The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-11-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
All I am saying is that my particular watch has not given me any trouble in the years I have owned it. I can't make general statements about other people's watches simply because I don't know those watches. The people I know either don't wear watches anymore or have electronic models. My experience does not have imply anything about anybody else's. When I purchased it, I was told that I would probably want it cleaned and checked in 20 years or so. Maybe I was lied to, I don't know. I do know that I have not had any trouble with it, and am sorry for those here who do have trouble with theirs. I have no explanation, defense about my experience, so there really isn't much I can add to the discussion without commenting on things I know nothing about (such as how valid another person's experience might be).

Tony

You should have service done as the manufacturer suggests or reasonably close to it. That way you do not create more risk for worn or broken parts. It's not much different than choosing proper maintenance for other machines that are metal, bearings, and some parts metal on metal.

The results from proper service have showed with my watches. They loose accuracy as years pass and that improves after service.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
You should have service done as the manufacturer suggests or reasonably close to it. That way you do not create more risk for worn or broken parts. It's not much different than choosing proper maintenance for other machines that are metal, bearings, and some parts metal on metal.

The results from proper service have showed with my watches. They loose accuracy as years pass and that improves after service.
I will check into it. Thanks for the heads up.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-21-2015, 09:28 AM

My Apple Business Team reps gave me some unexpected hands on with the watch yesterday. I didn't have to do the appointments, but I was picking up a large business order of iPads and systems.

The physical design and is nice. I liked it more than I expected. It is bigger than the two watches I wear most but similar to the dive and Suunto compass watch I have.

Unfortunately my biggest interest - a better or next generation strapless HRM - is still unknown. That feature might change my wait for gen 2 attitude. The sport model's not priced far away from other watches.

It's well beyond my experience with the other smart watches via the apps, app capability, and what I'll call not just a conduit between phone and wrist. The software I use for my time tracking and reporting all that to different projects, departments and locations works the watch. It would be sweet to be grabbing the phone less. I see mapping and measurement apps I use are integrated with the watch.

Thinking of my job when it was getting the first Apple Newtons and digital cameras in business, I have to see this is quite polished.

Now it's wait and see how good the HRM is and decide if I will mothball or service my Swiss watch for what the Apple Watch costs.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

I stopped in at our local Apple Store and tried on the watches yesterday. Very cool and functional, and I'm going to get the bigger one, probably in the least expensive style, and see how it goes. They are back ordered until June, so I'm waiting until I get back from a big May/June trip I have scheduled, to place my order. Definitely not for everyone, but I could see plenty of useful features for my work flow and needs.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-21-2015, 12:58 PM

I tried out the Apple Watch last Saturday. I found them easy to use though I had the foreknowledge that the screen was both touch and pressure sensitive. I definitely want the stainless steel version with the sapphire crystal but I haven’t decided whether to get one in the next few months or wait for the next version. I first have to upgrade my iPhone 4 to model 6 which I expect to do next month.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I like the idea of the sapphire one, too. What I'll do is get the least expensive one, and see how the predictions for a next generation model go. If it's going to be a while, I'll upgrade to the sapphire one, and either sell, or pass the first one to one of my kids. The 4 to 6 upgrade is going to be huge for you, and I think you will really like the difference. The camera is way better, and the battery life, too.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-21-2015, 04:09 PM

Hitting the Apple Store tonight to replace my ancient iPad (which no longer holds a charge and can’t use any iOS newer than 6). Might try out an Apple Watch, but I still prefer the look of my size-appropriate 30-yr-old Seiko analog.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:44 PM

Don't need to spend money on expensive Apples I can't eat!
Old 04-21-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I tried out the Apple Watch last Saturday. I found them easy to use though I had the foreknowledge that the screen was both touch and pressure sensitive. I definitely want the stainless steel version with the sapphire crystal but I haven’t decided whether to get one in the next few months or wait for the next version. I first have to upgrade my iPhone 4 to model 6 which I expect to do next month.
Hmm.... You need to be in the screen size debate - not watch debate. You'll enjoy that jump no matter what size screen you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
Hitting the Apple Store tonight to replace my ancient iPad (which no longer holds a charge and can’t use any iOS newer than 6). Might try out an Apple Watch, but I still prefer the look of my size-appropriate 30-yr-old Seiko analog.
I'm predicting you'll love the Retina display jump if it's that old. Newer form factor is nice too - especially if you have an original you're replacing. I got a dozen new iPads yesterday and like the shape but not enough to replace mine that I think is gen 4.

Lately I've been replacing batteries and doing some repairs on devices if they still run the latest OS.

Herb & Sandy I suggest getting your desktop OS up to date if not done for the new devices. The features called continuity and hand off are very nice.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Hmm.... You need to be in the screen size debate - not watch debate. You'll enjoy that jump no matter what size screen you get.

I'm predicting you'll love the Retina display jump if it's that old. Newer form factor is nice too - especially if you have an original you're replacing. I got a dozen new iPads yesterday and like the shape but not enough to replace mine that I think is gen 4.

Lately I've been replacing batteries and doing some repairs on devices if they still run the latest OS.

Herb & Sandy I suggest getting your desktop OS up to date if not done for the new devices. The features called continuity and hand off are very nice.
I update EVERYTHING to the newest OS it’ll handle. Just updated my phones to iOS 8.3, and will update my iPad minis (1st & new 3rd gen) as soon as I finish posting here and checking mail. The iPad I traded in couldn’t handle an update from iOS 6 to 7 w/o significantly slower performance, and wouldn’t update to iOS 8 at all. And my original wi-fi-only iPad can’t update past iOS 5.1! (So there are apps I can’t even put on it--apps for some of my accounts that no longer work with a mobile browser).

Traded in my 2011 64GB 3d gen iPad (out of AppleCare, doesn’t hold a charge) today for a 3rd gen 64GB iPad Mini. Was going to get the iPad Air 2, but comparing the features & config. I needed, the Air 2’s larger size and anti-glare coating didn’t warrant spending the extra Benjamin--especially since the new Mini 3 will be my on-the-go device (consigning my original Mini to bathroom e-reader duty, no pun intended). Actually got $85 for turning the old iPad in! (When I replace my orig. wi-fi only 1st gen iPad, it’ll probably be with a wi-fi-only Air, since that one will never leave the house. No need for fingerprint sensor or anti-glare on that one).

While browsing, I tried out an Apple Watch. Meh. I guess since I carry a purse, I don’t mind having to reach for my phone to answer it or check on an alert. Looked kinda dorky on my small wrist, too--like a men’s tank watch.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
I update EVERYTHING to the newest OS it’ll handle. ...
Me too. ……
Old 04-23-2015, 10:56 AM

Seems that even a majority of Apple fanboys in this forum are put off by the Apple watch. That's a good sign at least.

Apple is really good at baiting people out of their money with products that are 5 years or more behind the time. Android has trounced iOS in terms of functionality. I fully expect new releases of Windows and Linux to trounce Mac OS. Apple's computers are overpriced and under-specced, as are the iPhone and iPad, and the Apple Watch when compared to other smart watches.

Apple is a joke of a company. I regret ever buying into their stuff for 10 years. No more.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_guitarist View Post
Seems that even a majority of Apple fanboys in this forum are put off by the Apple watch. That's a good sign at least.

Apple is really good at baiting people out of their money with products that are 5 years or more behind the time. Android has trounced iOS in terms of functionality. I fully expect new releases of Windows and Linux to trounce Mac OS. Apple's computers are overpriced and under-specced, as are the iPhone and iPad, and the Apple Watch when compared to other smart watches.

Apple is a joke of a company. I regret ever buying into their stuff for 10 years. No more.
Whatever your personal experience, a joke of a company, especially one in the business of personal electronics, doesn’t become twice the size of Exxon-Mobile nor make the top of Forbe’s list of the World's Most Valuable Brands.

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2015/...everyone-else/
Old 07-07-2015, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Bringing back this thread from April...

My birthday is this month. My wife surprised me with an Apple Watch. She had asked me if I wanted one a while back, and I said, "Not sure what I'd use it for.

I had a good idea how I'd use the iPad when it first came out (marine navigation), but quickly discovered SO MANY other uses for it... when others were predicting "the tablet thing is a waste of time and money." And I have bought a couple more since that first one.

Well, an Apple Watch showed up. My wife said, "This will be great for you at the helm. Sometimes you miss company texts because you don't have your iPhone where you can feel the vibrate or hear the ping. I think you'll find plenty of use for it. Plus, it's fun!"

She knows I like nice watches. Two days into the Apple Watch, and I am enjoying the experience. Text and e-mail notifications are felt on my wrist; a quick glance and I know whether to address it now or later, at my convenience. Weather. Stocks. Yes, I have answered the phone from my watch. Calendar reminders. Surprisingly, it does a lot of stuff. Not all completely necessary... some duplication of how I use my phone (some said that about the iPad, too). Like other Apple products: nice presentation, intuitive use.

I have some other thin, sleek watches, and some thicker pilot-type watches. This is thick. The black sport band looks and feels decent. And, my wife was right - it's fun. I haven't thought of my other watches as fun.

Not a necessity, but some people say that about multiple guitars, too.

Captain Jim
Old 07-07-2015, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

News out today that sales have plummeted since it came out. Usually Apple gizmos hold reasonably steady, or even grow. Maybe with good "word of mouth" like the Cap'n's here, it'll pick back up. I'm still not a buyer...no WAS as of yet!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic