The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-15-2024, 05:03 PM

Default Dixie Chicken (Little Feat Cover)

Here's an old Little Feat tune that I have played for decades. I used to do it with bands and solo, and it usually went over well, especially with a crowd full of drunks, lol. I made a few mistakes, nothing too horrible, and I play it in G, a step down from the original key of A, which is too high for me to sing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD2f7SRGK7s
Old 03-15-2024, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

That was fun! I saw Little Feat in concert in Lisner Auditorium, and I often wonder if it was one of the concerts that ended up on Waiting for Columbus.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Cool! Nice job on this, Tim! Nice and relaxed!

- Glenn
Old 03-15-2024, 07:36 PM

Hey, Great job Tim. As you know on my top three or four bands ever. Got to see them with Lowell George three or four times. They still play this song as their encore 50 years later. And an unusually simple tune for them. You nailed it.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 03-15-2024, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
That was fun! I saw Little Feat in concert in Lisner Auditorium, and I often wonder if it was one of the concerts that ended up on Waiting for Columbus.
Thank you. I never got to see them with Lowell unfortunately, as I am only 52. I did, however, get to see them many times with everybody else, and they always melted my face. They were the nicest people, too, always shaking hands and signing autographs after shows. I definitely miss Paul Barrere and Richie Hayward. Talk about some unique players. Whew!

As far as the show you saw at Lisner Auditorium, it's quite possible some of that was used on Waiting for Columbus. That's on my top 5 all-time live album list for sure.
Old 03-15-2024, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Cool! Nice job on this, Tim! Nice and relaxed!

- Glenn

Thank you, Glenn. That was the vibe I was going for. It certainly isn't perfect, but I tried to make it fun and relaxing.
Old 03-15-2024, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
Hey, Great job Tim. As you know on my top three or four bands ever. Got to see them with Lowell George three or four times. They still play this song as their encore 50 years later. And an unusually simple tune for them. You nailed it.
Thank you, Joe. I figured you might like that one. Yeah, it's one of the Little Feat tunes I can actually remember. Some of their stuff is kind of tricky. From what I understand, Lowell liked the simpler, more straightforward material. I know that when they jammed Dog Day at the Races, Lowell would leave the stage, lol. I believe it was Billy Payne who said in some interview that Lowell's ideal music was a simple guitar part, simple bass, and a drum machine, along with vocals. That always strikes me as funny, seeing how eclectic and groovy Feat always has been. Billy said that Lowell was always trying to get Richie to play a simpler style, but that was never gonna happen.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

One of my favorites too Tim. I play it a lot, I think I even have it on YouTube somewhere. I love the way you play it so easy with lots of tasty little fills. And your vocal is spot on again.

Like most of my stuff, I attempt to strum it into submission, my own personal little wall of sound, which can work or not. I'm a decent lead player, acoustic or electric, but only if I'm playing over a rhythm. I've never been worth spit at incorporating fills into my rhythm playing. Except when I was trying to become a fingerpicker, but I never got natural enough with that to sing over it. I really admire the way you so naturally pull that off.

I saw the Feat a few times post Lowell. I had tickets to see them with him in late 77 or early 78, but I was sick as a dog and had to bail. Figured I'd catch him next time through, and I would have, but he didn't live long enough. One of the few regrets of my concert-going life. I think I saw everyone else I wanted to (other than those who died when I was way too young to be going to concerts). But missing Lowell is still a regret.

-Ray
Old 03-16-2024, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
One of my favorites too Tim. I play it a lot, I think I even have it on YouTube somewhere. I love the way you play it so easy with lots of tasty little fills. And your vocal is spot on again.

Like most of my stuff, I attempt to strum it into submission, my own personal little wall of sound, which can work or not. I'm a decent lead player, acoustic or electric, but only if I'm playing over a rhythm. I've never been worth spit at incorporating fills into my rhythm playing. Except when I was trying to become a fingerpicker, but I never got natural enough with that to sing over it. I really admire the way you so naturally pull that off.

I saw the Feat a few times post Lowell. I had tickets to see them with him in late 77 or early 78, but I was sick as a dog and had to bail. Figured I'd catch him next time through, and I would have, but he didn't live long enough. One of the few regrets of my concert-going life. I think I saw everyone else I wanted to (other than those who died when I was way too young to be going to concerts). But missing Lowell is still a regret.

-Ray
Ray, thank you for the very kind words and the conversation. I could talk to you all day, man. Gosh, I played this tune with a lot of different bands, and it always went over pretty well. I am in the Deep South, and it was close enough to southern rock to go over well, lol. I was a strictly basic rhythm guy and leaned on my voice, which was much higher and cleaner when I was younger. But I got sick of all the lead guitarists I had to deal with, especially when they were cranking Marshall stacks right behind my head. I can still hear the ringing! So I learned to do a lead/rhythm kind of thing and gravitated toward playing by myself or with one or two other people. It took me years and years of painful practice to play the way I do. It might sound effortless, but believe me, I sweated and bled working on all that picking and music theory.

Anyway, I would love to hear your version. If you have a chance, link me to your YouTube. I absolutely love the honesty and intelligence you bring to your singing and playing. It's very, very real, and some of your stuff hits me like a ton of bricks.

I think the concert I kick myself for missing was my one chance to see Ray Charles. He passed away around a year after I skipped that show.

I would have killed to have seen Lowell live. Man, I love that guy, such a character. At least you got to see the band plenty of times. They are so great and such nice people. I had the chance to hang out with Paul Barrere and Fred Tackett for a few minutes once, and they were a riot--the coolest cats you could ever meet. And they are both heroes to me.

Thanks again, my friend--Tim.
Old 03-16-2024, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad Bum View Post
Ray, thank you for the very kind words and the conversation. I could talk to you all day, man. Gosh, I played this tune with a lot of different bands, and it always went over pretty well. I am in the Deep South, and it was close enough to southern rock to go over well, lol. I was a strictly basic rhythm guy and leaned on my voice, which was much higher and cleaner when I was younger. But I got sick of all the lead guitarists I had to deal with, especially when they were cranking Marshall stacks right behind my head. I can still hear the ringing! So I learned to do a lead/rhythm kind of thing and gravitated toward playing by myself or with one or two other people. It took me years and years of painful practice to play the way I do. It might sound effortless, but believe me, I sweated and bled working on all that picking and music theory.

Anyway, I would love to hear your version. If you have a chance, link me to your YouTube. I absolutely love the honesty and intelligence you bring to your singing and playing. It's very, very real, and some of your stuff hits me like a ton of bricks.

I think the concert I kick myself for missing was my one chance to see Ray Charles. He passed away around a year after I skipped that show.

I would have killed to have seen Lowell live. Man, I love that guy, such a character. At least you got to see the band plenty of times. They are so great and such nice people. I had the chance to hang out with Paul Barrere and Fred Tackett for a few minutes once, and they were a riot--the coolest cats you could ever meet. And they are both heroes to me.

Thanks again, my friend--Tim.

Just to add, at the time, Tower of Power was big (Squib Cakes is an all-time favorite), and seeing Lowell George and the Tower of Power horn section at the same time was unreal. RIP Lowell.

I guess the fat man in the bathtub now gets to have whiskey for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and to blow it all at the Spanish Moon.
Old 03-16-2024, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post

Just to add, at the time, Tower of Power was big (Squib Cakes is an all-time favorite), and seeing Lowell George and the Tower of Power horn section at the same time was unreal. RIP Lowell.

I guess the fat man in the bathtub now gets to have whiskey for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and to blow it all at the Spanish Moon.
Dude, I can't even imagine how cool it would have been to see Lowell and the boys with that horn section. I think the only thing that might compare would be seeing early Chicago with the musical monster that was Terry Kath (still maybe one of the most underrated guitar players ever).

Time Loves a Hero is a favorite also. I need to go listen to the whole thing now!
Old 03-16-2024, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
OK, you asked…

https://youtu.be/rrEZG6NNJtU?si=_lhEJ6Dgqt7_8Y2U

-Ray
Old 03-17-2024, 02:41 AM

Quote:
I loved that, Ray. Thank you so much. I subscribed to your channel as well.

Hey, what is that guitar you are playing in that video? McPherson?
Old 03-17-2024, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I loved that, Ray. Thank you so much. I subscribed to your channel as well.

Hey, what is that guitar you are playing in that video? McPherson?
Thanks Tim. I don’t have much on YouTube. Most of my recorded stuff has been audio only and is on SoundCloud. I just started doing videos within the past several months and just haven’t put many up on YouTube.

And yeah, that’s a McPherson Sable, which is a remarkable guitar. I love my couple of Martins and play almost nothing but wood in our primary residence in Oregon, because the climate is so easy for keeping wooden guitars out in the room without major humidity concerns. But we spend winters in your state, in Wilmington (we have a daughter and a couple grandkids here) and the places we’ve stayed have had wild swings in indoor humidity, as low as single digits when it gets cold, as high as 70-80% when it’s humid but not warm enough to kick on the AC. So I end up playing the McPherson a ton here and I frankly love it. If I ever had to get down to one guitar for some reason, it would probably be that one. The Martins have some wonderful nuances, but the Sable is so well balanced, does everything well, no apparent weaknesses, and I never have to give a single thought to humidity or maintaining the guitar. I’m fortunate to have a few nice guitars.

-Ray
Old 03-17-2024, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks Tim. I don’t have much on YouTube. Most of my recorded stuff has been audio only and is on SoundCloud. I just started doing videos within the past several months and just haven’t put many up on YouTube.

And yeah, that’s a McPherson Sable, which is a remarkable guitar. I love my couple of Martins and play almost nothing but wood in our primary residence in Oregon, because the climate is so easy for keeping wooden guitars out in the room without major humidity concerns. But we spend winters in your state, in Wilmington (we have a daughter and a couple grandkids here) and the places we’ve stayed have had wild swings in indoor humidity, as low as single digits when it gets cold, as high as 70-80% when it’s humid but not warm enough to kick on the AC. So I end up playing the McPherson a ton here and I frankly love it. If I ever had to get down to one guitar for some reason, it would probably be that one. The Martins have some wonderful nuances, but the Sable is so well balanced, does everything well, no apparent weaknesses, and I never have to give a single thought to humidity or maintaining the guitar. I’m fortunate to have a few nice guitars.

-Ray
Well, I look forward to you doing more videos hopefully in the future.

I thought that guitar was either a McPherson or an Emerald, and both of them are incredible. I remember the old carbon fiber guitars, and they sucked, to be honest.

We have a mostly very humid climate in NC. I keep all my guitars in cases/bags and humidify when I am running heat in the winter. My guitar collection is an old Martin D2-R that I played for 20 years (needs a bunch of work), an ancient Yamaha FG335 (which hangs on the wall), an Alvarez MD60BG, an Alvarez AD60, a Yamaha FG830 (my favorite guitar), and a Yamaha FG800. My son has a Yamaha AC1R, a Squier Classic Vibes p-bass, and a Squier Classic Vibes Strat. That's a lot of instruments; none of them is expensive, but they all have a lot of soul, lol. Which Martins do you have?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell