The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-16-2023, 02:44 PM

Smile Sound Proofing a door only

Not for Musical reasons at this point, more for privacy....

Rented a room with kitchenette & bathroom at side of a house that is adjacent to the living room...

I can hear them & they can hear me....through the door, they put something underneath the door, which does nothing.

This forum is probably the best place I know of to get the skinny on what to do...You guys have gone throughtthe trial & error process, which I hope to eliminate

It's a regular size door...

Was gonna just buy foams etc. on Amazon, but I hate wasted purchases...Thanks for any and all help in advance. Oh and aestetics is everything as I keep my bachelor pad pristine.

If I got a lady over I don't want them to hear through the door....

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 09-16-2023, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Foam weatherstrip around the door jam and something to block the space at the bottom of the door, maybe one of their door draft stopper for the bottom of the door. Closing the air gaps will do a lot. And they shouldn’t mind the insulation mod, but it could get a bit stuffier in the room at some point.

A heavier door would help but assuming you aren’t going to replace the door you might look at the automotive sound deadening mat material, though the adhesive stuff might get you in trouble with the landlord, besides looking a bit industrial…
Old 09-17-2023, 06:18 AM

I'd try something like a thick moving pad that you could hang over the door area, lapping the outer frame (and bottom) by 6 inches. You could hang by the top two corners and it would be instantly removable.

It wouldn't cost much and you could always add a nice outer fabric cover if it works.

If it doesn't work you can always use it to help you move to another place!
Old 09-17-2023, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Not for Musical reasons at this point, more for privacy....

Rented a room with kitchenette & bathroom at side of a house that is adjacent to the living room...

I can hear them & they can hear me....through the door, they put something underneath the door, which does nothing.

This forum is probably the best place I know of to get the skinny on what to do...You guys have gone throughtthe trial & error process, which I hope to eliminate

It's a regular size door...

Was gonna just buy foams etc. on Amazon, but I hate wasted purchases...Thanks for any and all help in advance. Oh and aestetics is everything as I keep my bachelor pad pristine.

If I got a lady over I don't want them to hear through the door....

Couple questions
What exactly did they "put under the door" I ask because my initial thought was to try a rubber door sweep at the bottom (given most interior door have a 1/2" to 2 " gap at bottom So if what they put at bottom actually sealed the bottom like a door sweep would, and you can still hear them then I would think the door is probably a cheap hollow core door in which case sealing around the door edges will not do much . So if a new solid door is not an option and then a door sweep and rubber weather striping ( as if it were an exterior door)

So in lieu of a new door as suggested something to cover the entire door past the edges is probably going to be needed

Question will the door be used for ingress and egress at all or will it stay shut ?

If it will stay shut then the suggestions are probably based more on your budget and or how DIY you are than anything else.
From moving blanket like Rudy said to some kind of small wall with sound deading

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-17-2023, 12:20 PM

Many interior doors are hollow core. Mass is one of the most effective ways of sound reduction so I'd start with replacing the door with a solid core design. Adding insulation around the edges and at the bottom will not make a significant difference if sound passes easily through the door itself.
Old 09-18-2023, 08:21 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Maybe this enclosing the door? It's portable.

https://www.gikacoustics.com/product...xoCRSIQAvD_BwE

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-21-2023, 09:40 AM

You could get a sound blanket (like they use on movie sets) and hang it on the door. Amazon has a handful of options: https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Blanket...Sound+Blankets

You will also need to seal the gap around the door tjat the blanket doesn't cover.

Nothing is going to give you 100% isolation, but you can lessen the bleed.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD