The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-04-2023, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Default Zoom H4n Pro - looking for other users to swap ideas

I'm hoping to exchange ideas with other owners/users of this specific device.

I recently found one used (in brand new condition) and got it for a decent price. My objective is to use it as a practice device so I can work on developing my parts for the cover tunes I play with a partner.

I know I can stack (add) tracks in MTR mode (up to a total of 4), and even combine some if 4 is not enough.

While I'm impressed by the multi-track recording capabilities and sound quality, I'm unclear if it even does what I'm hoping to accomplish.

What I want to do is this:

- Go online and capture a canned recording of a favorite tune that I hope to cover on Track 1.
- Using headphones, play my own basic rhythm guitar part along with that on Track 2.
- Then delete Track 1, keeping only a practice track of my own guitar on Track 2.

Having perused a bunch of how-to YouTubes and pored over the 156-page manual, I'm not seeing anything about how to do that. Is there something I'm missing, or is deleting a single track from an existing project just not do-able on this complicated little device?

If I can't simply delete a track, can I bounce that Project to another Project, but only Track 2 - without Track 1?

Thanks for looking. I'll share what I can here too if I have any epiphanies.

Last edited by tinnitus; 09-05-2023 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-04-2023, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post

I recently found one used (in brand new condition) and got it for a decent price. My objective is to use it as a practice device so I can work on developing my parts for the cover tunes I play with a partner.

I know I can stack (add) tracks in MTR mode (up to a total of 4), and even combine some if 4 is not enough.

While I'm impressed by the multi-track recording capabilities and sound quality, I'm unclear if it even does what I'm hoping to accomplish.

- Go online and capture a canned recording of a favorite tune I hope to cover on Track 1.
- Using headphones, play my own basic rhythm guitar part along with that on Track 2.
- Then delete Track 1, keeping only a practice track of my own guitar on Track 2.

Having perused a bunch of how-to YouTubes and pored over the 156-page manual, I'm not seeing anything about how to do that. Is there something I'm missing, or is deleting a single track from an existing project just not do-able on this complicated little device?

If I can't simply delete a track, can I bounce that Project to another Project, but only Track 2 - without Track 1?

I don't use / own one of these, but it seems like that would be an easy thing to do. If "deleting" your original downloaded track isn't an option you should be able to simply lower the track volume to zero on playback, no real need to delete it.

Note: Page 106 of the manual states that you can delete individual files within the the recording "folder" that would hold all of your project files.

All of these types of recorders often have a lot of bells and whistles to appeal to the greatest number of potential users. Ninety-five percent of the features probably won't be used by an average user. The easiest way to power through all the excess baggage is to DO what you want to do and work out the details when you get to that aspect of what you want to do.

Last edited by Rudy4; 09-04-2023 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-04-2023, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I have the Zoom H6, but I think all those Zoom recorders work about the same.

Quote:

- Go online and capture a canned recording of a favorite tune I hope to cover on Track 1.
Yes, the H6 can do it; I use this feature a lot because I don't like to use a DAW. Basically, what you want is exactly what the "overdub" feature does.

The steps are:
1. Record your backing track normally.
2. Put the recorder into "overdub" mode (using the menus).
3. Change to a different channel (your original channel where you recorded your backing track is going to become a playback channel).
4. Record your overdub. It's going to be recorded into its own track (which is a very good thing; just like a DAW).
5. Go into the menu and select "mixdown".

Quote:
Is there something I'm missing, or is deleting a single track from an existing project just not do-able on this complicated little device?

I don't think you can delete a single track on the recorder because everything is project based (i.e. folders). You can only delete based on projects/folders.

However, given what I think what you're asking, you don't really need to delete anything because the Zoom allows for 99 takes (which it'll retain all of them). You can just keep overdubbing (up to 99 takes) and pick your favorite.
Old 09-06-2023, 04:39 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I would transfer the files to a PC where you can use a DAW and the power of the computer's file sytem tools to organize things.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-09-2023, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
I have the Zoom H6, but I think all those Zoom recorders work about the same.

Yes, the H6 can do it; I use this feature a lot because I don't like to use a DAW. Basically, what you want is exactly what the "overdub" feature does.

The steps are:
1. Record your backing track normally.
2. Put the recorder into "overdub" mode (using the menus).
3. Change to a different channel (your original channel where you recorded your backing track is going to become a playback channel).
4. Record your overdub. It's going to be recorded into its own track (which is a very good thing; just like a DAW).
5. Go into the menu and select "mixdown".

I don't think you can delete a single track on the recorder because everything is project based (i.e. folders). You can only delete based on projects/folders.

However, given what I think what you're asking, you don't really need to delete anything because the Zoom allows for 99 takes (which it'll retain all of them). You can just keep overdubbing (up to 99 takes) and pick your favorite.
Thanks for sharing Jack. I was waaay overthinking this, looking for some kind of delete function button - but there is none.

Turns out it's far simpler. Let's say I have 2 or 3 tracks in a Project and want to delete Track 1 (maybe the original recording that I'm going to cover). I just open the project and record over Track 1 using the microphones with input volume at zero. Track deleted. (And a lot cleaner than trying to eliminate leftover "ghost bass" from those 1990s Tascam/Fostex cassette tape machines.)

I'll learn more and get into punch-in/punch-out stuff with time. But for now, this'll just be a handy gadget to capture a simple acoustic rhythm guitar track as a base for working on my lead riffage.

Of course, playing with the album is a great way to learn (that's how I taught myself guitar in the early-70s). But now I'm sorting out 2-part acoustic arrangements of classic rock/blues covers to play at open mics with my buddy, and I want my at-home practice tracks to sound as much as possible like what we'll be playing out.

Last edited by tinnitus; 09-09-2023 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-12-2023, 04:01 PM

I finally managed to get this overdub to work on my h6. But was wondering how to add an existing backing track online onto H6 to use it for overdubbing.

Any ideas?
Old 09-12-2023, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarist-1977 View Post
I finally managed to get this overdub to work on my h6. But was wondering how to add an existing backing track online onto H6 to use it for overdubbing.

Any ideas?
I know the mini USB jack works as an output for transferring projects to computers, etc. Does it maybe work as an input too on the H6?

Here's the link to your manual posted online (my own manual for the H4n is 156 pages!) Perhaps there's something about your USB in this one. PDF manuals are huge and they take a few minutes to download (and store in documents on a laptop)
http://https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/...dfs/E_H6v2.pdf

Simpler for me with the H4n, I just play the existing music I want over good speakers (usually from a YouTube vid) and record it close up with the built-in mics. Barring any background noise in the room while I record, that's plenty good enough quality for a practice backing track.

---------------------------

That's actually how my initial question (post #1 above) came up - the one about deleting a track.

- Using the mics, I recorded ZZ Top, Chevrolet (Rio Grande Mud album) on Track 1.

- With headphones on one ear (to prevent speaker bleed-over), I recorded my own rhythm guitar onto Track 2 - again with the mics.

- With the basic structure of the song to practice over (my own guitar with the correct tempo and breaks in all the right places), I no longer needed Track 1.

- So I simply re-recorded over Track 1 with mic input volume at zero. Track deleted.

Last edited by tinnitus; 09-13-2023 at 06:42 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD