The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-08-2023, 10:14 AM

Default External condenser microphone on a Tascam DR-05

Hallo everyone , I'm completely newbie on recordings .I'd like to improve my home recordings of my Tascam DR-05 with a external condenser microphone ( like a Tascam M-80 or a Marantz Mpm 1000 , for example ) , but they require a 48 v Phantom supply . Is this possible , with an adapter ( for example a Neewer or a Behringer PS400 ) and a cable ? ( from XLR of the adapter to the MIC-EXT IN mini-jack of the DR-05 recorder ) .
If this is possible , can make the difference ?

Thank you
Old 09-08-2023, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelpicker View Post
Hallo everyone , I'm completely newbie on recordings .I'd like to improve my home recordings of my Tascam DR-05 with a external condenser microphone ( like a Tascam M-80 or a Marantz Mpm 1000 , for example ) , but they require a 48 v Phantom supply . Is this possible , with an adapter ( for example a Neewer or a Behringer PS400 ) and a cable ? ( from XLR of the adapter to the MIC-EXT IN mini-jack of the DR-05 recorder ) .
If this is possible , can make the difference ?

Thank you
Other than needing adapters to get you into the DR-05 input there shouldn't be a problem with doing that. I would go into the menu and make sure you turn off the external microphone phantom power selector.

Tascam provides the DR-05 with 5 volt phantom power that can be turned on of off to the external microphone input. This would normally be used for electret condenser microphones like lapel mics.

I've used external lapel mics with my DR-05 but it's been a while. Make sure you check what the input configuration is. I believe it requires a TRRS plug to break out for the stereo microphone connection. Don't quote me on that, I've slept since then!

Investigate your mic choice closely. Mics like the Marantz MPM-1000 and Tascam M-80 (the AT 2020 is another medium diaphram) aren't true LDCs. Those mics have medium sized (less than 3/4") diaphragms which place them firmly in the medium diaphragm category. There are several medium diaphragm mics that work on battery power and don't require an auxiliary 48 vdc phantom power source. I have AKG C-1000 mics and Rodes (I think mine are NT3s...) that both use a 9 volt battery.

There's nothing particularly wrong with medium capsules, but I believe many of these mics a purposefully made to look like LDCs primarily to appeal to consumers who think they are getting an LDC at a lower price point.

Last edited by Rudy4; 09-08-2023 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-09-2023, 06:12 AM

Thank you for your suggestions . I must investigate for the best way , also considering that my budget at this moment is not over 100 dollars...
Old 09-09-2023, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your suggestions . I must investigate for the best way , also considering that my budget at this moment is not over 100 dollars...
Reading a bit to understand how to best apply what you already have is going to be much more cost effective than patching a mic in that probably won't sound any better than the omni capsules in the DR-05, especially since it records in stereo by default. (We have two ears already... )

Put your DR-05 on a boom stand and plug a good set of headphones in if you need to monitor. The DR-05 has decent omni capsules that translate to pretty good recordings if you can find a good space to do your recording.

I'd suggest you listen to Doug Fearn's "The room where music is recorded" podcast. Much better yet for the home recordist is Doug's "Recording in improvised spaces".

You might get some good ideas for what actually works.

Last edited by Rudy4; 09-09-2023 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-09-2023, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Reading a bit to understand how to best apply what you already have is going to be much more cost effective than patching a mic in that probably won't sound any better than the omni capsules in the DR-05, especially since it records in stereo by default. (We have two ears already... )

Put your DR-05 on a boom stand and plug in a good set of headphones if you need to monitor. The DR-05 has decent omni capsules that translate to pretty good recordings if you can find a good space to do your recording.

I'd suggest you listen to Doug Fearn's "The room where music is recorded" podcast. Much better yet for the home recordist is Doug's "Recording in improvised spaces".

You might get some good ideas for what actually works.
I couldn't agree more. I've used a similar product (Zoom H4N) for years, and given the ability to seek out a sonically superior spot in the house is worth its weight in gold. I'll agree that some of my more expensive mics, given a really solid-sounding room, might sound a tad more detailed, but the Zoom result is at least very convincing. I'd do precisely what Rudy is suggesting. Find an excellent sonic spot. Get headphones. Get a decent boom. Work to find the best placement for the mics and get comfortable. If the DR-05 is anything like the Zoom, great acoustic tracks with minimal hassles are doable.
Old 09-14-2023, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Will also lend my support to Rudy4’s advice. Ive used the DR05 (and -40) as well as some newer MTRs. IME, all these consumer grade studio products are capable of yielding excellent results, but in the 300-500 range, are not going to hit at the level of pro grade products. Where you make the biggest gains are in the recording environment. Most 100-300 mics will not by their own accord, be a significant improvement over tascam or zoom built-in mics. Creating a good acoustic space is likely your best bang for the buck.

If you are set on using an external mic, I would suggest putting the money for an adapter instead towards upgrading your DR05 to a 40, which has phantom power and XLR jacks already. The 05 is a fine recorder, but I found he 40 much more versatile. Audio quality is similar.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 09-14-2023, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Don't forget to record with the recording format set to"WAV 24bit", and sample set to "44.1k"

The WAV 24 bit will get you the best sound the recorder can get you, including the maximum dynamic range which means less chance of signal clipping.

Do not record with any of the MP3 formats.
Old 09-17-2023, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post

Put your DR-05 on a boom stand and plug a good set of headphones in if you need to monitor. The DR-05 has decent omni capsules that translate to pretty good recordings if you can find a good space to do your recording.

Ok thank you ! But can I connect without problems the DR-05 recorder >to a soundcard or an audio interface and > this one to a pc ? Is it better by usb or by mini-jack ? Could you suggest me an 'entry-level' external soundcard that fits good fo this situation , trying to avoiding adapters? Thank you for your patience

Last edited by Travelpicker; 09-17-2023 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-17-2023, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Ok thank you ! But can I connect without problems the DR-05 recorder >to a soundcard or an audio interface and > this one to a pc ? Is it better by usb or by mini-jack ? Could you suggest me an 'entry-level' external soundcard that fits good fo this situation , trying to avoiding adapters? Thank you for your patience
Neither is ideal. For most, the proper workflow would be to record to the Tascam per usual. Remove the SD card from the Tascam when the recording is complete. Insert the SD card into your computer. Download the files from your SD card to the computer itself. Once the files are downloaded from the SD card to the computer, import those files into whatever DAW you may be using. Using multiple layers or A/D and D/A conversions (as your post suggested) is never ideal and wholly unnecessary.
Old 09-18-2023, 01:07 AM

I thank you a lot , finally my ideas are clearer ! I just need to learn to use in the proper way f.e. Audacity , without struggling through the choice of a useless soundcard .
Some people have continously suggested me to buy that 'magical box ' , that not fits for what I have to do at home , I guess
Thanks again
Old 09-18-2023, 07:53 AM

Quote:
I thank you a lot , finally my ideas are clearer ! I just need to learn to use in the proper way f.e. Audacity , without struggling through the choice of a useless soundcard .
Some people have continously suggested me to buy that 'magical box ' , that not fits for what I have to do at home , I guess
Thanks again
Joseph has provided you with good information on how to transfer the files you have recorded with your DR-05 to your computer.

You don't need to remove your SD card, though. When your DR-05 is turned on you can attach the DR-05 to your computer with a USB cable at any time to transfer files. When you plug in the USB cable the DR-05 will provide you with a prompt to select "Buss power" or "Storage". Selecting "Storage" allows transferring your DR-05 files directly to your computer.

You DO need an audio interface ("magical box") to be able to listen to your edits in your DAW (Audacity) using high quality headphones or powered studio monitors.
Old 09-18-2023, 10:26 AM

ok... so , if I got it what you said , the work of the soundboard is just to allow me to listen what I did with a daw ? I mean , for my home recordings I just need my Tascam and a DAW ? Maybe I didn't understand what Joseph said
Old 09-18-2023, 06:27 PM

Quote:
ok... so , if I got it what you said , the work of the soundboard is just to allow me to listen what I did with a daw ? I mean , for my home recordings I just need my Tascam and a DAW ? Maybe I didn't understand what Joseph said
First, you need to be clear about what you're using so folks here can understand your concerns and give you appropriate advice.

I think you mean "audio interface" instead of "soundboard"?

Provided you understand the previous information and have moved a recording done with your DR-05 to your computer, how are you listening to your file once you import it into Audacity?

You should make an attempt to do what you wish to do one step at a time and we can offer assistance when you have difficulty with getting the proper results.
Old 09-19-2023, 05:08 AM

Pardon , I meant an object like this : https://m-audio.com/m-track-duo
or this one

https://www.amazon.it/Price-Square-A...s%2C123&sr=8-1

But I don' t understand if it's useful while I'm recording or only for 'manipulate' the tracks after ; in this case, would do the work that a DAW as Audacity can't do ?
maybe I ain't got this previous phrase :

''Using multiple layers or A/D and D/A conversions is never ideal and wholly unnecessary.''

I point out that I just play instrumental pieces
I really apologize for the stress .
Old 09-19-2023, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Pardon , I meant an object like this : https://m-audio.com/m-track-duo
or this one

https://www.amazon.it/Price-Square-A...s%2C123&sr=8-1

Those "objects" are USB audio interfaces.

But I don' t understand if it's useful while I'm recording or only for 'manipulate' the tracks after ; in this case, would do the work that a DAW as Audacity can't do ?

The answer to that depends on WHAT you are recording with. I don't know if you're using a Zoom handheld portable recorder or recording directly into a computer using a DAW.

The USB audio interface normally doesn't do anything other than accept analog device inputs, convert them to a digital signal that the computer uses, and conversely, changes the computer's digital files back to analog audio that you can listen to. They also often have a headphone amplifier built in.

maybe I ain't got this previous phrase :

''Using multiple layers or A/D and D/A conversions is never ideal and wholly unnecessary.''

As a simple example, if you record to a Zoom H series the A/D conversion is already done in the device. That's why you can directly export your recorded tracks to your computer... no need to feed them through an interface.

You still need an interface to do the D/A conversion so you can listen to your work.

I point out that I just play instrumental pieces
I really apologize for the stress .
No stress on anyone's part here.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD