The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-03-2024, 08:35 PM

Default Ovation piece broke off top of nut near edge

Have an Ovation deluxe celebrity CS257. Was used when I got it.

A piece/shard broke off the top of nut edge on Low E string side. I have the little broken piece.
Now I cannot put on the sixth string.

Q: Do you think the broken piece can be delicately glued back in place — or will the entire nut need to be replaced?

I have never had to deal with fixing or replacing a nut. Do not have access to special tools or know someone who does, if nut replacement requires this.

Main thing is: Do not want to do anything that could permanently damage the guitar.

Secondly, not able right now to spend a lot to fix this particular guitar, if say a luthier or expensive items are needed. .

Like it okay, but not wild about it.

Do not play out, just for fun at home. But like to have an acoustic and the Ovation is my only one right now
Thanks if you can advise.

https://imgur.com/TXm1AAH

https://imgur.com/BwxBun8

Last edited by zoey; 02-03-2024 at 08:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-04-2024, 02:54 AM

Yes you can glue the broken piece back on. I've done this myself on nuts before. The thing you need to be careful of is don't glue the nut to the neck/headstock. I've used epoxy for this with success.

If you have the time and tools you can make a new nut from a bone blank. The most important part of that is filing the nut slots
Old 02-04-2024, 03:31 AM
Charter Member

It's not a big deal. Plastic secures well with CA glue (superglue). Just be sure to mask off the area around the work and then immediately remove the tape after (in case you got some on a seam). I have a very expensive Brazilian rosewood Bourgeois that some fool dumped super glue all over when they tried to repair the nut. If you use common sense precautions, this is a very easy repair. There's a chance it may not hold because of the location, but you won't know until you try.

Also, test your CA glue on something before doing the repair. It expires and does a poor job of gluing up once it's bad.
Old 02-04-2024, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Yes you can glue the broken piece back on. I've done this myself on nuts before. The thing you need to be careful of is don't glue the nut to the neck/headstock. I've used epoxy for this with success.

If you have the time and tools you can make a new nut from a bone blank. The most important part of that is filing the nut slots
Thank you. I have the time, but not the tools or experience. Watched the videos of making nuts from bone blank. Interesting.

Guess I do not trust myself to do it correctly. Thanks again.
Old 02-04-2024, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
It's not a big deal. Plastic secures well with CA glue (superglue). Just be sure to mask off the area around the work and then immediately remove the tape after (in case you got some on a seam). I have a very expensive Brazilian rosewood Bourgeois that some fool dumped super glue all over when they tried to repair the nut. If you use common sense precautions, this is a very easy repair. There's a chance it may not hold because of the location, but you won't know until you try.

Also, test your CA glue on something before doing the repair. It expires and does a poor job of gluing up once it's bad.
Thanks. I am going to get some new glue and give it a go.
Should I use any special brand or type of tape? Like a painters or just regular masking.

Sorry about what occurred with your beautiful guitar.

I know of a new shop and they charge $35 for nut replacement plus cost of the nut. As long as they do not poke around and find other issues. That might be my fall back.

Thank you again.
Old 02-04-2024, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoey View Post
Thanks. I am going to get some new glue and give it a go.
Should I use any special brand or type of tape? Like a painters or just regular masking.

Sorry about what occurred with your beautiful guitar.

I know of a new shop and they charge $35 for nut replacement plus cost of the nut. As long as they do not poke around and find other issues. That might be my fall back.

Thank you again.
I like the yellow Frog tape on guitars but will go with blue 3M if the Frog doesn't want to stick securely.
$35 plus the nut seems too good. I imagine they're not spending any time really checking the intonation and adjusting. Sounds like a bit of a gamble but if you're not too concerned about the set up being great, $50 out the door isn't bad.
Old 02-04-2024, 07:45 PM

You need a new nut.
Old 02-04-2024, 08:34 PM

Ovation style nuts are available from Tusq and others. If the glue doesn't work, you should be able to find one online.
Old 02-04-2024, 09:13 PM

If you get epoxy to glue it yourself do not use the hardware store 5 minute stuff because it will eventually not hold. You need a good quality, slow set epoxy like West System.

But I strongly recommend that you take it to a tech have the nut replaced.
Old 02-14-2024, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
If you get epoxy to glue it yourself do not use the hardware store 5 minute stuff because it will eventually not hold. You need a good quality, slow set epoxy like West System.

But I strongly recommend that you take it to a tech have the nut replaced.
DO NOT USE EPOXY!!!!
Old 02-14-2024, 04:14 PM

'Superglue' laughs at any kind of tape. It can make its way under just about any tape and makes a mess consistent with that. For fewer dollars in the end, I suggest making a new nut. A new nut is less work and it doesn't need the Sorcerer's Apprentice of glues to get the job done. Or pay the tech to install a new nut, so long as you first have a conversation about what you expect. But you'll walk away with a repair that may well outlast its owner. Don't overthink.
Old 02-14-2024, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
'Superglue' laughs at any kind of tape. It can make its way under just about any tape and makes a mess consistent with that. For fewer dollars in the end, I suggest making a new nut. A new nut is less work and it doesn't need the Sorcerer's Apprentice of glues to get the job done. Or pay the tech to install a new nut, so long as you first have a conversation about what you expect. But you'll walk away with a repair that may well outlast its owner. Don't overthink.
And CA won't work. Ask me how I know
Old 02-14-2024, 05:17 PM

Had the same break on a nut on a Gibson ES320 back around '96. Used Crazy Glue. Its still good today. Just use a small amount so it doesnt ooze out when you put the broken piece back on. Hold it tight for a couple minutes and let it sit for a while.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair