The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-20-2015, 03:04 PM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Hi Smitty,
There's an "instrument check" area. I've never used it, but I reckon they give you a ticket so you don't have to lug your case up hill and down dale.

The Wilkes Acoustic Folk Society will have a couple of jamming tents running all day each day.

Wish I were there.
You goin? I have the soft Taylor case with. 210 dread. It's not too heavy, but the we'll probably get there late morning and stay till the Avett bros finish. How about food there?
Old 04-20-2015, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

I've checked a guitar there before, I'd do it again in a heartbeat, you won't have to worry about your instrument at all. Waitaminnit, Smitty, you asked about food? Brother, there's a food tent like you've never seen before, BBQ, burgers, Italian (I eat the Parmesan sandwich every year, but grab a handful of napkins), maybe some Chinese, Thai food, turkey legs, dessert, homemade eclairs, eclairs, did I mention eclairs? Some other stuff I'm forgetting. A huge relaxation tent if you just want to get away from it all. Or get a massage, no joke! I do it every year. Also, Merlefest is an alcohol free event....yay!!!

You'd do well to bring a folding chair and set it up near the main stage when you get there, just don't forget where it is, and then you're free to explore all twelve (I think) stages.

Some of the best shows I've ever seen were people I've never heard of before, last year Mandolin Orange, year before Eilen Jewell, I'd never heard of Paul Asbell before seeing him maybe ten years ago, he's my favorite acoustic guitarist now. The big shows at the main stage ain't where it's at for me and I'm usually gone by nightfall, although I'll be hanging around for Dwight Yokum whenever he plays. I think what I'm trying to say is Merlefest is a lot of fun, but don't tell anyone, it's getting crowded there.

Amy, if I see you with the red bandana I'll stop and introduce myself......
Old 04-20-2015, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the info. My in laws were there ten years ago but I'll bet it's much bigger now. I'll look for the red bandanna I'll be the short fat old guy carring the tan Taylor soft case. Be good to meet some folks from the forum!
Old 04-25-2015, 08:42 AM

Well here it is Sat morning and rain. I can't make myself go in the rain. Hope it goes well for everyone though. I'll watch golf instead.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Wouldn't be Merlefest without a sprinkle or two.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 04-25-2015, 10:51 AM

This bunch is getting ready now, and debating. One niece said I don't care I'm going to see the Avett bros.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

I went Thursday and Friday… had more fun than a barrel of monkeys! Loved it!
Old 04-25-2015, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Hey Kerbie!!! I had my eyes out for you, but it's a big place, for sure. Glad you had fun. I am really looking forward to tomorrow there, Roy BookBinder, Paul Thorn, Robert Earl Keen and Dwight Yoakum. I am hoping that Roy has the Reverend Robert Jones playing with him, a really talented guy, I think you would like him, he is the real deal.

Looks like the weather won't be as bad as predicted.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Hey, JC… didn't see you, but I saw thousands of my closest friends.

I saw Roy Book Binder Thursday afternoon and he was excellent. Kind of a short set, but I enjoyed it.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty70 View Post
... see the Avett bros.
They were one of my discoveries this year. What a fun bunch of players and very talented.

As far as the weather, it never rained enough to make mud problems. We were tent camping a few miles away and had just a few short light showers come thru. But that was more tolerable than Thursday night's overnight low of 39 degrees. brrrrr!

The fest opened with LeeAnn Womak and closed with Dwight Yokum. In between there were a whole bunch of great performers to be found. Sam Bush Band was awesome, as was my personal #1 bluegrass fave Nashville Bluegrass Band. The Honeydew Drops were a fun sweet couple with lovely songs;
Willie Watson - just terrific!!

I got to meet and chat with Del McCoury; that was a lot of fun.
Logan Brill - beautiful voice.

Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn were there doing their awesome stuff on Thursday night. I can't get enough of those two.

The Moore Brothers Band will make your jaw drop when the 11-year old on guitar gets going.

The Steel Wheels were great. Did some sweet harmonys.

Ragbirds, The Stray Birds, Bryan Sutton,.

I missed everyone else. Overheard a bunch without knowing who it was.

Didn't get much picking done there - I don't play many of the traditional old time and blue grass stuff that is the glue of these events, and the "anything goes" tent did not go very far away from either old time or blue grass. Plus, they are IMO poorly positioned next to the Dance Stage. Can you imagine competing with Donna the Buffalo?

Merlefest overall is a really great event, well run and if you're a bluegrass, country, oldtimey music enjoyer , it's worth being on your bucket list. You get a whole lot of notes for your dollar!

cheers

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 04-28-2015, 02:24 PM

Glad to hear you had a good time. My folks got home about 2:30 am. Said the Avetts were great. I stayed home and watched movies

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic