and 2 LDCs on the same mic bar and get decent sound from all 4 mics, agree?

I might have to get another mic bar either with a dedicated stand or add to the same stand (preferable if on the same stand of course as it saves space)
Thx a lot
Ah OK so a true bedroom studio. I have the same issue and yes at times my recordings can sound boxy because of room issues especially when I am too far from the mics

Here even though they are ribbons (figure of 8) and I do have some treatment behind them on the wall 6-7 ft away, to my ear the guitar is still just a tad bit boxy sounding
so I am going to start putting a couple free standing gobo panels behind the mic's

You may want to try the LDC's closer like half that distance like 8-10 inches

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 09-20-2023, 01:11 PM

Quote:

The room is 17x12' ( thankfully not a square), in the center is my queen size bed ��

Thx a lot
In the configuration you show if you are attempting to use all 4 mics you're almost assuridly going to run into severe phase cancellation problems. That ain't pretty.

Last edited by Rudy4; 09-20-2023 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:30 PM

Quote:
thanks i tried to space them and have them like 10" apart (instead of the SDC at the edges of the bar) and they sound better. Still my ear is not used to them yet They sound a bit boxy compared to the SDC.

But i guess my plan to have all 4 mics on a single 10.5" bar (like SDC at the edges and LDCs like 8" apart) is NOT gonna fly. Options:
A. Get another mic bar with a separate stand OR
B. Get a splitter or another small bar (as a splitter) to have one bar for the SDCs and another for the LDCs like b2b. Space is limited in my bedroom, so trying to avoid option A.

In general, I like a single LDC on guitar...but if I'm using 2, I typically go for both 10-12" off the guitar. One pointing at the neck/body joint & the other pointing just behind the bridge.

Also...there is a more than likely chance you will need to scoop some low mids out of the recording. Those can make it sound woolly. Boxy is probably closer to 700-800Hz (if we're using the same meaning for "boxy", which we may not be). Speaking very generally.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 09-20-2023, 02:35 PM

Quote:

That's a whole lot of mics for a guitar...just sayin'

1, maybe 2, is all you should need. If you want a mix of LDC/SDC, you could do 1 of each...that's pretty common.

Keep in mind the 3 to 1 rule (well, more of a guide really) for multiple mics on a single source. The distance between the mics should be 3 times the distance between the mic & the source. Again, this is really a guide...there are reasons to ignore this, but start here until you know why you want to ignore this.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
2019 Fender Tele
Old 09-20-2023, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
In the configuration you show if you are attempting to use all 4 mics you're almost assuridly going to run into severe phase cancellation problems. That ain't pretty.
To be clear I am not using all 4 mics. Like I said earlier 2 will be used for rythym and 2 for solos. Micing a guitar with 4 mics in a room is crazy ..I know at least this much.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
That's a whole lot of mics for a guitar...just sayin'

1, maybe 2, is all you should need. If you want a mix of LDC/SDC, you could do 1 of each...that's pretty common.

Keep in mind the 3 to 1 rule (well, more of a guide really) for multiple mics on a single source. The distance between the mics should be 3 times the distance between the mic & the source. Again, this is really a guide...there are reasons to ignore this, but start here until you know why you want to ignore this.

To be clear I am not using all 4 mics. Like I said earlier 2 will be used for rythym and 2 for solos. Micing a guitar with 4 mics in a room is crazy ..I know at least this much.

Having said that I tried 2 SDC as a stereo pair and one LDC near the bridge and the sound was nice, it had a broader spectrum than that just picked up by the SDC.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
In general, I like a single LDC on guitar...but if I'm using 2, I typically go for both 10-12" off the guitar. One pointing at the neck/body joint & the other pointing just behind the bridge.

Also...there is a more than likely chance you will need to scoop some low mids out of the recording. Those can make it sound woolly. Boxy is probably closer to 700-800Hz (if we're using the same meaning for "boxy", which we may not be). Speaking very generally.
Thanks Steve, I tried close but 10-12" is very boxy and in your face sound to my ears. Minimum I read online for a spaced pair is 50cm- more if the room allows.
Old 09-20-2023, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Ah OK so a true bedroom studio. I have the same issue and yes at times my recordings can sound boxy because of room issues especially when I am too far from the mics

Here even though they are ribbons (figure of 8) and I do have some treatment behind them on the wall 6-7 ft away, to my ear the guitar is still just a tad bit boxy sounding
so I am going to start putting a couple free standing gobo panels behind the mic's

You may want to try the LDC's closer like half that distance like 8-10 inches
Thanks for your feedback, nice playing and very nice voice too 👍. I can see you are placing both ribbons close to the 12th fret? Is that correct? It sounds nice to me maybe a hair boxy, did you try placing the ribbons further away from the guitar? In classical you get a less boxy tone by playing closer to the bridge. So maybe if you move your pick a bit away from the sound hole it would help?
Old 09-20-2023, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks Steve, I tried close but 10-12" is very boxy and in your face sound to my ears. Minimum I read online for a spaced pair is 50cm- more if the room allows.

Again, they are no rules. 50cm (about 20”) is pretty far back. I suspect the boxiness is not so much how close, but where the mics are pointing.

I typically record acoustics from 10-12” and get great results. But it takes a minute to find the right spot for the mic(s).

Try setting up, putting on some headphones & listening as you move the guitar around in front of the mics. Maybe even listen to 1 mic at a time. Try to find the spots that sound balanced & natural & make a note of where those are.

Again, stay tuned. There’s going to be a great article that goes into acoustic guitar recording hitting very soon.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
2019 Fender Tele
Old 09-20-2023, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback, nice playing and very nice voice too ��. I can see you are placing both ribbons close to the 12th fret? Is that correct? It sounds nice to me maybe a hair boxy, did you try placing the ribbons further away from the guitar? In classical you get a less boxy tone by playing closer to the bridge. So maybe if you move your pick a bit away from the sound hole it would help?
Thanks ,

If I remember correctly the appearance is skewed by camera angle (which is off to right ) the ribbons are long ribbons (the black area) and are actually positioned more from the sound hole back towards the bridge (More like it appears in the start of the zoom out) The notion of playing with pic more towards the bridge is a good notion I will play around with with that.

I have not tried with ribbons further away because these ribbons are said to be better when close mic-ed. So I may try both further and closer with less gain

That said : I was also I was experimenting with the up and down horizontal placement (which bing closer to the sound hole could possibly be contributing to boxy) Up and down in an effort to not get the side movement issue when using them in the traditional left and right space pair placement.
But I also have no doubt my room is contributory also.

In this one same guitar but I am using just the flesh of my thumb for strumming. I have the ribbons higher and more in line with neck-body joint, same with single LDC for the riff parts

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 09-20-2023 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-20-2023, 05:26 PM

Quote:
If I remember correctly the appearance is skewed by camera angle (which is off to right ) the ribbons are long ribbons (the black area) and are actually positioned more from the sound hole back towards the bridge (More like it appears in the start of the zoom out) The notion of playing with pic more towards the bridge is a good notion I will play around with with that.

I have not tried with ribbons further away because these ribbons are said to be better when close mic-ed. So I may try both further and closer with less gain

That said : I was also I was experimenting with the up and down horizontal placement (which bing closer to the sound hole could possibly be contributing to boxy) Up and down in an effort to not get the side movement issue when using them in the traditional left and right space pair placement.
But I also have no doubt my room is contributory also
I see maybe my eyes were tricked by the angle. It seems mic placement is like 70% of the recording game 😀
I have honestly had not any success in getting a good tone closer than 50 cm from the sound board. I hear what people are saying but note that steel strings are different than classical/flamenco guitar. It is a totally different instrument (in spite of both being called guitars lol).

Up and downs affects the tone buy in a different way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD