The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-10-2015, 07:22 AM

Does anybody really know what time it is, does anybody really care?
Old 03-10-2015, 07:30 AM

Still rockin my flip phone so that would be a no.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:23 AM

I don't need one...no matter what Mr. Jobs said.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
I don't need one...no matter what Mr. Jobs said.
You still hear from Mr Jobs? Whoa, that's a rare gift indeed!
Old 03-10-2015, 08:55 AM

Looking at ones wrist (with a glazed expression) will probably become the most common human movement/stance for the next few years until Apple develop the iChip.

Hopefully I'll be dead by then.

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 03-10-2015, 09:42 AM

I heard somewhere that if you put an Apple emblem on a dead cat, someone would buy it....
Old 03-10-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryR View Post
I heard somewhere that if you put an Apple emblem on a dead cat, someone would buy it....
Success envy and Veblen goods predate Apple, but you might be missing how their products are also quite main stream and decent value among first tier tech products.

I get the tribal loyalty people have for many things but also understand our CFO analyzing Apple purchases against others and that has yielded a few surprises.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

i might get one....maybe....
Old 03-10-2015, 12:37 PM

Why anyone would forego the convenience of a wristwatch is beyond me but we’re all different. I have found it inconvenient to reach into my pocket, pull out my phone and awaken it every time I want to know the time or how much time has passed while occupied with one task or another when a flick of the wrist will accomplish the same thing when wearing a wrist watch - especially when I’m traveling with my suitcase and guitar in hand.

After it was announced last year with a presumed $395 price tag, I fully intended to buy an iWatch when they became available. Now I see that the entry level watches will cost $345 while the model I want with a metal band and sapphire crystal is in the $550 - $1,000 price range. Since last July (before the official iWatch announcement), I bought a solar powered watch whose accuracy is automatically adjusted to atomic clock time every 24 hours at a price that exceeds the entry-level iWatch, I have to delay buying one and may even wait for the next iteration.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:03 PM
Dan - Charter Member

I wonder whether there will be an exchange or upgrade program for the more expensive watches, when the inevitable next version comes out.

My own bad experience with this is a couple of low-end iPod Touches we bought new and not discontinued. Ten months later, while they were still under warranty, Apple discontinued software updates for that model.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:10 PM

I want a real watch, not a watch that looks and acts like a gadget from a dated comic strip. No thanks.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Why anyone would forego the convenience of a wristwatch is beyond me but we’re all different. I have found it inconvenient to reach into my pocket, pull out my phone and awaken it every time I want to know the time or how much time has passed while occupied with one task or another when a flick of the wrist will accomplish the same thing when wearing a wrist watch - especially when I’m traveling with my suitcase and guitar in hand.

After it was announced last year with a presumed $395 price tag, I fully intended to buy an iWatch when they became available. Now I see that the entry level watches will cost $345 while the model I want with a metal band and sapphire crystal is in the $550 - $1,000 price range. Since last July (before the official iWatch announcement), I bought a solar powered watch whose accuracy is automatically adjusted to atomic clock time every 24 hours at a price that exceeds the entry-level iWatch, I have to delay buying one and may even wait for the next iteration.
My hopes have been heart rate monitor without strap that tops the reliability of others. Maybe ironic but I bought a solar powered Citizen watch with threaded crown and big numbers while waiting, and for something that is functional and modest when I travel some places. I have some neat mechanical watches from the 1930s - 1980s that are my favorites.

So far I like the looks of the cheapest AL model but all interest here is about function and waiting to know if the HRM works with mountain biking.

The other wait is for all of this encrypted infrastructure to be connected to my health provider. Tomorrow afternoon will be an inane waste of time at outpatient clinic that should eliminate humans and I'm sure my insurance company will be charged more than the watch!

P.S. I'm running around a site this afternoon in an occasional scenario where the idea of phone and messages on wrist would be nice.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:58 PM

Not me. Unbelievably to most people, I'm not enough of a "techie" that I even have a smart phone. My cell is a basic, not texting, no camera, just talk model. That's the way I like it. But my wife has all the good stuff.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
You still hear from Mr Jobs? Whoa, that's a rare gift indeed!
I understand that’s gonna be an included app.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Seriously, not until it can "facetime" just like Dick Tracy's.

Thinking more, probably never. I look at my phone too much now as it is. I'd be constantly looking at it. I'd become neurotic.
It was bad enough before, raising a generation of reversed cervical spinal curves by constantly looking downward at the phone, pad, pod. Now we're introducing lateral rotation into the equation, with resultant neck pain and upper extremity neuronal dyskinesis.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic